Why not have disabled and 3-event Nationals at the same time?

jcamp

• Baller

Just saw the announcement that Paducah is hosting the 2018 Disabled Nationals (good on the host club Ski Nuts) and a thought came to mind: why not have the Disabled and 3-event Nationals at the same time and place?

I realize that adds more pulls/potentially days to the 3-event Nationals, but I think it would be cool two have the two groups together. After all, it's only about 60-70 additional pulls and we're doing the same thing. I know it would be inspiring for me to have a chance to watch those skiers and perhaps they'd like being at the 3-event Nationals as well.

Food for thought.

• Baller
@Broussard Some LOCs, including Okeeheelee have been pushing for higher participant numbers in order to generate the revenue they need to cover their costs and make it worth their time. Adding disabled Nationals would provide a good little boost.

• Baller

@jcamp the idea is awesome. And if the logistics work out it’s a fantastic idea. However, the logistics are the difficult part. Besides appropriate access to the starting docks, etc (managable) a typical pull might take 3-5x longer.

Again doable but the site would need the “lake hours” to get it done. The push for shorter Nationals and/or more accessible practice time makes that difficult. However in general it’s a great idea.

I have been to several local tournaments where there are quite a few disabled skiers. You’re correct that the events are almost the same.

• Baller
Keith is correct, the added logistics will likely outweigh the benefits. I have never been to a tournament for disabled water skiers, maybe someone can provide some insight. Do disabled skiers use the mini course for slalom? Are the judges, drivers, and scorers ratings the same as AWSA? If not, the LOC would have to provide accommodations for these additional officials. Also, the point about length of sets isa valid one, not sure if there is a difference. Obviously the site would have to be handicap accessible in all aspects for a disabled nationals as well. It isn't like we have sites lining up to host AWSA Nationals, I would be weary of throwing more wrenches in the system. If it were to be done, Okeeheelee would be a great place to give it a try.

• Baller

@Broussard some ski the mini course others the full course. Depends on the physical challenge. Blind slalom skiers don’t use a traditional course at all.

The Charlotte area has a very active group who ski many of the local tournaments. They slot right into the running order by age or ability depending on how the tournament director decides.

One example of a logistical challenge is with paraplegic slalom skiers. In the event of a fall the boat needs to go back and pick them up and typically pull them back to the dock. With wheelchairs etc at the dock swimming to shore is not an option. Likewise climbing into a boat (rowboat or pick up boat) can be challenging. Point is it’s.not a big deal to do accommodate anyone as long as you have the time.

Again, it’s a great idea and with proper scheduling completely possible. @usaski1 has been skiing the able-bodied Regionals and Nationals for a few years in all three events!

• Baller
First off, the "regular" events is where my heart is now. When I was 20, (20 years ago) I said "man, I wanna ski the AB nats" and I didn't know how I was going to do it, but with some help from Kieth, and others, I figured out how to do it in 2014. I proposed merging the events at least 10 years ago, but it always seemed to fall on def ears. I still think its a good idea. I have tried to get my other friends in chairs to participate, and no one seems that interested. I don't know why? I really don't think it takes that much longer to run a disabled skier than a standing skier. Only difference is, you gotta pick them up if you fall. Could be done on one lake. On a multi-lake site, just put the mid balls in, and your set. I'm all but done with the disabled worlds and nationals... no need for me now that I can ski the US nats. ...And I think its great for the sport.

• Baller
I have hosted 6 Disabled National events at three different sites. @klindy and @usaski1 are correct that it could be done easily but it would add it's required time line to the event. It could be done on one lake of a multi lake site. However I have enjoyed seeing Mark skiing at the AB events! And I encourage all disabled skiers to participate in any regular water ski events. For twenty years now, I have always included the mini course buoys at my ski sites, including on public lakes. Though many skiers like Mark are now using the regular course.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

Disabled is held in conjunction with Australian Nationals and its awesome!!! We also run a States based team competition as part of Nationals and having the Disabled skiers there as well promotes a fantastic team environment in an individual sport.