Eliminating rollers

mbabiash

• Baller

I have an area on my shoreline that I get back wash on just around 1 and 2 ball on one side of the course. The culprit is a steep shoreline with rocks in it that I can’t really move. It’s not bad when the water is down but when the water comes up it can be bad.

I was thinking of driving t posts and putting that green vinyl snow type fence just above the surface. Has anyone had success doing this or am I wasting my time. It needs to be inconspicuous so the neighbors don’t complain.

Thanks

• Baller

Our club has access to a usually off-limits site one day per year to hold a tournament. There is a natural rock outcropping that sends pretty good rollers down the course. We have rigged up a temporary, floating snow fence system that we install the day before and take out after the tournament and it works pretty well.

So while your set up will be a bit different, I can say that the vinyl snow fence does work and I'd expect it to work even better if it were a permanent, properly strung and stretched application. Good luck.

• Baller
@gregy @Creeker I constructed and installed the system at George's lake. It works only if securely held in place at the proper water level, same for the corrugated pipe. The overall key is to absorb the wave energy and dissipate it so there is no roll back.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@mbabiash This is not the greatest photo, but it shows the rip-rap on the steepest bank on the lake. Even on this really steep part, the rip-rap does a great job of eliminating rollers. I think the key for you is if you have too steep of an angle on your rock ledge to keep it in place.p39cg3osyamy.jpg

• Baller

@igkya I did not use snow fencing, I used 55 gal plastic drums. Snow fencing has little effect. The drums or plastic pipe helps some but hard to keep in place. The goal is to dissipate energy as the wave rolls over the drum or pipe, so the system cannot move back or float up with the wave. The drums or pipe must float low enough to allow the wave to roll over, but not too low. A system that has a big mass that is hard to move and allows the water energy to dissipate is what you are looking for. Old tires in a large array or strung on a long pole have been used with some success.

@mbabiash if the bank/bottom is steep, the rock will not stay in place. The rock/rip rap should be stacked in front of the retaining wall. If you can, use an excavator to cut a ledge below normal water line on which to stack the rip rap. Otherwise rip rap will not work for you either.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

We dont have any backwash at all but sidewind from north so i would like to test double layers, its easy to test just need 1-2 meter to see how the waves behave when they go thru the first layer and then face the second prob cant expect mirror but better. Plan

attach layers on the short sides so its more room for the wave energy to dispatch i belive it works so but not sure...

• Baller

The thing you have to remember is that the wave has a defined amount of energy and you have to modify the energy pretty significantly. That's where the mass that @mmosley899 is talking about comes into play.

An empty 55 gallon drum floating for instance will do very little to the wave. A series of 55 gallon drums on a pole that is anchored down into the ground such that the top of the drum is just below the surface on the water however will disrupt the entirety of the impacted zone from the wave energy.

Being that there is a concrete wall and fluctuating water level you could do something like a floating pier along the wall with 55 gallon drums as floats; partially fill the drums till the weight of the pier and the water just submerges the top of the drum. Then you have the mass to soak up the wave energy and you'd have a nice attractive viewing dock along that section of water. The dock could then pivot on anchors drilled into the wall which would keep it in place where you need it.