08 196 steering play

TEL

• Baller
Steering play, the play when you’re sitting still and move the steering wheel back-and-forth with no rudder movement. With over 700 hours I have never replace my steering cable. since I live on a very short set up lake I'm getting a little nervous flying into shore, I think it's time. Have read posts about steering play and have performed all the adjustments. At lower speeds 28 mph it becomes a battle to drive straight down the course. So my question is: do I just replaced the cable? or replace the tilt steering mechanism along with the cable? I've driven new 200's and there's absolutely no play in the steering. Do they use the same cable and tilt unit as my 08? If they don't can I upgrade to the new steering unit?

• Baller
@TEL, How often do you drive at 28, maybe we don't fix what ain't broke. While only a small handful, I've yet to be in a ski boat that tracks well at 28 or below (always having to correct steering left/right). That being said, you could take the wheel off and check the rack/pinon for wear and tear. There's also a screw or 2 in there that gets loose and can cause some play. Search BOS for the thread for more info.

• Baller
Cable is not that pricey...I'd start there. Rudder packing is more problematic...under the tank so take it out to get there (on my 2000 SN anyway). I did cable and rudder packing when I got it and the steering is so smooth if feels like it's operating thru melted butter.

• Baller
@igkya, I did check the screws they were tight. Every time there has been a post about steering play I checked my boat. Have several new to the course people that have got the bug and ski between 27 to 30mph. I will replace the cable first, during the winter break. In Florida that means when the water temp is below 65.

• Baller

Steering cables usually give lots of warning before failure. They get stiff and hard to turn. I have never had one get to 700 hours without tightening up. Sometimes a strand of the cable breaks and the steering goes from nice to horrible in the span of a run. Steering cables are a consumable maintenance item. Replace it and your boat will drive better.

The rudder and packing does wear out. This will make the boat loose. Replace both the rudder and housing to fix it right. Or turn the housing 90 degrees to get a fresh bearing surface. That trick will work for a while. I was going to say that it's not a huge safety issue but I did have a rudder break off pulling a skier in the course. Actually I was skiing and I didn't get hurt, the boat crew didn't get hurt and the only damage to the boat was the broken rudder.

Helms fail as well. The fancier, the more failure spots. I've rebuilt one but now they make you replace the whole unit. Probably a good idea if it's squirrelly. Don't ignore it when the helm occasionally locks up on you - order a new one.

Just a little looseness at slow speed is not a sign of imminent failure. But definitely something to pay attention to. If you can't spin the wheel with one finger, replace the cable. Maybe that will fix everything.

Eric

• Baller
Now that I think about it...a buddy with a 206 (who is a mechanical engineer) opened up his helm and fixed something and problem was solved. He had on center issue of no steering and then suddenly would bite sounded dangerous. At the dealer they wanted to replace his helm at significant cost he opened it up and took care of it himself I can get more detail if you like PM me.

• Baller
It does make sense to repack your rudder while you're replacing the steering cable, since you already working by the rudder. Plus it's quick, easy and necessary eventually. Just be sure your boat is slightly back on the trailer, or your rudder will hit the prop guard when you try to remove it.

• Baller_

@TEL : sloppiness in the steering will be related to some looseness in a joint or gear mechanism in the system, cables don't tend to stretch or cause your issue. The helm / tilt systems are prone to become loose as is the rudder bushing components. With a buddy at one end, you should be able to trace down where the looseness is coming from.

Just an FYI, my vessel has over 1000 hours on the steering cable, it is still free but with full disclosure, I take several steps to keep it that way which include lubing it with ATF and always parking the steering wheel so the cable is not exposed to the bilge moisture (full left steering input) & I drain the bilge after every use.

• Baller
Everyone thanks for the info. @DW- When you turn the steering wheel you can turn it about 3" before the cable begins to move where the cable connects to the rudder arm. So I was thinking Cable and pinion but now it sounds like its the helm that is worn too. What I find odd when looking at prices the local dealer prices are the cheapest.

