Cold feet question for the snow skiers here

Chef23

• Baller

I have been skiing for 45 years and worked in the industry for about 15 years in my younger days and never had cold feet issues. Unfortunately since my illness last year I have circulation issues in my toes. I skied a half a day on Saturday (it was unbelievable to get on the snow given I was in the ICU on that date last year) and while it wasn't that cold about 18* my toes were frozen and I am not sure I could have skied the afternoon.

In doing some research I see three options:

1. A traditional boot heater like a hottronics.

2. Heated socks like the Lenz which a local shop recommended over boot heaters.

3. New boots like the K2 Spyne 120 heat. There are limited higher end boots with heaters built in to them.

My boots are getting a little long in the tooth but I am not sure how much I am going to get to ski this year so I am not sure if I am ready to jump on the new boot band wagon. Heated socks and boot heaters are both $250+. I do have custom footbeds in my boots and not enough room to stuff those disposable heaters in my boots.

I am planning to ski 3 days the week after Christmas and would like to be able to ski full days in NH where it is likely to be colder than it was on Saturday.

It looks like I might need mittens instead of gloves but that is an easier solved issue.

• Baller

I run hotronics in my race boots which have virtually no insulation. Only real pain with them is that the cords tend to get mashed by lifts if you have low chairs and once you break the plug you have to replace the heating element in that foot bed.

In terms of Mittens my wife and I have swany x-cell 2 mittens for those below zero days. They are expensive but incredibly warm.

• Baller

Thanks @oldjeep. Do the Swany mittens have finger separators in them? I don't think I want them if I am looking for warmth.

I love Swany gloves I have a pair my son is using now that are 20 years old and i have a newer pair. I definitely think they are worth the money.

• Baller

There are those little heat packs that come with grains of ? packed in bags. Apparently,

they react with air. Use the larger ones for inside gloves and the smaller ones in your boots. For those, stick them on TOP of your socks, not underneath, or they are

uncomfortable. They work for a few hours.

• Baller
A proper fitting pair of boots has no place you could put heat packs. Nor is there really any way you could get them to sit on top your socks unless you have some really old school rear entry boots. It practically takes the jaws of life to get in and out of my boots ;)

• Baller
Hotronics seem to be the way to go. Might have to lose the insoles though. If it's just toes, a neo cover, maybe with a handwarmer pack Btwn cover and boot). I tape handwarmer packs on the outside, over my toes (completely seal with duct tape) on below zero days ( I stand at race starts or on the hill all day, no lunch)

• Baller

@Drago - the hotronic heaters come in 2 flavors. They type that are attached to insoles already and the type that you attach to your existing insoles. I run the style that you use with your existing custom foorbeds.

Good vid of the process. If you run the hard plastic custom footbeds like mine it is a little more challenging to make the slits for the heater cords. A dremel to cut the slots works easier.

@Chef23, on the mitten issue.... my Swany mittens have zippered compartments on the back of the hand for the disposable glove warmers. They are great for really cold days! Especially Breckenfridge in January.

Let me know what you decide for your boots, my husband needs to do something for his cold feet.

• Baller
@Chef23 This is my .02.... Been a skier since I was 2 and I always have found that your boots are a good place to start. If they are too tight then your feet get cold. You have to watch narrow compared to wide boots as well. For example, I can’t wear Salomon boots because they are too narrow and my feet get crammed. If your boots aren’t right, then you will not make headway with anything, especially trying to keep your feet warm with no circulation. I have skied in below zero temps with the correct boots and nice fitting smart wool socks and feet are good to go. Find thinner socks that are a quality brand and you will be good with good boots (I know makes no sense but it works) Be more than happy to suggest some boots as well. As for the gloves, agreed Swany are the bomb! Hope this helps.

• Baller

@Chef23 - great to hear you are back on the snow! @bigskieridaho is spot on. I have the hotronics, lenz socks, and the boot gloves btw and all work pretty well but none will overcome a bad fitting boot. There is a guy up in Plymouth, NH - Paul Richelson who does an excellent job with boot fitting. After trying in vain for 8 years to keep my wide foot warm in a narrow pair of Salomons, I went to them for a foot evaluation and got a list of boots to try based on my foot shape.

Now I am in a pair of technicas (Mach 1 130’s I think- bright orange) that are by far the most comfortable boots I have ever had. Still need some tweaking but I’m in a great spot now with a great high performance fit that I race in for beer league yet still comfortable enough that days as a “race Dad” are fun.

Plenty of local shops can get you set up, but i’ve had really good luck with Paul. He’ll give you options to work on what you have or point you in the right direction for new boots.

As for the heater choices, boot gloves are the best bang for the buck by far. The Lenz socks are more effective than Hotronics but a pain to wash and maintain. 95% of days I just use the hotronics.

• Baller_
Get Hothands Toe Warmer packets. They stick to your socks under your toes, they will fit in your existing boots (or in your race boots @oldjeep ) and will generate plenty of heat for about five hours. Then swap them out for a new set. While they function like the packets used in your gloves, they are trim and fit comfortably under your toes. You’ll hardly know they are there, other than your toes being warm.

Lpskier

• Baller

What the others said about the right fitting boot is correct. I had a boot that was too narrow and usually had cold feet even with a boot heater (hot tronics). Finally went to a good boot fitter and got a proper fitting boot. I rarely needed to use the boot heaters after that and then only on really cold days.

