Reflex SKIFOIL - Water Ski Innovations

Horton

• Baller

It will be interesting to see how far people can take the trick stance on a foil. Wondering about possibly a wakeboard stance. Might be better than sitting (like the air chair).

Also wondering about advancing the foil technology to make them self stabilizing. Foils are quite difficult and sensitive.

Cool product!

Eric

• Baller
I don't know the full story, but I'm pretty sure that's Luca Spinelli @ TE Wake n Ski in Bangkok (Luca is an Italian 3-event Reflex skier who spends his winters in Bangkok, where Reflex skis are manufactured). I follow TE Wake N Ski on Facebook, and about a month ago they had a few videos like this except the foil was on a wakesurf board (no bindings). Looks like they're having fun experimenting over there, trying to develop something new...

• Baller
Wake/surf stance seems like a better way to use a foil than to put a hard shell binding on it in a trick stance, it just looks awkward. Lots of wake foils popping up on the market, Slingshot has a few and they have been making them for kiteboarding for a few years now.

• Baller

I’ve been “foiling” (with a kite) for over a year now. A couple of things of interest here:

1. I think the Reflex binding here is to sell Reflex bindings. Strapless is actually the way to go - you are never “edging” with a foil so simply don’t need that level of control. Strapless (or a loose single front strap to help get up) is the best for safety as when you fall you leave the whole thing behind you. Also with kitefoiling we “tack”and change feet - whilst on the foil!

2. It looks “lame”because it’s not easy :) despite that, just being able to do it is a lot of fun and hard work. Good core work out.

3. The video shows flat water but where it’s really fun is when it’s too rough to ski, because you are above the water you cut through the waves like you are on glass - amazing sensation.

4. Interestingly when learning to kite foil I was always told “ don’t try it behind a boat as it’s way more dangerous” I think that is because the pull is more horizontal ( wake board tower to learn?) so if you get it wrong you can get wrapped up in the board rather than being pulled up and away from it.

5. Helmet a good idea

6. Buy a kite too - perfect for those just blown out days