Shoulder dislocation

chris55

• Baller
I had a bad fall and I dislocated my left shoulder. I did put it back in place but the doctor told me no more skiing for 3 month after watching an MRI. Did some of you had that injurie and how long did you take before skiing again and has any fear for the shoulder to dislocate again......anyway....my season is over and now I have time to watch all the tournaments on website.

• Baller
I dislocated both of my shoulders a number of times between my late teens to early 30s. I think your age and the severity will determine recovery period. For me, any way, it was a week to maybe 6 weeks. 3 months sounds pretty conservative, but I've found that even small injuries take way more recovery time now that I'm 50! Your body will tell you when ready!

Yea did mine a few times and managed to put back until the last time had to go to hospital .1 time I had 6 weeks doc said go back to work and hey if u can work u can ski did it again next day it takes a while to get it right and doc said the older u get the stiffer u get so it might not be as bad and it's been 20 yrs now thank goodness it's a terrible feeling.

• Baller

@chris55

Bummer man... :(

Missed half season in 16 when i ruptured my Achilles.

Sitting on the sideline is no fun but take time to fully heal.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

I dislocated my right shoulder a few years ago. I was in my early 30s. There are so many variables, tha its impossible for any of us to say you will be able to ski on XX date. It was about 3 months when I took my first ski ride and about 4-5 before I slalomed and started running hte course again.

dont rush it, but you need to focus on rehab! aggressive physio will get you back to where you need to be and back on the water.

• Baller

My wife had. Doctor said that she must be careful with loading shoulder minimum within 6 months. Or better one year. Otherwise in case of secondary dislocation she may get so called "habitual dislocation". And to fix it surgery will be needed.

Shoulder Rotator very is a very complicated joint therefore it needs more care than others.

Added.

@chris55 Im 3 yrs "younger" than you. And strangely my rehab periods are mush shorter comparing to when I was 35-40. Think this is your case as well. Probably within years body learns how to repair itself faster'n'better ))

Good luck!

• Baller

Sorry to hear @chris55. I did mine right shoulder back in September ‘16. Didn’t ski again until the following spring. It was painful as we had a very mild fall that year and my ski partners pushed it for well over a month. Saw (3) docs, all agreed on conservative treatment (no surgery). I have a small labrum tear and a partial rotator cuff tear.

Lots of PT and daily shoulder exercises. I also wear a stabilizer brace when I ski, probably more for piece of mind but it doesn’t seem to restrict me. Lots of “bro” and “mansier” comments on the dock, but I’m back to where I left off or better. Definitely gets sore at times, but I’m pretty happy that the pain is manageable and functionally it seems decent. Good luck with recovery!

• Baller

@Bdecker thank's for your comment and I started today the physio and I will keep doing it until my shoulder is strong again. I beleive I might be able to ski again mid september but no rush. I really like the brace you are wearing and I have to see if we have that here in Switzerland but for safety mind, I like it a lot....

Anyways thank's to all of you, it helps to be patient and knowing it will be fine reading others experiences.

Whishing you a super summer ski :)

I've dislocated my left 4 times now. And would highly recommend being diligent with the physio to make sure it's good and strong after the first time. Mine subluxes (comes partially out of the socket) quite often, and now have a torn labrum. With consistent physio I think you could be back by September for sure though! Best of luck in your recovery!

• Baller
I did mine 17-years ago and it has been sloppy ever since and back then Dr shot it up with cortisone and said see me when it just gets too bad to do stuff. Went 2-years ago and said ready to do something, and he said, not much we can do now except replacement. He then said if we do that, skiing is done. Whenever you do this kind of injury, its like stretching a 6-pack plastic ring, it won't go back, and it will always be sloppy. Couple that with more wear and tear, and I can't even put my hand behind my back now. Should have had surgery to fix 17-years ago.... Now I got a jenky weak down shoulder on my offside lean and it stinks...

• Baller
Sorry to hear that @A_B , mine doesn't look as bad. After 3 times physio, I can already put my arm on my back and put my left hand and touch my spine. I am lucky physician and surgerery improved so much these last years. MRI and such.....

• Baller
I have considered the Stem Cell thing. Local Ortho friend keeps telling me that if it really worked he’d be first in line. If it truly worked the cost would be a non-issue, it’s just a big bet to place on something that may not produce results. Unfortunately, with the shoulder, surgical success can be limited as well from what I have heard.