First Timer to Ski School

albertabrad

Hi All,

First time posting. I'm 34 and have been slalom skiing since I was about 10 years old; primarily open water, but i've had the opportunity to run the course on occasion. In May I'll be realizing a longstanding goal of mine which is to go to a ski school for 4 days. I hope to do this on a yearly basis going forward. I've never been coached in the sport, but have always had an strong desire to course ski and progress in the sport. I would consider myself a novice skier and I don't think I have too many bad habits (but I guess i'll see shortly). My question is perhaps broad, but any tips or advice for a first-time ski school attendee? Appreciate it!

• Baller

I was in exactly the same situation as you this past winter--except I'm 50. I went to The Boarding School and got coached by Freddie Winter which was a fantastic experience. I have decades old bad habits which are really tough to unlearn and it seemed like all the coaching I got while sitting in the water exited my brain by the time I had re-started and was heading toward the course. Freddie was great because he didn't overwhelm me with jargon or a laundry list of critique, he concentrated on fundamentals.

If I had any advise to give it's don't get frustrated, understand that it's a learning process and tape the shit out of your hands, mine were oozing puss like a hooker at a leper convention.

I too got my first formal training this week. I'm actually sitting in the plane now. I too went to The Boarding School and both Freddie and Travis were great to work with. I have never ran the course before and I ran all 6 multiple times on my last set of the week. My hands hold up but I am very very sore. Get on the water a bit before you go if you can. Keep an open mind and have fun.

• Baller_

Get a pair of Masterline Palm pads. They are better than tape.

Buy sunscreen and use it. All over. And bring a hat.

Buy a flat of water and keep hydrated. But don’t bring junk food to the dock. And for God’s sake don’t leave junk food or candy behind.

Watch where you step or sit. We have ants that you don’t want to get to friendly with.

Bring your driver a coffee. Grande Starbucks bold, half and half and one Splenda.

Lpskier

• Baller

First, GO!

Second, get to where you can ski 8 passes without breathing hard before you leave your home site.

Finally, don't feel like you need to ski 3-4 sets per day. When i go for coaching I alternate 1 and 2 set days. 4 sets per day is counterproductive IMHO. At least stop when you can no longer hold a proper skiing position.

Coaching is the best $$ you can spend on your skiing.

• Baller

We just did Rini's ski school in Mar...which means I wasn't in ski shape. 1 set day one, 2 sets day two...day 3 I wanted to ride a scooter around Disney.

Our ski season doesn't start for a few more weeks, but I would say it was money well spent. My whole family improved a lot in a short amount of time.

I think the hardest part is getting over the idea that you aren't good enough to be there. I took a clinic with @brooks a few years back and that's all I could think was...wow...I am a free skier who just doesn't belong...both Brooks and Rini made me feel the exact opposite by the end of set one. It always amazes me how awesome waterski people are...there is just very little pretense.