My top ten most unusual ski (designs, constructions or appearance) ever list

Horton

• Administrators

Warp

Fischer

MasterCraft Radius

Goode FlexTail

O'Brien G5 (the one from the 1990s with the adjustable rocker)

O'Brien Quattro

O'Brien Elite

AM 33

Denali C-65

KD Platinum (the original with the wood core from 1990s

Goode WideRide

• Baller_

S2.. 1st time the bottom contour of a ski was messed with...steps.

HO Power Stix

Top pick has to be the G5. Could adjust the rocker of the front with slider plate and tail of ski with a torsion bar embedded into ski and then into fin block with a set screw. Removable tail plates for further adjustment of rocker torsionally??. Micro fin under feet to stop down course slide. Hour glass shape for front of ski...can you say Out The Front!!! Literally could adjust 5 different elements on that ski before you ever touched the fin or wing.

• Baller
My regular ski partner had one of the G5's back in the day. He actually skied quiet well on it and gained almost a whole pass over two years. Never adjusted the fin but did play with the rocker/flex now and then..... It weighed a ton!! Andy skied on a 'faux G5' for a couple years I believe. I was on an O'Brien Synergy SC (for Smooth Carve) 50% less weight than the G5. I believe they also offered a TC and ZC for different skiing styles, probably not worthy of the influential list but there were a lot of those O'Brien's on our lake in the 90's.

• Baller
I skied an O'Brien Elite for 4.5 years, top to bottom it was really thin in the front with taller sides but an indented middle. One of the lightest skis I've held. It seemed to have a relatively small "sweet spot" though. In honesty I think I owe a lot of my body position and technique to that ski because it forced you to stand on the ski correctly because you'd be sitting in the lake if you weren't. The skis I've had since have certainly been more forgiving in that regard but I think I ski better on them because of my time on the Elite.

• Baller

I had a brand new Carbon V when it first came out. My only memory was being at ski school and struggling on it. At the end of the lake one set after scrambling like mad and skiing narrow enough to cut lose 2 buoys, I asked "any suggestions?" ... Without missing a beat Jack Travers replied "Try golf!"

By the end of the week I was on a new ski and skiing a LOT better! I still laugh about that!!

For those who don’t remember —-

aofc8as2xoku.jpeg

• Baller
@thager, you didn't mention the Torque fiberglass heel cup! Back in the day, the Taperflex Apex was radical. It was huge hit for a while, but its "stops on a dime" deceleration bit a lot of us who were on it- after enough out-the-fronts, I felt lucky to escape its clutches with only a couple of cracked ribs. If I'm not mistaken the yellow Maherajah shown by BLP in the "most influential" link had hollow ribbed construction- if not that ski, another that they made around that time had it- that was just weird, at least until the Warp arrived. The Maha also leaked...

• Administrators
What was that Fred Williams ski that had three tunnels and two tiny fins? We used to have contest at the ski school to see who could run passes on it. It always ended in some bizarre awful crash.

• Baller
@Nando Forgot all about the heal cup! @Orlando76 I've never been able to find a picture of the Torque Super Comp. I search EvilPay, CL and local garage sales often. I will stumble on a reasonable$ one in good condition someday I hope!

• Baller

I am currently on a 2009 66" 9900 Wide Ride that Chet suggested for me back in 2009.

I have about 600 sets on it.

Being as I am 5' 7" tall and 210 pounds it is a great ski for me.

I can run 32 off at 32 MPH on a good day on this ski.

I run 28 off consistently on this ski.

The thing it does for me is it appears to turn no matter what kind of shape I am in coming into the buoy and is very stable. I really like this ski and dread the day it breaks down. I hope GOODE is still making some type of Wide Ride when I have to get a new ski.

I skied with Chet back in October (gave me the usual your to fat talk) and he said if I stayed the same size the GOODE WR is what he would recommend for me if they still make them. Just glad various ski company's are making skies for us guys that still want to ski but we are a bit on the heavy (fat) side. I like to refer to myself as Southern mom's describe there overweight boys. Oh he is not fat he is just HUSKEY boy.

oldmanskier

• Administrators
@Than_Bogan no that image is real. The guys at Warp hired models to walk around with the skis at Nationals one year. USAWS was pretty mad because Warp did not pay to be a vender at the event but got a lot of PR. Pretty funny really.

• Baller
My first slalom was a different design. It was standard thickness (top to bottom) wood under the feet and then tapered down to about half the thickness in the tip and tail sections. It was pretty too. Can't remember the name. Bought it new at 14yrs old at Western Auto in 1974. Traded it about a year later for a wood Obrien Competitor.