Another surgery thread

vtmecheng

• Baller

I get to up my surgery count to six just after Christmas this year

TL;DR

I had an inguinal hernia fixed back on 2004. One of the incisions was at my belly button and I got an incisional hernia a year later, which was again repaired. Fast forward to last year, and that same incisional hernia at my belly button was back. New surgeon put a poly mesh in. About 4 months ago it started hurting just a little, then I got a popping feeling when I took deep breaths after a workout. Think it first started after a morning on the course. Luckily they can be felt on the outside so everyone believes me. Surgeon doesn't know exactly what could be causing that but all his theories necessitate going back in. He wasn't going to at first but it's getting worse now. Doc is really working with me. Gave his personal cell so we could talk through the plan and ask questions. Likely going to replace the ploy mesh with an absorbable one. Good times.

• Baller
The mesh used before isn't recalled. The current surgeon was thinking back to when he put the mesh in and remembered that the polypropylene stitches that were in there from the last food attempt weren't as incorporated as he would have liked to see. He just thought it was due to me ripping through them, around 40% of hernias fixed with stitches fail if I'm remembering correctly. Now he is thinking that my body doesn't like polypropylene. Going with an organic mesh this time.

• Baller
Just had bilateral hernia repair with mesh done two weeks ago. Hope I have better luck than you. My surgeon says he's been using the same mesh for 10 years with no issues. He says that most of the problems with the mesh is the installer.

• Baller
I'm becoming a pro at dealing with post hernia surgery. My doc also uses a mesh that's been around for a long time and hasn't been recalled. I really do think my body simply doesn't like the polypropylene. Either that or I'm creating too much scar tissue. My first one created a lot of scaring too, this surgeon even removed some to help with a but of discomfort I've had for years. Everyone reacts different to trauma I guess.

• Baller

I'm 5 weeks post-op, full thickness rotator cuff tear. Physio is going good - plan to be back on the water in the Canadian spring - whenever that finally gets here. Skied all summer with the tear. Had one of my best summers ever (maybe not scores, but sure was fun!)

good luck everyone with their surgeries and healing!

• Baller
Well, day one post surgery. Ends up the problem was a tack that my body only hall way dissolved. I haven't spoken with the doc yet but he also replaced the mesh with an absorbable type. Either way, it's done now and I have the recovery to work through. I'll have to wait until my first appointment to find out when I can ski again. I'm hoping it won't be too far beyond memorial day.

• Baller_
@bananaron Unfortunately chronic pain post hernia surgery is one of the most common complaints. At one point mine hurt enough that I almost couldn't walk; I feel like I could ski already in comparison. Mesh has a much lower recurrence rate vs non mesh closure. Most surgeons say it's not the mesh but the surgeon that creates a failure, unless you are an unlucky individual that is reactive to the mesh.

• Baller
I had pain after my first inguinal hernia surgery. During my last umbilical incisional hernia surgery the surgeon took a look down there and removed some scar tissue. Pain was gone after that. My last surgeon also doesn't believe in going full throttle just 4 weeks after surgery. He said it's what the patient wants to hear but isn't what's best for the body. I'm not a doc so can't comment beyond what he said and knowing that I feel great having followed his direction.