New CG Fin from Denali

Horton

Went skiing today with my ski partner @vonman (Ernie). After seeing him ride my 68" Quest with the CG fin, I stood in the boat pondering if I should take it for a ride or not. Being that i was happy with the standard fin so I thought. I did give in to Ernie and said yes I will give it a go. It was set up as he stated above. My reaction immediately after my first ride 28 off with a pumping fist in the air then pointed at Ernie and said simply WOW!! 32 and 35 off was just as AMAZING. Hit the turn, easy to keep speed, back to the handle with nice angle and away you go like you are hooked to the water, getting wide and maintaining a tight line has just become way way easier for me. What a huge confidence boost and just flat out fun, say hi to my new found friend the CG fin!!!

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Make sure you put the center screw in. A skier in a tournament at Palm Bay this weekend lost the entire fin on the edge change into 3 ball. Never saw a slalom ski side slide like that before :o She had a rather abrupt dismount after about 20 feet of side slide (she's okay).

• Baller
I put the fin on yesterday at the stock long-shallow settings, less 0.050” in DFT in my Vapor. I took two sets and skied to my tournament PB. I loved the space that was created before the buoy, and further, the much more dramatic feeling of upswing. I always felt more of an “outswing,” but this was more of an upswing feeling because I was so wide and early. You can have my Denali fin when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

• Baller
@Booze the pattern at the top of the Denali version is a little different than the standard shape to suit our fin block. It’s not difficult to modify a Denali fin to fit in a normal fin block. You normally just need to notch the top back corner and maybe take a little off the front of the fin where it hits the fin block.

• Baller

I found my new fin waiting for me when I got home on Monday (thanks @AdamCord and @adamhcaldwell !) and gathered up the courage to install the beast this evening. I am an absolute amateur with fins. I seem to torture myself once a year and apparently this is one of those times.

I have the fin installed, but my rear adjusting screw doesn’t come anywhere near the fin. Is this normal for this fin, or do I need a longer screw? I have a Mapple 6.0 if that means anything. All the numbers are “pretty close” to where I had my stock fin, but I am unable to find a tutorial on how to shorten my fin length or how to decrease my dft.

It would be pretty awesome if the Denali guys could make a video with step by step instructions on how to replace and adjust the fin. The current youtube selection is not idiot proof enough for the likes of me!

I have all the set screws tightened down, so I’m assuming it’s safe to ski on - don’t worry! I’ll take video to document any excitement caused by user error.

• Baller
After countless attempts to get a repeatable measurement for my dft, I am more comitted than ever to purchase a Denali when they come out with a 65” ski. All the other measurements are pretty straight forward, but that dang beveled tail is a bugger for the caliper challenged.

• Supporting Member

@jipster43 Firstly, as I've noted previously, the CG fin is not very sensitive to even hundredths (much less thousandths), so if the numbers are "about right" you should be fine.

The rear screw does not hold anything in place, and in fact I purposely remove mine from the block and stick it in my caliper case. If I leave it in the ski, it may eventually back out and be lost. But it's quite helpful when making changes, so I keep it handy with my caliper.

I'm using a variety of prototype components, and sometimes testing "wacky" setups, so I also went and bought a longer screw for the back. Since I don't leave it in there, I just got a super-long one that is assured to reach even if I am testing DFTs of 1.3" (and that is not an exaggeration). As a minor bonus, removing it also prevents galvanic corrosion (but the other steel screws in an aluminum block still experience that).

Such a set screw is a fairly standard component. I'm nearly sure I got mine at Home Depot.

Also, you can get them at my favorite online store ever, BoltDepot:

Set Screws

Perhaps someone can remind us of the thread size, but if not I'll eventually look it up and edit this post.

• Supporting Member

Aside about terminology: In terms of the component names, the two top screws and the rear screw are "set screws." These aren't used to hold anything in place, but rather to make it easier to get minute changes by turning large turns of the hex wrench into tiny movements.

The three side screws are the ones that do all the holding. If replacing those, they are known as "socket caps."

Socket caps

• Baller

@Than_Bogan - purple low strength thread locker will do a great job of preventing that corrosion with out the difficulty in extraction that blue and red cause.

It prevents galling too on stainless to stainless applications such as stainless insert nuts in bindings like wileys

• Baller
Just the fact that the fin isn't very sensitive to fin changes makes it attractive to me. It takes me forever to adjust my fin and I struggle to repeatedly get the same readings. Something that if you got it to within 5/1000 would be nice.