• Baller
Whoa! You’re in Orlando right? Better recheck that, think they’re quoting wrong item. Typically SkiDim is in line with lowest price available. 3” movement? Did you look at the clamp block? Granted a worn cable doesn’t usually create slop but it can and does sometimes.

• Baller

This is my friends response...and it sounds a lot like the issue you are having:

I replaced the "Helm"

There are really only 4 sub systems... Helm, Tilt, Rack, Steering cable.

The helm is the spindle/pinion side of the rack & pinion steering system.

Replacement took me 90 minutes and parts were $74.

I'm not sure if the original helm just had slop or simply installing the

new one with better alignment and less clearance fixed the issue. But

since I had her open, I changed the $74 part of course.

Finally, there are a set of washers (4) between the helm and the rack.

I'm not sure if they are purposefully put there or if there was a

manufacturing error requiring the gap.

It may simply be that removing these washers, thus taking clearance out of

the rack and pinion, would fix the issue.

G

• Members
I have seen washers between rack and helm (pinion) on several 196's that were brand new. Don't know why they put them there but made steering on new boats loose. Removing one at each bolt made steering much better on new boats. I would guess that extra clearance would wear the tips of the teeth sooner also.

• Baller
Remove the rack and look at the helm spindle as you turn the wheel. I had a similar issue with an '06 196, and thought the helm was toast, but the wheel and spindle were in perfect sync. For me, it was the rack having some bad gear teeth, as well as the rudder packing.

The retail price for that cable from Nautique is $206.50. We have it on the website for $184.00 with free shipping However, if a baller were to email me I always willing to help out the most possible. I can't speak on behalf of the quality or brand of the amazon cable. I do know most would rather pay a little more to a company(especially one that promotes the sport) who has an oem product with a person they can call, email, etc when questions or issues arise!

• Baller
Question: Why do you have to repack your rudder? Several people have recommended that on this thread. I haven't done that since Nautique started putting a grease fitting on the rudder box (sometime in the 1990's?). I do grease the rudder frequently though. I don't give the grease a chance to get old or dry, and I keep the bilge dry.

• Baller
I never said you had to DRIVE anywhere. There are plenty of good/legitimate online dealers of marine products. Without getting deep into the evils of amazon, and what they have done to the economy and fair marketplace....... I would certainly prefer to support a good quality dealer (even online) who specializes in quality marine parts.

• Baller
Nobody said they were buying from amazon to begin with, it was just a heads up from a reputable shop who at some point picked up the phone and helped us all out. Thanks to the internet we can all buy from reputable sources(PN, MNI, SkiDim, etc) at a competitive price and get it shipped to our door for most likely less than we would spend in fuel to pick it up. This case the op was and is leaning towards Miami Nautiques. I’m sure if he ordered it yesterday it’ll arrive today for <$15 shipped.

• Baller
@Kdinger838 Thanks for talking with me yesterday. I am going to take your advice and replace the cable first, but I will take a look at the rack for wear and helm. If you Ballers need some advice this is a good form to look to but it is nice to talk to someone that repairs these boats day in and day out. @Kdinger838 the service and parts manager for Miami Nautique could of sold me a new helm, pion and cable. He even offered to give me a pull when I came to the shop, I don't think Amazon offers that.

• Baller
Up date Replaced the steering cable and there was still some play, more than a cared for. Replaced the steering pinion and all the play is gone. What I found was the front bearing was worn on the pinion. No way to know this with out taking it out.

• Baller
Check the trim tab, a buddy’s 05 196 had sloppy steering, and he adjusted the trim tab and it made a huge difference. It’s just two little screws, go all tellers way in one direction and you will have a little counter pressure on the wheeel in the course.

• Baller

I have that job coming up this spring. Mine is at 859 hours so it's overdue. On a good note, the steering only started getting "notchy" last year.

Along with the others, I agree that a new cable should rectify your issues.