New CG Fin from Denali

Horton

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@mbabiash sent me his CG to try, since his season is over and mine only takes short breaks for a week or 2 of cold. Tried it on a 2018 68 Vapor Pro Build at 6.830 2.50 0.730. Just took a few passes and was insanely early. I had to adjust my gate pull out, as it gets crazy width very easily. I was not getting the ski back under the line offside, as quickly as I’m used to. It will take a few rides to get figured out, but if I made sure I had a lot of front foot pressure into my offside (2,4,6) that slow turn finish was gone.

All I know is, after one ride, just messing around with getting comfortable, I’m now order #330

• Baller

Thanks @adamhcaldwell. I’m ready for your next ski to be released. Reading back through this thread (the moving boots a full inch forward, in particular) makes me wonder if this fin*, and designs like it, are going to change overall ski design going forward.

*thanks @Than_Bogan

• Baller

Haha..... @aupatking, your sharp!

On reason we’ve held back on a Ski is because of what we were learning with this fin! We have made some fairly radical changes to our design because of what this fin is allowing us to do, and learn.

It has also proven to me that YAW, PITCH roll trumps Roll, Pitch, Yaw.

We are now highly focused on Yaw/Pitch/Roll.... or what cord likes to call....”The Spraymaker”.

• Baller

Very good question. I’ve got the borrowed CG on a PB Vapor and my new CG on the T3. Ive taken one ride on the Vapor but need to get it dialed in. Gonna try the adjustment @adamhcaldwell suggested. Not sure where to start on the T3. Gonna go stock settings on the T3 first, I guess.

So it may be a 3 set day, whenever that is. Supposed to be cold and rainy for the next few days, so I’m stuck looking at them just being pretty for a little bit. Gotta say, I love how I could crank any turn as hard as I wanted the first ride and felt like it stayed connected no matter what

• Baller
@adamcord I ski with a Goode XTM settings tried are 6,824, 2,491and 0,708 compared to last standard fin settings 6;823, 2,487 and 0,723. The ski felt that it was grabbing the tip at the finish of offside and onside was a bit aggressive despite that the fwbk setting was back. Shall I make it a bit shorter ie 6,820 move the front binding 1/8 back or do you have another recommendation ?

• Baller

Quick update, and why I am more and more blown away each day with the CG Fin design......

The holding power and overall performance of the CG fin has given us has enabled us to make some really cool changes to the ski design.

@AdamCord Cord and I took a major leap outside the box and took a big risk with the ski design to try to capitalize on these amazing performance opportunities. Objectively attempting to get the ski to automatically execute certain dynamics we are trying to accomplish through technique/philosophy.

Were talking about massive changes to tunnel volumes, torsion, lift progression, and even sizing methodology!

Obviously we are horrible at marketing, but I want to share my excitement after only my second set on the latest revision of the 7-series design (only second set in 30+ days due to terrible weather and holidays...). I cannot wait to get this into the hands of some other skiers!

Actual test message to cord last night on the v.7.5. Hopefully I'll remember to take video in the next couple of days!

tcu7u2ibndlzz.png

• Baller

@adamhcaldwell ... Congrats !!!

Was this at 34 or 36 mph? I know you said before you were working on a special 34 mph ski.

When can we expect the new version to be released ?

PS: I LOVE my CG Fin on my NRG. It totally changed that ski for the better.

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

• Baller

@Ed_Johnson we were planning to wait longer and announce the ski properly, but clearly @adamhcaldwell is just way too excited about it...

He was skiing @34mph last night after 2 weeks off the water when he ran 5@41. Oh and this was his 2nd set on this particular ski.

Info I'm willing to give out at this time:

This ski was developed 100% at 34mph

It's called the c75

It will be available soon

The sizing is totally different than what the rest of the industry is doing.

I matched my practice PB on my 3rd set on it after 2 months off the water.

• Baller

I was at Okeeheelee a few weeks ago and decided to try moving the fin forward on my last set. It’s was really windy and I hadn’t skied since October.

I was pleasantly surprise at how my old green vapor performed. It was messy but I was able to round some buoys.

I’m really excited to give this new ski a try! It sounds like it’ll be more forgiving on my old body ?

Any pics or video?

Great job guys! I love the out of the box thinking!

• Baller

Over the last 2 weeks I have put the CG fin in 2 different skis and been from one end of the tuning spectrum to the other. At one point I was a little lost and went back to my old fin and block for a reset, I honestly hated the feel of the stock KD fin after using the CG fin. I put the CG into the Nano for a few passes which helped me work out some things. Went back to the KD with a new set of numbers and hit a sweet spot - I feel the CG fin has improved the KD significantly in every aspect, its faster and easier on the body side to side, the offside is like something I have never felt before on a ski - it seems to create space so easily. For $150 its a no brainer, watch the video and yeah it does everything that it says on the packet and then some... Nice work Adam and Adam - thank you.

