D3 Leverage blackout or T-Factor

h2onhk

• Baller

Due for a new binding this season (if summer ever gets here in Ohio). Used a rear lace D3 Leverage for the last several seasons and no complaints. The T-Factors are intriguing due to ease of entry, but other front lace bindings I've owned seemed to fail earlier. The lace eyelets rip out, cords come loose, etc. D3's seem to be built like tanks and I always keep my gear out of direct sunlight. Any feedback from other ballers running a T-Factor and how they hold up? Thanks!

RFF skier, RTP, 34mph, 15-35off

• Administrators

@motoskier as I recall you prefer your 20 years old modified by mother nature and sunlight stiff is crap yellow KD overlays.

@"h2o.nhk" if I was going to switch back to rubber binding the first thing I would try is the blackout.

• Baller
Thanks guys, good feedback. If I would have done a little more homework I would have realized that perfski sells all the overlay replacements as well. T-Factor soon to be coming my way. Maybe it will help me find more than 2 ball at 35.

• Baller
For all the T-factor superfans out there I could never make that binding work for me. Went from a Leverage to the T-factor and after a few weeks of really sad results, back to the Leverage. Night and day difference. Could run buoys with the Leverage, could not run buoys worth a damn with the T-factor. Very simple experiment and consistent result. I believe there is a forward ankle bend that the Leverage forces that the T-factor does not force. I thought the T-factor was comfy but the performance, at least for me, was a disaster.

• Baller
Been using Leverage bindings for years. Was never a fan of lacing it up tight, so when the new Leverage Blackout bindings came out I bought a new front boot to try. ( I'm a rear tow loop fan) Didn't notice a difference, so all is good in my world. Same feel and support.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller
I have just switched from a Leverage to a Tfactor, instant improvement, loving the Tfactor from the get go, my ski seems to be on edge more and the feedback from the ski in the turn is better, the ski seems to turn more positively, I defintely have more width with more space, more comfortable than the leverage, really happy to have made the change.

• Baller
Went to Tfactors this spring (double boot) and love them. 9 1/2 shoe = medium. Nice and snug without even really tightening the laces, plenty of support, but best of all the ski is easy to get off so I know they'll release. Love the front lace entry as SO much easier in and out vs other full wraps or rear laces. As a LFF skier I had a lot of problems with other bindings "twisting" on my front foot. These are great.

• Baller
I'll be happy to provide some feedback when I get them. Ordered several weeks ago from Miami SN only to find out they are back-ordered until late June/Early July. Checked multiple other sites as well. Must be popular, I guess that's a good thing

• Baller_

I began course skiing August 2019. I was given as a gift the Leverage Blackout front binding with a Contour RTP when I started. I'm still only running at 30mph, 15off (had big plans for this year, but I've been out since June 18th due to a concussion.)

From what I can tell from this thread and others is that most people actually don't like the new Leverage Blackout overlays, say that they are too soft and not supportive enough. So now I am intrigued by the T-Factors. Two questions:

1. At my beginner course level, is it actually a good idea to use something that is more forgiving like the Blackouts, even if it's not the most "high performance" driven? Or could that actually encourage bad habits, and better to just get accustomed now to a performance binding from the start?

2. If I do switch to T-Factors, can I just buy the T-Factor overlay and swap it out on my current Leverage Blackout plate/base? Does that become exactly like a T-Factor, super close to a T-Factor, or only sort of like a T-Factor?

• Baller

Revising my earlier 2018 comment on this thread: Been skiing the T-Factor all season and it's the best binding I've ever used hands down. Took 1 pass or so to get used to it from the Leverage and I've skied better this season than ever. Probably has a thing or two to do with technique, I don't know why I had trouble on this binding 2 years ago.

@SlalomSteve I don't know about a T-factor "conversion" using parts like that, I'd just get the whole thing vs. futz with that stuff. Assembling these bindings is a PITA.

• Baller

Switched to T-Factors and they really helped me this year. I run a Large for front foot with a nice tight fit & an XL for rear to allow some heal lift and flex. Love them so far.

I have a 1 year old XL front T-factor for sale if you are interested.

• Baller

@SlalomSteve if you are thinking of changing bindings best to just do it and adapt your skiing to new binding.

If you are looking for a size large T factor I have a nearly new size large one for sale. Will also have a size large rear as well soon once my RTP comes in.

• Baller
Been running double tfactors for 3 years. Absolutely love them. Best rubber bindings on the planet. Have held up very well. Double front laces are easy in and out, far better feel and support than HO's I ran for years prior. I'm a fan for life . Was running them on HO now on Connelly - easy switch. I expect another 2-3 years out of them yet at least.

• Baller
@YoKo yes- I believe an XL will be too big for you. I am a size 11-1/2 US. I started with an XL and had to switch to a large because my foot would slide forward a little. It was also puckering up the rubber on top of the foot because I was pulling the strings so tight to make the XL work.

I tore my achilles in 2012 from not ejecting out of the Leverage with an OTF fall. Looked at all the choices. I prefer rubber with RTP. Chose the T-Factor. Has lasted well, maybe 2 years and it was the rubber tearing. Cords have held up. Feature I like is the bungee laces cords. You can snug it up and still get out. I snug it say medium pressure. Tighten crazy hard you may not get out. Highly recommend.