Ceramic boat coatings??

OscawanaSkier

• Baller

Anyone else try these ceramic coatings?

I wonder if it's worthwhile investment. I usually polish my boat annually to take all waterspots out and wax in spring and mid summer. I use babes after every use and it generally keeps the boat looking pretty clean.

Would a ceramic coating avoid the wipe down routine?

• Baller

I coat all my cars and would not go any other way. Ceramic coating (properly applied and of good quality) blows wax out of the water on paint.

I have not done my boat even though I am tempted. My main concerns is I hate even small scuff marks and will I pull out the mechanical buffer and liberally spot buff when needed. As soon as you hit the coating with a mechanical buffer and a polish it is gone and you need to recoat. So I just stick with wax on the boat. If I were not inclined to use the buffer more than once a year I'd probably coat, as there are new products specifically designed for gel that reportedly work very well. If you do go that route, make sure to use a marine product with UV protection and I would plan on applying at least once a year no matter what they promise on duration.

• Baller
I used Klasse, did not last much longer than wax on the hull. If you want your boat to shine be slick and give some protection on the out side. I found Meguiars ultimate waterless wash and wax spray it on before you wipe your boat down. WARNING very slick do not put any were you step on the boat.

• Baller
We have done our boat in CQuartz UK. Boat looks incredible, is very easy to keep clean and requires little maintenance. That being said, it really only lasts a season for us. This year I just decided to hit it with their "booster" product called Reload. It is simply a spray on wipe off product that is supposed to help refresh the coating. It looks freshly coated and if I can just wipe this stuff on every couple weeks, that is the way I will go this summer.

• Baller
There are coatings that are little more than wax. And there are coatings that will last years. A buddy has a business doing them. The stuff consumers can buy is towards the low end of that spectrum. But there is stuff at the high end that isn't much better than the consumer stuff. So you have to know which ones for a given application.

As the OP, I wish I could report that I made the right call getting the ceramic coating in 2018. Total waste as far as I could tell. It was done by the dealer (IGL Coatings was the brand).

Based on my research back then, I think it was one of the best (although quite new) commercially applied coatings. I just think the product hadn’t reached the level of protection for boating, that it had for cars. I don’t know what improvements have been made since then.

• Baller

I use CQuarts UK on my cars and it is fantastic on paint. I do not think it is designed for gelcoat, however. I would be interested in trying Marine 31 Vessel Coat Pro with UV protection if I were going to do my boat. Good reviews on it so far.

https://www.marine31.com/m31-vessel-starter.html

As far as water spots, those are a weakness for ceramic coatings, but I also use CarPro Gliss as a top coat over ceramic on paint and it works great reducing water spots.

I also agree with the previous poster that Collinite is the go-to wax; I use Collinite 925 on my boats. Easy to apply and shines like a diamond.

• Baller
I've been very happy with turtle wax spray and shine (does excellent for the price on all those youtube comparison videos) on my vehicles including my original paint 79 truck. What has been an added bonus is how well it works on the windows and windshield. They dry clean and this winter made scraping the windows super easy. So for $14 per bottle, it would be worth a shot on a boat. If it doesn't work, it's good for the car.

• Baller
Turtle wax spray works as well on a boat as any other high end product in my experience, our pond water is pretty high mineral content, wind will splash water all over one side and the hard water spots are ongoing. I gave up on collinite and others.

• Baller
I used glidecoat marine specific ceramic last year & I was amazed. It made wiping down & keeping clean all season very easy. No spots. During scummy water times like algae blooms & lake turnovers nothing stuck to the hull. At the end of the season it was as shiny as it was in the spring.

• Baller

A buddy of mine has a 33' Sea Ray and he does an annual buff with NuFinish and Flitz Metal polish mixed 4:1 or so. I tried on my SN and it did bring out a real nice shine. I just don't like spending that much time on it. Use NuFinish once a year and hit it with Spray Wax every other time as we Sham Wow it.

I tried Ceramic on my cars, and it looks great, but just doesn't seem to last. I used the Chemical Guys Ceramic, which was about 3X the cost of NuFinish. Would be great if it lasted longer.

• Baller
Anybody using Graphene? I used Turtle Wax Graphene on my truck, after a lot of research on the internet, it is working great!! I am going to try it on my boat, after a coat of Meguire's Marine Wax.

• Baller
Love this stuff, super quick and easy, uv protection and great gloss. We’ll spray it on once per month or so. ???? 303 Marine Speed Detailer - Instantly Shines And Protects - UV Protection - Protects Against Fading - Removes Dust, Dirt, And Smudges, 32 fl. oz. (30205) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H2TI16/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_SF8NYXMNRT7F2X4PKGKV

• Members
I detail boats and I would recommend someone professionally polishing the gel coat and waxing it. when you go to wipe down the boat, use a white vinegar/water mixture, then next time spray wax it. I use meguiars ceramic coat spray wax. By alternating what you wipe the boat down with you're 1. cleaning it and 2. protecting it keeping it looking nicer for longer