My KD 67 settings

For those that are wondering most of the tuning time was spent finding a balance between onside / offside performance and a balance between feeling good at -32 and performing at -38 On the KD fin length seems to be the critical number, too long with the CG fin and your going over the front first time offside, I found out the most spectacular hard way. Even at 6.830 there is a decent amount of tip pressure to be aware of. I went to the Nano to see if it had the same feel and it was different. I will conclude by saying this "Cold dead hands"

• Baller

I think the CG fin is a game changer but is it significant enough to influence your ski size selection?

For this question assume you were on the bubble between sizes and it’s the same ski in two different sizes.

A) yes, with a CG fin I can make a smaller ski more stable.

B ) yes, I can make a lager ski turn easier.

C) no, the CG fin will not influence on what size ski I choose.

Disclaimers: 1) yes, yes, demo first is always the answer. 2) yes, I know the “experts” say always size up.

• Baller

June 2018

FYI to anyone who has one of these fins and is starting to play with it. We are finding that you can run the same settings you can with your old fin, but will need to pull the fin back about .03".

Also this fin is way way less sensitive to length and depth changes than a normal fin so not only do you not need to be as precise when setting up the fin, but you can make big adjustments and the ski will still work.

For example we've run everything from 2.35-2.65" depth and 6.45-7.20" length and have still been able to ski well with it. I't a bit nuts.

• Baller

@Bill22 if you're in between sizes, the way you ski will have a much bigger impact on whether you upsize or downsize than the fin will. If you ski with your ass back and get deep in the turns, upsize. If you are light on the ski and are efficient behind the boat, downsize.

@ActionSport after a year of testing most people are liking .010-.020" shorter and deeper, as well as 1-2 degrees less wing from their original settings.

• Baller

I've skied for over 40 years and have not once ever gone through a slalom course. I ski open water but am still as passionate and in love with skiing as I was back when I was a boy absolutely determined to get up on one ski for the first time. I don't know if I'll ever get to run a course or ski on a Denali or try a CG or Whisperfin but I can feel and can't help but get caught up in everyone's excitement and anticipation over all the changes these great innovators are bringing about. It seems as though we're on the cusp of an entirely new era where just about everything is about to undergo rapid and significant change.

If you think about snow skis, they went for decades with the old straight skinny ski design and year-to-year changes finally got to where advances were generally always microscopic and incremental. Then, all of a sudden, shaped skis hit the market and boom EVERYTHING changed. The pace at which advances were made and changes ocurred was incredibly fast after that.

It seems like we're just on the cusp of something like that in water skiing and innovators like @AdamCord, @adamhcaldwell and @SkiJay are leading the way with radically new fin and ski designs. It seems like this is going to be a really important period in the history of the sport. It should be quite an adventure. :)

Thank you, @AdamCord, @adamhcaldwell and @SkiJay for what you're doing for the sport and for all of us who will ultimately benefit from your pioneering spirit, drive, passion, curiousity and determination.

• Baller
@AdamCord ski feels much better with recommended adjustments (shorter forward deeper) tips still slightly grabs on the offside (wing at 6 degrees compared to 8,5 for standard fin). Would welcome also a bit more cross course speed (although not bad). Ant suggestions? Thanks a lot for the help so far

• Baller

This was discussed a long time ago back on page 8, I apologize if it was beat to death, I have not read all 20 pages of this thread.

To get the DFT setting I want I have been putting an O-ring pick between the set screw and fin to push fin forward enough. I bought some Nylon tip set screws from McMaster-Carr to fix this. YES, I know if the fin is really snug the nylon could compress a little as I am trying to make adjustments. That is a minor inconvenience. I had a professional machinist drill out the block where the set screw tip pushes DFT forward (A).

I now have a new minor issue that was unexpected. The fin will not move more to the front because the front setscrew (length adjust screw) is contacting fin. I plan to have my machinist friend remove 0.15-0.20” from this spot to make clearance (B).

Part # 90291A407, 5/16-24 x ½”. A little longer would have been better but they only had 0.5” or 1.0” length.

rsok75i8zkit.png

t3ryp5k1bdrl.png

• Baller

@Bill22,

We have had a few issues integrating to ALL fin blocks. New batch of fins will have some more tweaks to resolve.

You can failrly easily get a file, and make the cutout larger as needed to remove material where the arrow is to allow the fin to shift more forward in the block.

If you need to remove more then a 1-20/1000s of material, it could be cut with a band saw, or something to remove more material as necessary.

Aluminum is a fairly soft materiel and cuts fairly easily.

We hopefully soon ALL the kinks will be worked out with interference issues.