Pole Vault

Than_Bogan

I vaulted for a year or so back in middle school after deciding to take it up because my grandfather was a pole vault star at ACC (now ACU), and my best friend at the time was one of the best vaulters in the state. After breaking my foot in a freak accident, I unfortunately never resumed practice. It is fun to see the sport again on this thread!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporting Member

@igkya Realize that's sarcasm, but the "why" of this drill is mildly interesting so:

Many people, certainly including me, have such a natural tendency to start trying to clear the bar when still standing on the ground, that you have to do this "stayback" drill in order to start to learn how the first phase after leaving the ground is actually supposed to work.

I have a suspicion that doing tons of focused drills would be a fantastic way to advance in slalom as well, but it's just too fun to go around those buoys all the time!!

@Than_Bogan good drill. Keep thinking of driving the right knee forward, don't think of up. That and the straight left arm will increase the energy into the pole.

Another drill that is really good is a two step plant with a coach pushing you forward at the shoulder blades. Keep both arms straight and keep left leg back while you elevate a couple feet off the ground. Ideally someone strong that can hold you up for a few seconds, then come back down.

Just like skiing you want to create energy/angle rather than trying to get to the bar/ball immediately.

• Supporting Member

Seems like quite a few. I certainly wasn't expecting any interest in this thread when I started it, but there has been. Some of it is Train Wreck Effect, as it's fun to watch a fellow old guy flailing about, but also it seems there is a fair bit of interest in the event itself.

17' is a different world. When I see someone clear 13', I understand what they are doing that I am not (yet!). But when I see someone clear 17', it just looks like cartoon physics.