Ankle injury

NickD

Sprained my ankle pretty bad last fall and Was laid up a decent part of the winter. Now that the weather is nice I've been skiing again and hoping to jump this weekend. Does anyone wear an ankle brace/sleeve while skiing and have any recommendations? I'm mostly concerned with wearing a brace jumping and being able to eject properly if the need arises. I recently switched to an edge binding with an RTP for slaom but would like to wear a brace/sleeve for Both. Any insight/ past experience is much appreciated!

• Baller
If you rehabbed, it should be good. A brace won’t weaken it as long as you only wear it for your athletic pursuits. That being said, I wouldn’t wear a brace skiing. Get it taped if you’re really worried about it.

• Baller
Agree with @6balls. I fractured mine last fall skiing. Doc told me this spring that it's strong so just ski. If you want some support then do it, even if just to make you feel better mentally. I'm not a doc, so I have no clue what I'm talking about.

After many years of tweaking and at least one stress-fracture, doctors say it's fusion time. Did anyone have a fusion of talus and calcaneus (with screws and all) and continued skiing? Getting old sucks but we can't just give up, can we?

@vtmecheng, so far I have two opinions, both indicate fusion as the only durable solution. There are people experimenting with stem-cell cartilage regeneration, but too early to tell.@liquid d, they told me I would have to "learn to walk" after the fusion and I don't like the sound of that...they also claim that fwd-aft flexibility should be maintained.

• Baller

Ankle bracing is tough for sports with bindings or fitted boots, downhill skiing, hockey, water skiing. Jump even worse since you'll expect the foot to release and getting to and out of a jump binder with something on is going to be tough.

Try the bioskin Tri-lok ankle with your hardshell.

• Baller
I've had screws put in between the talus and calcaneus. I was lucky that it was towards the end of the season. I did all the rehab aggressively. I was skiing by the beginning of the next season. Took longer to get up to normal ski form than usual, but I got there. The ankle was a little sore for about 1 year or more.

I broke my ankle skiing years ago in the late fall. The tip of the ski caught a high floating ball. Front foot took the hit. At the time I was skiing Wiley's double rubber boots. In the spring I switched to a hard shell and that gave me some support and confidence. My ankle took close to a year to completely heal. Hardshell kept me on the the water, and I never went back to the Wileys.

• Baller
I'm having surgery in the fall to fuse my metatarsal to tarsal. I've tried to avoid it for a few years now but it's going to impact cartilage in other joints soon so it's time. Not looking forward to it but I should be able to ski the next year.

• Baller

@emac - "nessuno sai futuro" as famous italian singer sings.

We do not know what happens next minute.

Last early spring I hit a pretty big log which absent-minded beaver forgot in the middle of the river. I was in HO Hardshel and only this saved my leg from serioius consequenses.

If I were in my Animal all would be not that nice.

Two months later in the same binding had another stupid crush and broke leg. Before I had that type of crush in the Animal and was out of binding as easy as a fly.

There is no universal solution...

• Baller

Broke my Tibia this past winter...thought it would be the knee that was an issue skiing. Turns out it is the ankle. Don't know if it is just not used to skiing or if I did something.

Last few times out I used a compression sleeve brace with some velcro straps. Felt decent while skiing.