Removing shaft from 91 ProStar

Bill22

• Baller

Posting this for a friend. Can anyone provide help on how to remove a shaft in this ProStar?

Currently having a issue getting this nut off the end of the shaft. Boat is a 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351 Ford with Velvet drive. Did a quick search online but didn’t find what we are looking for.

6qzl1hz1s7rh.jpeg

82gwk3cf9212.jpeg

• Baller

Sorry MC sold two trans options both velvet drive.

Looking at it I'm sure it is a 1:1. It's likely to be between 1 and 1.25" I know the power slot is 1.25 because I've ground a socket down for those.

To avoid getting skunked have the guy bring down a few sizes around that range and it'll be easy. I just forget if it is the same thread and nut. And sometimes people replace factory shafts with elberts or such.

• Baller

Hey guys, thanks for all the help!

As I said, I have only done stuff like; oil change, prop change, raw water impeller on a DD. If you could fit an Alpha-1 under the hood I would at least know a little bit.

• Baller
Contingency plan: IF you can't get that nut off, and if you have access to an engine lift, you can take the four engine mount nuts off without messing with the adjusters, and lift the engine straight up until you have enough clearance to pull the shaft out from the engine side with the mounting flange still on it. I broke my prop shaft two seasons ago and this is what we had to do to get it out. You're going to have to re-align the new shaft anyway so there's no real negative to lifting the engine and then sitting it right back down. Good luck.

• Baller

@Bill22 it's a very common aftermarket mfg. Easy to get a shaft really.

Gear ratios are expressed as the number of turns the engine makes:number of turns the prop makes.

1 rpm engine : 1 turn prop 1:1

1.5 turns engine : 1 turn prop is a gear reduction ie. This gives the engine a mechanical advantage to swing a bigger or steeper prop slower instead of a smaller shallower prop faster.

@Timr71 Why not cut the shaft?