Shipping Boat with or without cover

PatM

• Baller

Hey Ballers I just purchased one of the few 2018 200s out there. Now I am having it shipped from central Florida to just over the Massachusetts boarder. It comes with the Nautique cover which I am informed is a trailerable cover. My question is for those who have shipped or have trailered considerable distances with there boat do I

a) Ship with the cover on?

b) Have the boat shrink wrapped for travel?

c) Ship without a cover and deal with the cleanup after?

d) Look into a possible shipping cover from the dealer?

Or some other thoughts on what I should do.

• Baller

How is it being transported? In both of my used boat purchases I trailered the boats back myself (6+ hours) with a standard cover - no issues.

If the cover is a commercial sewing cover with the ratchet mechanism in back they seal up quite nicely.

• Baller

Does Nautique use some type of shipping cover that is used from the factory to the dealer? I would see if that could be used. It protects the boat and saves the factory cover.

Alternatively, could it be shrink wrapped?

• Baller
The boats come from the factory with a transit cover. They are really nice covers made of heavy shrink wrap with felt on the inside, sewed to the correct shape. (OI think they are made by Commercial Sewing, who makes the boat covers). They wrap all the way under the boats , have ropes that secure them underneath and a drawstring that connects to the platform brackets in the back. I always remove mine very carefully and give to the purchaser at the end of the year (or put it on if the boat gets shipped). It is really important to wash the covers before removing and store in a giant trash bag to keep clean, then make sure the boat is absolutely clean before putting back on for shipment so there is no abrasion. Too bad you aren't close to me or you could have an extra that I have. If the dealer was careful when removing, it should be as good as new. I would ask him if he kept it. (some may just cut them off and throw away)

• Baller
Nautique uses a shrinkwrap to deliver to dealers and the same can be done by your dealer (minus the Nautique logo on it). They're shrink wrapped without any poles and done to the water line. Sometimes they don't have a vent for transport so if that's how your dealer does it, make sure you remove the cover as soon as you get it.

• Baller
My advice from experience, don't use a standard fabric cover for shipping. I had a standard cover on mine while it was being relocated, and unfortunately it came loose. By the time the transporter driver noticed it, the flapping cover had trashed my gelcoat. Cost $s to repair and I can still see marks.................... Heartbreaking. Go the wrap.