Order of progression

FSSPCat

• Baller

Okay,

So, I was able to hit 6 balls (no gate) for the first time @15 off, 30MPH. My question now is what order of progression would you work in? I’m not a competition skier, and don’t plan to be.

What order do you change the variables now? Should I work on the gate first? Do I shorten the line? Do I increase the speed? Keeping in mind that this is all for fun, but I’m a competitive type-A who likes to have data and objective measurements. :D

• Baller

@FSSPCat I've personally done a mix of speed up and shorten.

First work on 15 off at 30mph until you've got it dialed in.

Then open with 15 off at 30mph for 2/3 of your set and focus on form. For the end of your set challenge yourself either with speeding up or shortening.

Speeding up helps develop timing

Shortening helps focus on technical aspects

• Baller

Add the gate in. After that I would say you could either shorten the rope or raise the speed. I would say eventually you should raise the speed to the max speed for your age then shorten the rope.

As you learn mixing it up can be fun. Most important is to keep it fun.

• Baller

Awesome, congrats on your new full blown addiction!

I’d agree with @Chef23. Speed it up. You have to try passes or speeds that you can’t make until you can. More than all that though, go get coaching. As much as you can for as long as you can.

• Baller
I would add the gates next. As the speed increases and rope shortens you'll be glad you have a handle on the timing factor of the gates. As I'm really learning now at 28 off, a good gate and one ball are imperative to running the pass. I don't think I ever shortened the line before I got to my max speed but to each their own.