New Boat/First Boat!

aspski

• Baller

Well I officially bought my first boat over the weekend! 2001 Sunsetter LXI in great shape with the 325 Monsoon. I can't wait to get this boat out on the water!

Any tips on tools to have on board with me if it needs any quick fixes? Also how long do you guys run the blower on these? I'm hoping to have this boat for a long time. Only addition I see myself doing is perfect pass in the near future.

32875762_168507130661599_821149438062048

• Baller

I think it depends on the type of boating you do. Are you out on the lake or river where if you break down your miles from the ramp or at a private or small lake where its not very critical. Most people recommend keeping a spare impeller and the tools to change. I have a very small tool box with a few basic tools. But I use my boat on a private lake so if I break down its not the end of the world.

I think the blower usually is supposed to run for 3-5 min. I personally never use mine. I leave my engine hatch open in the garage so any vapors don't sit in the compartment.

Enjoy. Happy boating!

• Baller_

@aspski : There are several posts to your question on the Malibu Crew forum, actually any of the manufacturer forums have the same Q & A. Many articles in various publications on operating tips from various experts to supplement the forum 'experts'.

Before you launch your new boat, I would suggest a thorough review and familiarization of the boat and operating criteria so you don't get in trouble out on the water where the risk of much higher. On the water events seem to result in a high degree of panic leading to doing exactly the wrong or worst course of action.

• Baller

Nice boat with a very versatile wake. You guys will enjoy it. I always run my blower for 3-5min before starting and anytime we are idling for long periods of time. As far as tools, the basics will do.

- 5 in 1 screwdriver (take the bit out and it fits right over hose clamp heads)

- small crescent wrench

- Leatherman multi-tool

- a few zip ties

- electrical tape

- ibuprofen for that occasional OTF

• Baller
Always good practice to change your impeller on a regular basis to avoid possible damage to your engine, you will also not have to carry tools for that particular job, first thing I would do right now, it is not a difficult job, if you here the sound of your engine change, it can be a sign your impeller is on the way out, just not worth waiting for it to pack up.

• Baller_

Congratulations.

I keep a cheap socket set that also includes a driver/adapter/screw bits. Duct tape is also handy for coolant hose repair.

Pliers (including needle nose to remove impeller and impeller bits).

Crescent wrench.

Spare impeller.

Spare belt.

If you are launching the boat essentially immediately after trailering it, there has already been some air flow through the boat to reduce the vapors. I usually start the blower when I disconnect the winch before backing in and let it run until the boat is in the water and started. The 3-5 minute duration is a good guideline, too.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I have a 2002 Response which basically has the same engine. It is probably a good idea to keep an impeller in the boat and two flathead screwdrivers as that is the easiest way to pull the old impeller. Frankly I don't have much in my boat but I live on the lake that we ski on and it isn't that big.

Regarding the blower these boats are all Fuel Injected so the blower likely isn't that important. That said I generally run mine for 2-3 minutes and a little longer if I have just put gas in the boat.

Congratulations that is a great boat and will lead to tons of fun for you and your family.

• Baller
I forgot to add that we added PerfectPass to my boat (to be fair mostly @rayn did it) and it wasn't a terrible job. I started out with Classic and upgraded to Stargazer due to a failed computer that had to be replaced. I have contemplated adding ZBox but haven't done it yet.

• Baller

i have the same boat and it skis amazing!

My suggestions is to learn how to maneuver at slow speeds - i find that bumping it in and out of gear helps around the dock and even when turning to get the rope to a skier.

Different trailer, but I had a very hard time getting mine off the trailer until a friend gave me this bunk spray - it helps a ton. Don't unhook the bow eye until you are in the water and ready to launch the boat. You will find there is a sweet spot for launching and retrieving the boat - usually a certain amount of fender in the water.

At the very least change the oil and impeller if you don't know the history.

one more thing, if you have the stainless prop that some of these came with, get rid of it and get an ACME 515 or 525. The stainless props were known to be defective