17' Prostar Fuel gauge sticking

Jaypro

• Baller
Has anyone had a issue with their fuel gauge sticking? The gauge showed almost a 1/2 tank but I ran out of gas. After my buddy put 5 gallons in it, it appears to be registering properly. Any suggestions on what might be happening? I don't have a mastercraft dealer within 3 hours so I hoping for an easy solution!

• Baller
There's a thread on this somewhere here. I remember something about ethanol fuel being one possible culprit? I believe there was a consensus of those of us just using 100% gasoline have not experienced a problem. Others had their units replaced.

• Baller
The gas gauges in the ProStars aren't the most accurate. Anytime mine gets below a half a tank I fill it to be on the safe side. The dealer also told me when filling the tank shut the battery switch off and the gauge should reset if it wasn't working properly.

• Administrators
Almost everything on the ProStar has a five year warranty. I'm not sure if the gas gauge is included in that but you should just contact your dealer directly.

• Baller

If you watch the gauge when turning on the ignition you'll see the gauge swing to full extremes then settle at a value. That would suggest to me that it recalibrates each time you turn the ignition on. But we do always have ignition off when filling up. The battery is generally on when filling up, I wonder if there is any value to turning off during fill up also?

Just now having our 1st fuel gauge issue, I also sent Joel an email. We'll see what his suggestions are. Our issue is now after 2 fill ups it doesn't read full. 1st time only went to a little more than 3/4, 2nd only going to about 5/8. At almost empty we filled up with 18 gallons, I can't remember what fuel capacity is......anyone know?

• Baller
There are a host of EPA and Coast Guard rules on marine gas tanks (and probably marine industry standards) that make fuel gauge accuracy very difficult to achieve. It's not a simple thing like it used to be. I've been told that gas tanks must be opaque. That likely prevents a visual check of fuel level.

• Baller
I had a similar issue in my 16. The gauge would read correctly down to about a quarter tank, then jump to and stay at full. They re-designed the pickup in 17 and I got one of the first new ones. No issues since and I can run it down until it touches empty now if I want to. The swap was covered under warranty of course :)