flying Allegiant Air with ski

Bill22

• Baller

Any Ballers flown Allegiant with a ski?

I am wondering with small planes is there an issue with a ski fitting on the plane? What is the possibility of getting three skiers with 3 slalom skis on the same flight?

I am checking on options for a weekend trip to Orlando this spring. I may leave my ski at home and rent a demo ski from Performance.

• Supporting Member

If you have something to ship them in (hard/soft case) you may consider ShipSticks.com

I've had great luck with them and it totally takes the hassle out of hauling to and from the airport/worrying about the baggage handlers etc. Sent via 3 day to get the lowest rate and was at the Hotel when I got there.

• Baller_
Small planes? Check there sports equipment baggage explanation on their website. It's probably a cost as all the extras are on Alleigent. May be cheaper to ship. Never carried a ski but have flown with them many times and sports gear should not be much more then a checked bag I would think.

• Baller_
Nothing but big jets in and out of Orlando/Sanford Airport. And it's a big hub for them. I don't think they have small planes. If u live along the NE you can probably find one near-ish to you. Flights to FL are dirt cheap but u get what u pay for.

• Baller_

I fly Allegiant all the time. It is a normal size jet that will easily carry your ski. I have travelled with a ski on Allegiant but as a general rule and because I can travel whenever i wish rather than on a schedule, I only fly when tickets are cheap. I just flew from Orlando to northern NY for $49. Return ticket is even less. I travel with a back pack so I have no luggage fee. If I check luggage it more than doubles the flight cost. Your ski bag could be $75 each way.

Come ski LaPoint Ski Park when you are in town!

Lpskier

• Baller

Yes, awesome airline if the dates work for you to fly on. I'm actually flying them to Nationals this year. $172 r/t after the $40 to put my ski on the plane. If you don't care about where you sit on the plane and don't need a bag of peanuts and drink during the flight, they are the way to go. They let you bring on a backpack for free, so I usually throw my clothes in there.

As far as taking care of your ski, I've never had any issues. Just put your gear in a sportube and protect the important stuff.

• Baller_

@Bill22 You are welcome to ship it to me. You can also ship to the Fed Ex retail facility that is just down the street from LaPoint Ski Park (as distinct from the FedEx distribution facility that adjoins our lake).

@lakeaustinskier Agreed. If you want customer service, fly Southwest. For $49 one way, with no checked baggage or chargeable carry-on, though, I can suck up the lack of service. In fact, I can suck it up for any price under $100 one way.

Lpskier

• Baller
I’m surprised no one has mentioned Allegiant’s poor maintenance record. There was an article circulating about a year ago that said Allegiant’s rate of mechanical issues were something like (12 times?) the industry average, and many were serious issues. It discussed how old their planes are, (Allegiant bought planes that other airlines had retired.) It also stated they didn’t have their own maintenance crews at most airports. That made me rethink what is a “deal” worth? It not my ski that I’m worry with them handling.

• Baller
I have a friend who always flies from Lexington KY to Florida through Allegiant. Always with a 3 event bag and they have never had an issue at all. Both the parents are doctors so they could fly any airline they needed, but they have never had any issues at all so they keep going Allegiant.

• Baller

guys let's not get off topic on safety and all that stuff, I know you skeptics work at Southwest...lol

The idea is to plan a cheap weekend to O-town, demo a Syndicate Omni and a Lithium Senate. If I leave my ski at home I will get more sets on demo skis and increase the odds of talking myself into a new ski. Guess it's just too much trouble to take my ski ;)