Connelly Carbon V vs. Radar Senate vs. HO Omni

JeremyJames

Ok guys and gals, first Posting here.

Flirted with a course last season and looking for more time this summer. Been free skiing last five years. Now ski 5 times a week on a 2015 Prostar.

Can't really find good comparisons (against each other) in the 34mph segment with Open water 70% and Course 30% of the time. I'd assume this would qualify a majority of skiers.

I only have reference from a 2013 Theory (my first ski) and now a 2016 Alloy Senate (current ski). I read a lot of changes are happening after 2016 so would love some feedback. I'm 6' and 200lbs and usually ride a 69" ski.

Whats the word?

• Baller

I don't really have a very good answer for you but I want to subscribe to this thread as my nephew is in a very similar position shopping the same 3 skis and I want to see what people say.

FWIW, I have a 2018 senate lithium and am in love with it. I demo'd a CX last year before the OMNI came out. I found it to be SUPER FAST. Maybe too much? Does too fast exist?

Anyway, I love my senate, but I haven't tried an omni or V to know if they are better. Sorry. Even if I did it might not be apples to apples as I still can't hit 34 in the course yet. I do 30 mph and 32 mph.

• Baller
I'm also 6' 1, 200 lbs, and really like the 2017 graphite senate. It's noticeable lighter and, surprisingly, is easier to get up on than my 2015 alloy senate. I think maybe because the tail is more square shaped than rounded, but not sure. My weight was 225 last year, and been down to 195 recently, and it has responded well and has been stable through all of these weights. I previously had the Theory and liked the 2015 Alloy Senate better than the Theory, but this 2017 graphite senate is a noticeable improvement above the 2015 Alloy. The Lithium seemed too expensive so I never tried it. I also do 30 and 32mph, but based on how easy the 32mph was with this ski, I'll hopefully be doing 34mph shortly.

• Baller
I was on a V a few years ago and really liked it. I moved to a top-end ski and it was too much for me. Choosing stability and forgiveness over nimbleness I went to a 2015 Alloy Senate. End of last season I switched to a 2017 Graphite Senate. Yes, all the skis in this class may feel slightly different from each other to people at our skiing level, but IMHO not enough to go out a buy a new ski. I got the Graphite Senate because I was rewarding myself for selling my business and think it is the coolest looking ski in history. I actually did not notice a big difference when switching from the 2015 Alloy Senate to the 2017 Graphite Senate, especially compared to the huge difference I felt moving from a fairly soft binding to the Vapor binding. That change took a number of sets to get accustomed to, but it was a very good change due to the dramatically increased support I feel from the boot. I expect I would really like the Omni if I tried it, too. To skiers at our level I expect these mid-level skis feel very similar and they all work great.

• Baller
I'm 6', 190 and ski on a Carbon V. I really,really like this ski. Amidst all my mistakes, and inconsistency, I can push it very, very hard and it only rewards me, and almost never surprises or punishes. When I'm lazy or lack good technique then it dials back the performance as well. I've been a big fan of Connelly for a long time, so that probably biases my opinion, but still.......

• Baller

Hey @JeremyJames and @escmanaze! Of course we have to recommend our own Connelly Carbon V. But it's not just because we are biased ;) The Carbon V was actually shaped from the Prophecy, which was heralded from the Connelly GT, so the principles are the same as a high end ski, but it's been crafted for intermediate skiers working their way up speeds and rope lengths (aka perfect for 34 mph)

We actually have an article all about the Carbon V. Give it a look and then let us know if you're interested and we can hook you up with one!

https://www.ballofspray.com/home-page/news/2961-accomplish-big-goals-with-less-effort-say-hello-to-the-connelly-carbon-v

• Baller
Do a quick search on here, you'll see this discussed many times by first posters. I was guilty of it too. Everyone is biased to the brand they own. In this segment they are all great. Being new to a course, you probably won't know what you like until you get some time in (I'm in the same boat). See if you can get a good deal on any of the three. If not, then go with your gut, whichever brand you like, or whatever. Any of them will be fun and get you into mid line lengths at 34 mph. I went with a Carbon Omni and it's a blast so far. Just get one and enjoy.

• Baller

I agree with @vtmecheng was in the same situation a few years ago, realistically you don’t know what you don’t know.

Demo if you can.

Beg borrow and steal if you can.

Buy what excites you. Out of the three crossover brands I went with what I thought was best and couldn’t be happier. Any one is likely more ski than I could fully use at 15 off.

@JeremyJames The Carbon V is the way to go, we have put alot of skiers on this ski, from intermediate course skiers, to a Mens 8 who has won National titles in 4 age divisions at 30, 32 and 34 mph. As was stated, it was patterned after the Prophecy and tuned similar to the GT, it is our "Go To" stick for most skiers we work with

• Baller
If I could butt in, I found a smoking deal on a new but several-year old Radar Vice. The ski will be for my nephew who is a teenager transitioning off a single of a set of combo skis. He can deep-start every time on one and is pretty confident crossing the wake. He also has his eye on trying the course. Is the Vice a decent choice under the circumstances?

• Baller
@jjackkrash please don't buy that kid a vice. The vice is the same shape as the Strada, which was Radar's highest end ski. This is not the ski to be purchased for somebody who is "pretty confident crossing the wake". Last year I was running 32 mph passes at 15 off and still found my 2013 vice-c to be too high end for me. I downgraded back to a Senate and that was definitely the right move for my level of skiing. I don't remember perfectly, but it seems to me like the Theory would be a good ski to start with for this kid.