Boat stereo

WBLskier

• Baller
I’m about to install 4 JL MX650s and a M400/4 amp in my 1999 Ski Nautique. Also went with the JL Bluetooth receiver that hooks directly into the amp - no head unit necessary. Doesn’t get much simpler than that... I am also installing an 8 inch sub under the bow for a little more punch, but from what I have heard, the MX650s would be no slouch on their own.

• Baller
I would just buy a decent head unit, your crutchfields, Best Buy, or any place like that. If you are not running an amp then that is the route I would go. I have a Bluetooth receiver plugged In my amp as well and don’t like it. If you don’t your phone hooked up then it beeps at you the whole time, feedback sound all the time, always have to have my phone in the boat at all times..... just get a brand name head and call it a day. eBay will have some great deals also.

• Baller

Kenwood makes a marine version of one of their more popular models that works really well and interfaces great with iPhones and iPods . I installed it in my old boat and was very happy. New boat came with the kicker media center 100 that's a nice unit too. Lots of easy upgrades available so may be more than you are looking for.

@OSUwaterskier looking forward to hearing your stereo this summer!

• Baller

@bigskieridaho Bluetooth receiver will be wired into the accy switch on dash along with the amp remote wires. If the stereo is not in use, will flip off the accy switch and won’t have those issues.

@ToddA I have always had issues with stargazer (continuously reboots on start up, reboots when horn is honked, etc) and have heard it’s a ground issue. I am going to run new separate grounds for stargazer and for the amps (the two amp grounds will come together in a distribution block - highly recommend the wetsounds power/ground combo distribution block for a very clean setup if you are running multiple amps) to the grounding location on the rear of the engine block. Jeff from Planet Nautique went this route and he says it worked wonders for his electrical system.

• Baller
One bit of advice on stereo equipment, try to tie everything to the same ground and preferably directly to the battery or a grounding block that has a large direct lead to the battery. Seems anytime I have stereo components with separate grounding points I end up with interference noise unless I follow the above rule.

• Baller
OSUwaterskier, I have a 98 nautique and just bought that same pair of JL speaker for it. How did you mount them properly? With the cloth cover on the nautique and the non-removable grills on the JLs I can't see a way to mount them flush which will not provide very good sound. I am thinking I might have to return them and get something where the grill comes off.

• Baller

8q33dndl63bi.png

Just installed this JBL marine unit in my 63 Rayson Craft. Very nice unit. Has plenty of power with 4 6 inch Infinity speakers. I like the small size and not traditional rectangle shape. Is prewired for amps and remotes. Bluetooth and radio. Waterproof.

• Baller
Just replacing a standard size deck located under driver side armrest. Would consider round dash mount but I only have a small depth gauge size round opening available not a larger speedo size. Not sure how big the dash mount option is.

• Members

Almost any common $100-$150 modern single-DIN CD receiver should work fine in a SN glovebox. Bluetooth is standard on most of them and 20W/ch is plenty for the 6" speakers in a boat. Run a decent mono amp to a sub tucked all the way up in the bow by the cleat and you won't lose much storage and it'll still project well.

I have a Pioneer in my 2003 SN196 and they have a Bluetooth app (ARC) that allows you to control the head unit with your phone as a wireless remote. I replaced the round Clarion remote in the dash with a phone holder so I don't lose my phone and can easily access radio control without opening the glovebox. A single 10" up in the front storage has a surprising amount of bass. With that there, I make sure I have a 100Hz high pass on the four normal speakers, which prevents them from trying to play the low notes that they really can't do anyway.

• Baller

@OSUwaterskier stargazer LOVES if you run a separate duplexed wire from the battery to the helm bypassing the ignition. Either with a switched relay off the ignition to it or a manual power switch for stargazer.

It also loves it if you use a nice beefy wire for it.

If you otherwise suspect ground issues but it starts fine then just run a heavy new ground from the block into the helm and connect to the common ground.

@WBLskier

I'd highly recommend this unit from Fusion if you're just looking to replace the standard "single-DIN" size factory stereo unit. My family has one in our boat. It's a little pricier than others, but has a great interface and app compatibility that makes running your tunes from your phone even easier than others. From what I understand, it's also got enough juice to power a couple speakers on its own, although an amp always helps things sound better.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_917RA70I/FUSION-MS-RA70.html?tp=61742

OR this thing if you want something less expensive. It's one of the top sellers on Crutchfield and I have had good experiences with Sony head units.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158DSXM55B/Sony-DSX-M55BT.html?tp=61742