New CG Fin from Denali

Horton

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@Ed_Johnson, looking at the settings you used on the Vapor, forward DFT with the CG Fin, the numbers are much different than what I found to work. When I went forward the ski turned sharp, but the tail felt like it slid in the turn and the back of the ski became unstable or loose crossing the wake. I am at .742 DFT now and find this position to work well. Did you try moving DFT back from your standard fin settings by .030, at a minimum, as suggested by @AdamCord, and if so what were the results?

• Baller

@JC McCavit ... On all 3 skis I tested, started with short/deep, with a DFT of .670, and transitioned to long/shallow. With the Vapor, long shallow worked best for me with both the stock fin and the CG Fin. However, saying this, I have to point out, that I found it really critical with the Vapor to set up a Rhythm that made sure I was slow at the apex and could fall into a unloaded sharp turn, and accelerate off the apex with good angle. What I call, "Cutting the Corner."

The Vapor did not like me coming into the ball HOT and forcing a turn. That would not turn out well and would get the rhythm out of sync. Kind of like a Dog chasing his tail.

I must add that the CG Fin is not as critical on settings as standard fins are. What I found is that it is critical on size of wings and wing settings, more than anything else. Just today, I increased the angle on my mini-wing from 5 to 6 degrees, and for the first time started overturning my offside turns on the NRG. I also could feel a slight drag increase. It was hard for me to believe one degree would make that much difference, but it clearly did. It's now going back to 5 to stay for a while.

PS: I am glad you found a setting that works well for you, and I would stick with that. That is what all of us strive for. I believe sharing our settings and their results is incredibly helpful and thank you for your input.

I love my CG fin. I put it on a 2016 68" Vapor at the exact same setting I had on my standard fin except the suggested -.030 DFT.

The fin seemed to help me ski an earlier line. This makes both the toe and heel side turns seem effortless. There is a bit more drag. I will work on the wing angle and size.

• Baller
For the first rly Like the termination by @Ed_Johnson "Cutting the Corner" ill experience the opposite Im on the c-65 with CG-fin that i rly like but its way to fast for my non perfect skiing so i get no preturn at first buoy and huge slack at onsides and must wait like almost down next buoy before the boat pic me up and must take a hit that rips my arm off so FTM. im on the "BRICK" nano xt 17 that pull me up and drag me into into an preturn but must work my ass off on that ski 28 off so gonna try the CG-fin on the Goode report back my experience tomorrow,,, ED my like was no missclick by the cat ;) ty for great info

• Baller

I ride a 2018 67" Connelly GT and last week put a CG fin on it. I'm a shallow / long guy, and the numbers we settled on are 2.439" x 7.027" x 0.767" w/ 7 degrees of wing. Skiing 34 mph.

A few things I've noticed:

1) I haven't found settings that absolutely don't work. No matter what, the ski ran buoys.

2) You can use more extreme numbers and ratios on the fin to push out more performance in whatever aspect you are looking to improve, without the usual large negative that comes with it.

3) It is far less sensitive than a standard fin. You can definitely be off by several thou in any direction, and not really notice much. I made a mistake with my clamp last weekend, and the fin moved around quite a bit during a tournament. But my scores remained the same for all 3 rounds.

Another cool thing I feel in my setup personally is that the tail washes and slides through the turns because it's shallow, but then behind the boat it feels deeper. Kinda wild.

With each set that I take on the fin, combined with the variety of settings we tested, I'm becoming more convinced it's the real deal. Let me know any questions.

• Baller_
@PSM Did the experience of... "the tail washes and slides through the turns because it's shallow, but then behind the boat it feels deeper" ...translate into a tight line at the end of each turn??

• Baller
Moved the Denali CG fin to my Goode nano xt what a difference so much better speed and the drag is more or less gone as @PSM said the ski slide and smear much more not so grabby as before the XT retain more speed out of the turn can report back the settings think dft was 600 ish but shall measure it

• Baller

Are many still running the washers under the fin block with the CG fin? I saw @Ed_Johnson’s post that he was one that did so.

On a related note, I changed my wing angle from 9 to 8 per comments from @AdamCord. I liked the results. As one might expect, a bit more width and speed through the turns.

• Baller

69.5 2016 Vapor -stock matt rini settings -7.00 / 2.45 / 0.735 / 31

So far, trying various others setting and then messing with wing angle i still felt the ski was dragging behind and could never really get it to slide back under the rope at the finish of the turn.

finally, in total frustration, i went back to stock rini setting and took the wing completely off

. got some of the earliest widest 28 passes of my life. still have more experimenting to do with a mini wing, but right now this ski is ' magic '.

