Purity

Horton

• Administrators

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhdG-1egTEe/

I follow this guy's Instagram. There are no buoys or ZO or gate cameras or 100k boats or fin adjustment. He just loves water skiing.

• Administrators
You guys are sort of making fun. I'm serious I think this guy may have more pure joy from water skiing then most of us who are scrutinizing every tiny technical bit and chasing a quarter ball

• Baller

My uncle lost a battle to melanoma...after losing his leg and he was pretty weak. My Dad got him up by basically bear hugging him, his skis on each side of my uncle behind a Boston Whaler. Once up and running my Dad let go and Leo was off on his own with tears of joy running down his face and a huge smile.

Many of us grew up hackers having family fun...geez I've got a lot of photos and some old real movie camera footage converted to VHS. We grew up hacks having an absolute blast trying to stop the damned boat on our slalom skis and touch our shoulders to the wake. Great stuff rolling around in my head.

We broke ropes behind our outboards and thought all those guys releasing with one hand and making dainty turns behind their Nautiques were sissies.

We went to the big rock (called Indian Joe) and pulled gainers/one and a halfs/backflips etc when most were scared to jump. We threw barefoot flyers off the bridge.

Those were the days.

• Baller

@6balls definitely! We had an old tri-hull then a deep v 18’ I/O. My dad refused to let us use wetsuits and the water temp only got above 70deg for a couple weeks. Broke home-made rope after rope. I didn’t know or care about form or buoys, I was there for spray, fun, booze, and impressing bikinis.

I’m embarrassed to admit on this forum but I’ve only run 1course 30 years ago when I signed up for a tournament just to see if I could do it. I’m proud to say that I made it through the first pass...but that was the end of that.

I still just love to ski and am interested in form more for self preservation than performance.

• Baller
Yes yes yes.... 16 years old and slaloming behind a 35 horse whaler because that's what we had (you could just about throw the driver over the steering wheel)... Winning the bet: 'no way you can barefoot behind a 65 horse trihull'... Yes I did.... All pure joy times.

• Baller_

Learned behind a 1949 Chris Craft with a 15 HP Johnson (tiller steering). That included slaloming on one 72" Cypress Gardens jump ski with no rear binding.

Broke the drive shaft on my Dad's 1966 14 foot Sea King (based on the Starcraft Mustang) with a 40 HP Evinrude. That was the result of cutting hard on my first slalom ski and stopping the boat.

Each HP increase (50, 70, 85, 135 I/O) was always exciting. Didn't even see or try an actual slalom course until I was 25. Just worked on cuts, turns, and spray.

We would ski for miles on our lake, which is almost 6000 acres. We'd be exhausted and then just do it again the next day.

Didn't get my first inboard until I was 38 years old. Still just as obsessed as ever - maybe more so.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.