Ski Nautique 2019

skierjp

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

In the video with Matt Rini he said at 34mph from 32 off and shorter every thing is the same with the micro tuners. I won’t see one of these for a while so it doesn’t matter to me. Maybe Nautique should make a video with the exact details.

Edit: I am in the camp of, I don’t care about the looks or price, I am glad CC is developing new technology.

• Baller
@Ilivetoski I think what @skierjp means that if you are free skiing or practicing you can override and deploy the microtuners whenever you want but in a tournament setting the line length selection on screen dictates what the gate and tuners do. then it’s the same for everyone who skis at that length

• Baller

@skierj - I am curious if the ZO automatically adjusts line length in tournament mode or if you input at every pass. With ZBS and opt-up options I suspect it is the latter. Do the micro-tuners in the wrong position constitute a valid reason for a re-ride?

Very excited to ski/drive the new boat.

• Baller
@Bdecker the line length is entered manually at the end of every pass. A reride for the micro tuner being in the wrong position will be up to AWSA. As a Senior Driver and skier I recommend confirming with the driver when a line length is changed somewhat like we do with the letter, number and speed. I’ve had skiers that confirm their settings on every pass!

• Baller
There will be a lot of errors made, failing to change line length. Used to be the skier only had to worry about the judge properly changing line length. Now both driver and judge. Poor drivers, I feel sorry for them. Given the fact that there will only be 35 promo team members and the price for an individual, I'll likely never drive one in a tournament, maybe only ski one at Regionals, based on the draw. I'm not so different from a lot us, we may NEVER ski one, so no need to worry about the details.

• Baller
Increasing the element of human error with having to manually enter the line length at the end of every pass is certainly going to create controversy. I like the innovation but it may be trumped by adding to the process.

• Baller
I don’t know what the AWSA rules plan is. But you could leave it up to the skier like a ZO setting. Whether off the dock or before a pass you can change your ZO setting. Same could be true for micro tuners. Yes, it’s another thing to manage and people will make mistakes, but I am game to play with it.

• Baller
Some of you people need to get a grip, complaining about innovation that makes the wake better because of some hypothetical situation where a driver doesn’t change the setting. Complaining about price before the boat is really on the market. Tough crowd to please.

• Baller_
Interesting comments leading to 2 questions: @skierjp : you note micro tuners are optimized so I am curious to @TEL's comment that deploying them at 28 off improved the wake and they are not programmed to be deployed at that length via comprehensive testing, and then why would micro tuner position be considered any different than one's ZO setting?

• Baller

So when do these tabs deploy in a tournament? Is it not until 38 off is entered in the computer? If so a large majority of skiers will never feel the difference with these tabs..

@WoodySkier I don’t think anyone is complaining about a better wake. But if you ski tournaments then you know how much of a headache things can be already and we only have speed, line length, and ZO setting... and typically you’re either only changing speed or line length after each pass. If drivers never drive this new Nautique except a few rare occasions at special tournaments like regionals I can easily see and understand them forgetting to change the line length in the computer

• Baller

I can see it now! a rope with microchips inserted at each line length read by a sensor in the tow pylon that automatically tells the computer where the hydrogate and micro tuners should be.

Welcome to the $1,000 rope!!!!!

• Baller

@WoodySkier I agree with you about prematurely complaining. It might give us all six more buoys!?? Likely it will ski fine. Maybe the world record will get pushed up a half buoy - not because of the boat but because some skier has incredible skills.

It is fair however to bitch about the published price. That incredibly skilled skier also must be incredibly rich. That sucks. And is a serious design flaw.

@gman Please take a boat through the AWSA approval process. Conspiracy theorists will see your company bought out to keep prices ridiculously high. Might be a good business plan?

Eric

• Baller
Sounds like to manually drop the tabs, you probably just fool the electronics by inputting a shorter line length that would lower the tabs, while using a longer line. Next question is.....if it did improve the wake at the longer line lengths, why did they not have it programmed to lower when using those longer lines also?

• Baller

Drag fangs should either be on or off for a skier's whole set IMO. Set it once and let it be. If you're the skier, pick the setting which will help you on your hardest pass. From what I've read so far, they don't make the longer line wakes any worse so you may as well just ski with them in the optimal setting for your hardest pass the whole way.

That way you're not burdening the drivers with another setting they need to futz with at the end of the lake every time.

What ever happened to just getting in the boat with your friends and going skiing?

• Baller

For what it’s worth, the driver already has to change the speed between every pass for a huge chunk of skiers in tournaments. Of course there will be a learning curve and mistakes will be made with the addition of a rope length setting, but it’s not the end of the world.

@Ilivetoski it sounded pretty clear from @TEL 's review that the micro-tuners are used at -28', and that they make a big difference. I believe he was saying that it skied "about the same" as his 196 without the micro-tuners engaged, but with them the wake was "smoothed out tremendously".

“What happened to just getting in the boat with your friends and going skiing?” Absolutely nothing. Nautique’s new technology is in no way preventing anyone from going out for a rip. If you don’t want to mess with micro-tuners, or fin settings, or ZO letters, or whatever else... you don’t have to! Just tell the driver your speed and line length and have fun!

• Baller
@bbrannan yes, that was a part of his review of the boat, but others are saying in tournament mode you have no control over them, and they don’t deploy until 38 off is entered in the system.... and if I’m practicing at 32 or 35 why would I want to deploy them if in a tournament I’m not going to get them until 38?? (Assuming I ever get to ski a practice set behind this boat)

• Baller
I might be completly in left field... But it sounds like maybe the tabs extend at varying depths depending on both the speed and line length. Kind of makes sense if that is the case. They might be designed to do different things for a B1 at 30 mph -35 off vs a OM at 36 mph and -35 off. Both skiers at 35 off but wakes are very different. Just a thought.

• Baller_
@skierjp So if "not bad" (assuming down) and 'better" without them (assuming up) the 200 and "awesome" at some line lengths (assuming down), why would you ever want them up during slalom??. What is the rational for tuners up??. I have to assume that it would be...with the tuner up, X line and X speed is better then down. If not, I see no reason they would ever be in the up position. What am I missing?

• Baller
All, I think things are getting crazy. Let the boat do the thinking and just select the line length you are skiing and let the micro tuners do their thing. There has been countless hours of R&D and skiing to decide whether the micro tuners should be up or down to improve the wake.

• Baller

hjwoxjtpw7m3.png

It looks like if you go by the current rules, skiers will only be able to use the tuners/gate in the boats tested configuration. If the rules are not modified for this situation, this would be the case. So everyone can relax and not have to worry about another decision.

• Baller
@skierjp - Do you really have to enter the rope length for each pass? If so I'm pretty surprised as I would have thought you would just enter it prior to the first pass and the boat would increment as needed with driver only intervening for opt up. Seems like the boats computer could keep track even for speed increases (don't increment if driver changes speed for example) but increment once boat reaches target speed if nothing else changed.

• Baller
@disland - doesn't AWSA sanction 99+% of the L & R tournaments in the US. If another federation sanctioned the tournament (like Worlds @ Swiss a few years back) things could be different.