• Baller
The longer DFT set screw will not work in my situation, the notch in the back of the fin is forward of the allowable range a set screw can move. But as others have said, the set screw is not necessary, but I would add it's a nice luxury when setting DFT. I'm positive the Adams will improve the design after they recieve feedback from the first adopters.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan - Yes, travel is limited by the clamp that holds the fin. The back of the CG fin sits in the clamped area infront of the open space seen in this picture with a stock fin. I will post the same picture with the CG fin tonight.

m2s2ibtnu01b.jpg

• Baller

You can always just file the inside of the fin block down a bit to expose more of the tail end of the fin. Keep in mind that Denali is trying to accommodate every other companies' fin block, not super easy in an industry with no defined standards.

On another note, that style of fin block in the pictures is wonderfully simplistic in design, but not terribly robust. It has a design flaw that can result in a loose fin. If you're swapping fins in and out you should also check to make sure you're actually clamping the fin and not the set screws. Because the set screws are in the slot, if the machining tolerances drift out of favor you'll end up clamping the screws and not the fin. To check, make sure your set screws turn freely after you have your fin clamped tight. If you can't freely turn your set screws then you're not fully clamping your fin and it may want to move. If this is a problem just remove the set screws altogether right before you fully tighten down the clamping screws. I believe the CG fin is on the thicker side of life so this should not be a problem, but super easy to check so might as well. I've actually seen this a few times with normal stock fins.

And while you're at it, file down the sharp tip of your set screws to allow your fin to slide along the set screws instead of the set screws diggong into the fin. I have no idea why skis come with cupped (sharp) style set screws, ball points would make so much more sense.

• Baller

My original fin numbers were:

DFT = .797

Length = 6.825 (tips)

Depth = 2.478

My CG fin numbers are:

DFT = .772

Length = 6.999

Depth 2.5

I’ve been banging my head against 14 meters for a few years now. I run it but inconsistently. I tend to come off the handle too soon. Just to give you an idea of my skill set.

I immediately felt comfortable with the fin settings. Nothing felt funky - it just felt fast! It makes a very cool humming sound - almost sounds like the roar of a crowd! When I came into 2 ball (my off side) @14 meters, it literally felt like I was on the 18 meter line. My ski (Mapple 6.0 65”) glided better and felt faster but still turned at least as well as it had with my previous fin - possibly better. And no crazy crashes to report. As long as I keep my elbows pinned to my vest out to the buoy line, I feel like this fin will help get me skiing 14 meters consistently by the end of the season.

Thanks Denali! I’m definitely happy with this purchase. Oh! Yes. My rear set screw worked its way out and is sitting at the bottom of our pond. Good riddance!

• Baller

Just finished testing the CG Fin on the NRG, EVO, and Vapor Pro. Without question, it made every ski better. Biggest effect was on the NRG, and this will be my main ski now of the three.

Some overall conclusions are that the standard wing added to much drag. Not so bad on the EVO or Vapor, but significant on the NRG. Switched to a Small Ventral Wing and the ski came alive and equally as fast as the EVO, which was the fastest of the tree. It also made the NRG equal to the Vapor as far as less effort.

After numerous settings from short/deep to long/shallow on all three skis, two conclusions really stand out. 1st, with the CG Fin, there are NO bad settings. 2nd, tune your ski to the best it can possibly be with the standard fin/wing. Then set the CG Fin at those same settings with the smallest wing you can find. I even added 2 washers on my final setting with the NRG to give it killer onside turns. I replaced my small Ventral, because of it being so low on the fin, made it a little nervous when the ski was flat after running the course and waiting to pull out at the end. Hunted left and right, and a little unnerving. I used a straight mini wing and that problem was solved, just running 5 degrees.

I believe the Adam's have really hit a home run with this fin, and I thank them for that !!!

• Baller

Patiently awaiting arrival of the CG fin like a kid at Christmas...

@Ed_Johnson - I plan on using my current settings for the regular fin and transferring to the CG. Did you leave the dft the same as well?

• Baller

@bf ... Slowly moved DFT Forward and is now at the most forward setting I can get .790. It really turns well in that position, just like the standard fin did.

@sfriis ... If you look at the picture Booze posted on page seven of a Mini Wing, a Ventral is the same wing, but the wings are angled down about 30 degrees, to reduce drag. Originally sold by Chet Raley and later by Goode. Worked really well on a standard fin position, however, it sits to low on the CG Fin. The straight Mini Wing works great though set at 5 degrees.

• Baller

I've got the CG fin on an earlier model Denali and very happy with the improvement.

I had a prototype CG fin also off the Denali which now fits in a D3 fin box, took meat off the front mainly and also some off the rear where it slots in. So if you can only find a Denali specific fin, rest assured its not too hard to make one fit in other brands.

Looking forward to dusting off the D3 with the new fin!