Anyone have the new Reflex Super Shell 3.0?

aupatking

• Baller

I have the 2.0 super shell, one of my ski buddies got the 3.0 at the end of last season. He is very happy with it.

As far as I can see, the main difference is it has the new 840 silveretta release mechanism that is more vertically oriented than the 750 on my shell.

One can retro fit the 2.0 shell with the 840 release - I am interested in that due to the stainless steel arms as I have a fair amount of rust on mine.

Visual inspection leads me to believe the heel cup is the same, and the boot itself is the same- just different colors, I was hoping they improved both over the 2.0 to eliminate a small amount of play I experience.

I sent in a question on this topic to reflex on their website (actual changes between 2.0 & 3.0) - no response yet.

While at ski paradise (which rocks by the way if you’ve never been) this Feb I got a close look at the latest version of the HO Syndicate hardshell, it’s impressively engineered - the boot fits into the plate like a glove - there is zero play when locked in. The HO has the same 750 silveretta release as the 2.0 reflex. Only advantage the reflex shell has is better ankle mobility and range of motion, the HO shell is very rigid in comparison.

• Baller
@jmoski the shell is not made by reflex, so they cannot make changes to it. They add the various parts to it and make the cradle that it sits in. That shell does have better ankle flex and sits flatter than the shell that HO buys and adapts... Both boots are skate boots made for inline or ice skating.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

I’m wondering if the boot heel block changed position, up or down, OR did they change the position of the mounting holes on the plate, as the release mechanism is more upright.

From the website, it only asks what boot you are buying the release for, so it doesn’t sound like a plate change.

• Members
I bought it at the end of last season. The release mechanism is essentially the same except for stainless now on the release and the set screws are slightly different. The boot is more aerodynamic and the plate locks the heel down better then the 2.0 IMO. Worth the upgrade from the 1.0 white/cuff if you needing to, otherwise not vastly improved from 2.0. The boot itself looks better, and this season Reflex is suppose to give you choices in boot color and release mechanism color

Just a heads-up that the new boot also has a side-side cuff angle adjustment in one of the hinges... take a look... ;) Sweet for balancing you up over the ski as I know a few people grumbled about the supershell pushing their fromt leg too 'upright'.

• Baller
@aupatking I use a black shell system but I have a Supershell 3 with 840 release at my house. The heel block is at the same height. 840 is a direct fit for any Reflex system, the only difference is the bases option. Small aluminum bases for the Supershell and bigger with the plastic adjusting screws for the older systems. I have put few 840s to older systems as an upgrade. No mods needed.

• Baller

Comparing the White Cuff Reflex Boot to the new 3.0.... how is the volume inside the boot? Specifically, space above the instep. I have kind of a low volume foot and I’m looking for a fit that snug on top of my instep. How about the difference between the black and white cuff Reflex? I haven’t seen too many 2.0 or 3.0 compared to the older ones

• Baller

This thread was just about the differences in early Super Shell vs the 3.0 with 840. I’m super happy with my new 840. I like the more upright mechanism bars and as @skialex said, nothing to modify. zbadyjzkkudo.jpeg

i1kufoogjgyu.jpeg

vo2ot5ehnv0e.jpeg

I’ve had both @Deanoski. I liked my black shell, and wish I still had it. It just wasn’t as good a fit for my foot. There were some performance issues I like more with the black boot but even that needed mods. I’ve mod’ed my Super Shell to the point that I’m super happy with it now. Overall, it just fits my foot better than any other boot I’ve tried: Black Reflex, Super Shell, Syndicate/Edge, and Powershell. The fit is totally dependent on the persons foot, so I’m not suggesting any one over any other.