Barefooter almost gets hung by handle

skispray

• Baller

Check out the video below of a barefooter having a close call with a handle injury.

Reddit Link

This videos scares the bejesus out of me! I have handle guards on my handle, so my fear is less about my personal situation and more about others. Can you imagine an incident like this getting caught on video? I'm a little surprised that handle manufacturers don't put handle guards on their handles straight from the factory, or at least have it as an option. It seems like a lot of liability on their part to not do something to minimize the risks. I'm not trying to impose any of my own judgment on other people's products, and like I said I use handle guards because that's a personal preference, just wondering aloud about why handle guards aren't an option straight from a handle manufacturer. Also, is this something that tournament hosts/governing bodies need to worry about? Or does the risk fall to the individual? It just seems like such an easy safety device to use and if you put one on right it has no effect at all on your skiing (well, that's my personal experience anyway, even for trick ski spins).

• Baller
Years ago a mate of mine put his head through trying to setup a toe hold off the boom. 3 days in intensive care and his nose has never been the same and they had to stitch his ear back on... I won't let my son ski without some sort of handle guard, cheap insurance and no downside. I do the same and have been using one for a couple of seasons now.

• Baller

I've done the neck hold, and the teeth hold...I've spent a lot of time on a boom and on a short line from a boom and long-line, too. Could almost see the problem coming before it did. Can't be out there with a rope dangling and hitting the water.

That was a close one for that guy in the video.

• Baller
I had a close encounter with a handle and the thought never entered my mind that the handle manufacturer was in any way responsible. These can be dangerous sports. Take the precautions you feel are necessary, and responsibility for your decisions. I use a handle guard now which only reduces the risk.

• Baller
I have done a lot of footin on the boom with the 5ft rope and also longline behind the boat.Its always dangerous and things can happen really quick at 36mph.I am not a fan of the handle around the neck trick due to what can happen so quick.Great sport however I error on the side of caution.............

• Baller_
Pretty much due to the discussion on this forum on handle concerns which makes the cranium wheels spin when doing any water sports, I have gotten in to the habit of tossing the handle away from me on the dismount to avoid the handle bounce risk. Pretty big opening on the barefoot handle with the toe hold or for backwards footing.