• Baller

@Horton can the system be setup in a way that you would have to confirm your Dislike, Disagree, and Off Topic responses. For example, Somebody disagrees with somebody's comment, so they click Disagree. A box then pops up and says "You clicked Disagree, click "Ok" to confirm this response, or "Cancel" to unselect and exit" or something to that nature.

Often on topics, there are several posts going back and forth about, why did you disagree with my comment, etc. Usually it's on a discussion where a Dislike or Disagree doesn't make sense. The response later in the post is usually the person saying sorry, must have bumped it on accident.

The above suggestion would alleviate some of these unnecessary discussions and confusions. Just a thought.

I'm probably going to get an "Off Topic" response now,.......and rightfully so. :)

• Baller

Everybody likes to be liked, right? lol. I do just want to talk fins and skis. Just want to make sure that it's clear that I'm not complaining about waiting for one.

(planning on flagging my own post as off-topic :) )

• Supporting Member
@S1Pitts I've stated elsewhere: For me the c-65 wasn't that noticeable compared the prototype "c-53" that I was skiing previously. But when I went to the new fin it was VERY noticeable. It made it a) almost impossible to set it in a bad spot and b) able to hold angle very easily.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan

Thank you this is very good news but now I am sad.

I just purchased a used 2018 C 65 at a severely discounted price, but the fella pulled out the cg fin and replaced it with the standard. I have seen posts stating the Denali fin can be easily modded to work in other clamps but have not seen a post about the other brand version being modded to fit the Denali clamp. I have a other brand fin but still ordered the Denali version and have no idea when it will arrive. Ski will be here in 2 days so unless it's an easy tweak to make it fit the first ride will likely be without a cg fin.

Had a super good set on my vapor / cg fin combo this am. So looking forward to the Denali full meal deal.

• Baller

@S1Pitts... I think it would be a good idea to get a few sets with the Regular Fin to dial in the ski with that. Then when you switch to the CG Fin, you will be able to know how much difference it made. That would be valuable information.

I know from dialing in my NRG with the Regular Fin first, and getting it as good as it could be, I now have a great understanding of just how good the CG Fin is. Interestingly, the CG Fin ended up working best with the same numbers I ended up with with the Std. Fin, which was much more sensitive to fin changes.

The result was that the CG Fin totally transformed the NRG into a different ski. It is now so efficient that I start my edge change for 28 and 32 off at the first wake, because of the tremendous amount of carry out. Still trying to get use to, and build upon that. Plus it turns on a dime.

PS: Let us know your impressions of the C-65. Also, did you have a S1 Pitts. I had 4 of them over the years...Thanks

• Baller

@Ed_Johnson

I had my vapor dialed as good as I could get it on the stock fin and found I had to reduce all the fin settings by 0.010", and reduce the dft another 0.010 from the 0.030 Adam suggested as a starting point. The ski is so wide and early @ 32 off it now feels like I might never get to the ball before I sink.LOL

Makes sense to ski the standard fin first being much more sensitive in movement in order to find the settings. The 0.010 moves really just refined the initial first feel.

The S1 is my all time fav but will never be a check on my bucket list for ownership. Too busy skiing :D

• Baller
Again guys sorry for the delay. We finally got word on Friday that the fins had shipped form the machine shop. We expect to have those early this week and then will get them turned around and out the door as quickly as possible.

• Baller

After many different wing trials I favor the Denali S wing. It just works in harmony with the CG fin IMHO. Went from 10.5 deg on the mini wing to 7 deg on the S wing.

Better brakes in the pre-turns with more speed in the crossings. Very nice feel to the finish of the turn as well.

• Baller

@JC McCavit you know your boats! A trailer queen I bought in 2009 with only 24 hrs on the clock. I have only seen one other boat like it posted for sale in Florida a few yrs back.

@Bruce_Butterfield it would be interesting to see his settings. Looking at the horizontal rear slot the back of the fin is running quite deep as there appears to be more of the slot showing than what does on mine?

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield; I've ordered a CG fin for my 2016 Denali (I purchased this ski when they first introduced the Denali ski - it's the first production model). I've always had trouble getting it to finish the turn in my off side (RFF). From the picture, it looks like your CG fin settings are from one of these older Denali skis - is that correct? I'm looking for some settings to start with when my new fin arrives. Also, do you have the measurement for your front binding? My ski is 66.5" long, and I'd been using 30.5", which is as far forward as I could get it.

• Baller_

@One_Ski I rode several of the early Denali prototypes with fin settings all over the map, long before the cg fin came about. I would start with the settings I posted above. The fin is very tolerant of significant adjustments.

30.5 seems really far forward on a 66.5. I would check the Denali forum or ping one of the Adams for a better binding position

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding