HO Syndicate Omni - Review

Horton

• Administrators

Omni 5

The HO Syndicate Omni is the best Crossover ski from HO to date. This ski has a remarkably wide performance envelope. It could be a great first ski or a great ski for cruising for miles on open water, and it is a great ski for chasing buoys.

For many skiers, the Omni would be a better choice than a more expensive and less stable traditional slalom ski. For this review, I ran numerous 32 offs on the 67 inch ski and through 35 off on the 65 inch ski. You can certainly take the Omni to shorter rope lengths, but past 35 off, a ski like the Syndicate Pro would be a better choice.  

Compared to a ski like the Syndicate Pro, the Omni is a little wider at the front binding and significantly wider at the tail. One of the benefits of the extra width is that the ski is more stable side to side as well as from front to back. This additional stability makes it easier for skiers to be in a better skiing position. Approaching the turn, this ski instills confidence and allows the skier adjust their stance as needed.

Omni 2

In terms of speed, the Omni creates ample speed and then maintains that speed. For all levels of skiers this means more skiing with less fatigue and less sore muscles. In the slalom course, the Omni gets very wide around the balls with minimal skier effort. As the rope gets shorter than 32 off, the skier needs to be mindful to not create excess speed.  

Turns on both sides are fast and crisp. The Omni delivers more of a snap at the finish of the turn than a carving turn. The On Side turns on this ski are particularly forgiving and fun. The Omni turns best with front foot pressure but is forgiving for less than ideal technique.

The one thing about this ski that stands out the most to me is how comfortable I feel on it from the second wake to the finish of the turn. During the review period, I was able to work on technical aspects of my turns that would be much more difficult to learn on a traditional shape ski.

Omni 4

• Baller

I was setting the fin on my new Syndicate Omni when I ran into an issue. The screw that adjusts fin depth isn't even close to being long enough. I turned it all the way down yet it didn't even come close to moving the fin downward. I had to try to set the depth by hand! Did I just get a bad screw? @savaiusini

Garn

• Baller

@savaiusini - thanks for the info.. looking at the factory setting info for this ski, it gives fin settings...i take it that these are fixed becuase of the drop through fin?

I forgot to mention that she is skiing the course. Her goal is to start running into 22’off, but her current set up is waaaay to advanced and unforgiving.

• Baller
@gavski Correct, but easy to upgrade to adjustable fin if you feel there are limitations with the stock option. This ski will help her get to 22' off for sure! What ski and size is she currently riding?

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

65” 2016 womans radar Vapor. Good ski, but it is not the right ski for her current ability.

From what i have seen & read, i think that 95% of our club skiers should be riding the Omni..as opposed to a 41’ off weapon...

• Baller
@gavski based on that info, the 63" Omni will have the same or more surface area to the ski she is riding now. The 65" will make things even easier at 28-32 mph range.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
Just got my first ride on my Carbon Omni. First impressions after a lot of free skiing this morning, beyond that I'm out of shape. I got up so easy compared to prior skies. There is no edge hunting and it just glides through the water. My first few turns surprised me a bit with speed across the wake. I was behind a less than ideal boat so that was actually something I had to be mindful of. This is really preliminary overall but I think it's going to be a wonderful and fun friendship.