FYI - Therm-ic also makes a nice boot heater

• Baller

@bigskieridaho and @Bdecker new boots would likely help however I have skied 5 plus seasons in these boots without a problem and have issues now since I was in bed for 6 months resulting in circulation issues in my feet. I am not sure how much I am going to get to ski this year so I am not ready to rush in to new boots. I don't have any hot spots on my current boots. I am sure they could fit a little better (boots always can) and that would help but that isn't the biggest problem. My feet are cold all the time now.

I may try what @lpskier suggested for next week and not rush in to a solution.

• Baller

@Chef23 disclaimer ( I am not an expert boot fitter) however I have skied 100 days/year for the past 6 seasons. Up until I got new boots fitted by SureFoot I had issues with boots fitting properly. If you can get to a SureFoot shop I am sure that they can help. "They guarantee your satisfaction. I also believe that circulation is likely a major factor. I've structured my workout routine to include an hour per day of cardio. No cold feet here.

Best of luck in finding an acceptable solution.

• Baller
@chef23 understand where you are coming from, however after 5+ years in the same boot the footbeds tend to breakdown and cause issues. I would look into at least footbeds if your boots seem to fit ok, but in your situation new ones would be better to help with your issue. ⛷ on brother!

• Baller

Not sure that a pair of $200 new liners that are going to require you to re-fit your shells are going to be an economic solution with a set of old boots.

FWIW - some boots are just cold regardless of boot fitting. Few of the guys in my league run the Atomic WC 130 boots I have and the consensus is that they are just a cold boot with a really thin liner. Plus we are dealing with MN cold, where it isn't uncommon to have -10F to -20F race nights

• Baller

Intuition liners are warm and you get better circulation through better fit.

Hot-Tronic or Thermic are awesome except the already mentioned chairlift damage.

Boot gloves are the cheapest and are surprisingly effective. Also look kinda dumb.

Forget the little chemical heaters. Good for hands, not for boots.

Get the hot-tronics. They are worth it. $250 is cheap for saving your experiences on the hill.

• Baller

I have skied my life. Raced ect. Boot heaters cords wear out. The new heated socks are awesome. Only use them when you need them plus you can use them snow. Mobiling. Hunting. Ect

Why pay 250 for a single use product. The new heated socks are great .

My 2 cents

• Baller
@Deanoski - is the sock part cheaply replaceable? I wear out a couple pairs of ski socks a season and need multiple pairs so that you always have dry ones. Have a brand that you are talking about? For me, never had a use for heaters in anything but ski boots - my snow boots are too damn warm most of the time.

• Baller

@"Keith Menard" I am a snow boarder as well I have been snow boarding since 1985 not including riders Snurfers as a kid in the 70s. In the east I much prefer skiing to boarding. Frankly I don't find a the snowboarding stuff that much more comfortable or warmer than a good fitting pair of ski boots.

I said it earlier but I don't think this is a fit issue I have skied in these boots for years without issues down to sub zero temps but since I was ill last year I have circulation issues that are causing my feet to be cold now.

I am skiing next week when it supposed to be cold. I think I am going to try @lpskiers suggestion I know he is a good skier who skis in Lake Placid where it is very cold. I don't want to rush in to a decision then regret it. My boots are reaching end of cycle but I am not going to buy new boots right now as I am not sure how much time I will have to ski this year.

• Baller

I like the Sidas heaters. sidas heaters

You do not feel them underfoot, and they do not take up any significant room in the boots. Batteries are less bulky than the Hotronics. They more than all day for me, though I did have to send the first set of batteries back. They were good about it, and this set lasts longer than all day. I set them on low, as hotter gets uncomfortable for me. I use them in the Head Raptor boot, with an intuition liner, just for your reference. The boots are fitted very snugly, and the heaters fit fine in there.

I am a lifelong skier and a ski pro.

As for new liners, new foot beds, etc. in older shells, I am a believer in keeping a shell, once you get it really properly fitted for you with any needed punching and grinding done, and replacing the liner if needed at least once. Unless the shells are damaged in some way. I am getting ready to replace my intuitions and footbeds on my current set, but waiting until after Christmas so the boot shop I use is less busy, and so I am not breaking in new liners when I am teaching over Christmas.

Check out the Sidas heaters and footbeds as an option. A little more, but I think worth it. I am not sponsored nor receive anything from that company, and the boot shop I represent both Sidas, Hotronics, and the sock products. I do not like the socks as I like very thin socks in my boots, and the heater socks are not thin enough for my taste.

• Baller

@oldjeep No one hates me more than myself :) I broke my leg skiing when I was 15 or so...went back to it a few times, but finally just swore it off, I didn't enjoy it any more, I didn't like the equipment, it just wasn't fun. Then my brother told me I had to try snowboarding...at first I said NO WAY...SNOWBOARDERS ARE TERRIBLE PEOPLE! I tried it once and when I felt the glide...holding that edge...it was the closest to feeling like I was on a slalom ski.

So...now I am a terrible person :)

• Baller

I use the One time heaters. They add resonable amount of heat. They are about 1/10" thick and I manage to get them into my Atomic WC Race boots (just underneath the liner). I just do not button the 2 lower laces to tight.

They are about 3 usd in Sweden.

Also use the Neo boot gloves to keep the feets dryer.