New Waterskiing and Adventure Shelter.

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

Traded out with my neighbor for a good condition, albeit older, Northstar pop-up truck camper. When we ski at the north lakes, we tent camp. I am tired of sleeping on the ground, and want a bed. Hopefully to help waking up not as stiff. A trailer won't work, as that is where the boat goes. But this will. Pretty stoked! Now, for some truck shopping. It will be used, 250/2500 level at least, crew cab, deciding between long bed or standard (the 8' camper will go in either), and would like diesel, but wouldn't pass up a strong gasser. I get to swap out our suburban with my buddy's truck until I get my own truck, so that is a bonus.

Meanwhile, excited about the new shelter. I was envious of all the campers at @bigskieridaho's lake when I entered the tourney there, and I bet I could use it down at Black Butte occasionally too. In addition to the freeskiing. It will also work for mountain biking, hiking, and at least spring snow skiing trips as well.

Here is a link to pics: 1994 Northstar TC800

There is my neighbor in this one, the guy with all the good tools and beer fridge.

rkv549af2dx0.jpg

• Baller

@LanceHCook , I was just going to keep it simple and use the propane that is already over there on that side (passenger side) of the camper. I know @Horton started off this section of the forum with a post on pellet, but I want to not have to carry the fuel, and also, when skiing and mountain biking, I don't want to wait for briquets to warm up, or pellets to do whatever they do to get ready. Flame on!

Splitter for propane tank

Grill kinda like this

I am envisioning creating an atmosphere something like this, off that starboard side of the camper. This was on a supported (by our own campers) gravel road and trail hot springs bike trip we took a couple years ago.

xp884b8wrp1n.jpg

axkejw87humb.jpg

I also plan on finding one more trailer jack and moving that tripod one into a quad position with the addition of another at the rear.

@thager no fear. There will be duck tape in the drawer. And maybe gorilla tape. Right now, there is just some blue tape and some black electrical tape.

• Baller

@sunvalleylaw Enjoy!

We've used the 2 truck method for years, travel trailer with one truck and boat with the other. Definite benefits to travelling all together, but we love our trailer.

Depending where you plan on going watch the camper and boat hitch weight doesn't surpass the RAWR (rear axle weight rating) of the truck. The malibu & northstar doesn't look that heavy but some 250/2500's are actually pretty light.

With regards to the pull vehicle. IMHO, a 1999 - 2003 Ford F250 or F350 with a 7.3L diesel engine is the best choice. We bought a F250 back in 2001 and still have it. We needed a 2nd big truck, so last year we found a F350 dually with ~50K on the clock.

These trucks last forever, no emissions junk, ~500 Ft-Lbs of Torque, get decent MPG, parts are readily available. They can be found with a manual or automatic gear box. All sorts of upgrades are available etc.

goq2m3xs8745.jpg

Just my $0.015 worth