Coaching Help

epnault

• Baller

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some tips. I progressed into 34mph skiing at the end of last season after shortening the rope up at 30mph and then 32mph. This speed seems to work well for me because I am a heavier skier of 200lbs. Anything you would suggest I improve on as I shorten the rope at 34mph? From the video it seems I always wimp out at the wake and don't know why. I tell myself to hold it but I have bad habits from an early boat with a shitty wake.

Current set up

2016 ProStar 6.2L - Zero Off at C1

Radar Vapor Pro Built 69.5

Reflex Front Boot and Hybrid Rear - mounted 1 step back from center/factory

• Baller

Here are a couple of good drills from Seth Stisher that can help with some of the body position stuff.

The pull out drill helps get your body stacked without worrying about the wake:

The Whip drill helps with body alignment and getting moving in the right direction without as much speed so you can get more comfortable with the wake crossing:

There are some articles around including a treatise written by @Than_Bogan on body alignment that have some good thoughts in them as well. I know they are linked somewhere on BOS I just don't know exactly where.

• Baller

@epnault as you are ingraining new skills they need to be repeated regularly. Slowing down some can help also. A 69.5" Vapor will have plenty of support to ski at 32 mph. I skied a 68" Vapor at 230 pounds and used to open up at 32 mph and 22 off.

The reason I mention this is that I think that shortening the rope at slower speeds helps build good body position fundamentals. I would mix in some sets running say 32 mph and trying to run 22 off, 28 off then even 32 off if you can get there. You could even try 30 mph. Then go back to 34 mph so you don't lose the sense for the speed. The body position required to run 28 off at 30 or 32 mph is better than running 15 off at 34 mph and translates as you speed up. We did this with my son when he was moving to 36 mph. He spent some time at 32 and 34 mph running down the line and when he went back to 36 mph that translated.

• Baller

I don't think your wake crossing were that bad. Have seen a lot worse from skiers still struggling to run 34-15. I did notice your grabbing the handle way too quick on your onside turns 2-4-6 and not finishing the turn before you hook up. You actually turn better on your offside. The other things I noticed is a couple of shoulder dips where

you started your turn with your shoulders/head, especially on onside. The last was your

pull out for gate, it seems you can get wider and try to keep slack out. Your doing good,

just takes time and a lot of sets.

• Baller

Not sure about your boot settings. Is stock not working for you? 1 step back is not really a measurement.

At 15 off when you turn in you should be at least 12-15 feet wide of the 2/4/6 buoy line. This will help keep your speed up and allow you to swing up on the boat instead of fighting behind the boat the whole time.

Learning stack outside the course will help as well as previously stated.