Proper time to pull out before glide?

Tdub

I realize it is dependent on many factors but is there a general rule when to pull out to begin the glide? Let's just use one line length and speed, say 15 off at 32mph. I seem to be getting dragged back towards the gates which of course makes me narrow to the gates. Any thoughts?

• Baller
If you’re getting dragged back into the wakes before your turn in then I’d say you need to initiate the pull out later. And the proper place to start the movement will vary by skier, since we all have different gates and different pull efficiencies. To try to answer your question, though, I open at 34 mph, 22 off and pull out on that pass just before the boat reaches the pre-gates. On my 36 mph passes I pull out probably when the boat is about a boat length or half of a boat length ahead of the pre-gates, so if I were skiing at 32 mph, 15 off my first attempt I would probably pull out no sooner than when the windshield is passing through the pre-gates. But this is just a guess and also is impacted by how efficiently I’m able to get wide and how wide I get on my gates.

• Baller

Are you countering to the boat in the glide? I push my right hip forward and keep my chest pointed right down the skier buoy line and stand tall on the ski.

I like to tell new skiers to start when the boat is about 5-10 foot away from the pre-gates, and then vary the pullout intensity until you find what works best for you. Take one variable out of the equation by using fixed measure of the pre-gates. Then be in the same spot next to the wakes each time.

Gates are really an art, but you can do some things to make it more scientific and repeatable.

• Administrators

video....

@tdub I coach gates a lot lately. There is no one formula for everyone but you for sure need to be as wide as possible at turn in.

Something a lot of skiers do wrong is to pull out of their back foot and then try to glide on their back foot. You really need to be centered.

A lot of skiers also pull out wide and then roll off edge abruptly. This makes consistency really hard. You want to roll off of your outbound edge softly ending in a glide.

• Baller

2-3 boat lengths before the pregates seems pretty standard for many pros (@ 34 and 36 MPH). Starting at that point, you should be passing the boats platform around the time you reach the pregates. If you find yourself drifting in before it's time to go for the gates, try to pull out further or with more intensity. However, at 32 mph it's going to take more time to reach the gates and you have more time to drift in regardless of your pull out, so maybe 1-2 boat lengths before the pregates would be advisable:

Here's a good reference video:

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/18834/gut-gate-video-walkthrough

• Baller
@Tdub boat lengths before the pre gates can be hard to judge an somewhat inconsistent. What works for me is as follows: pick a spot to ride prior to pull out. For me it's the middle of the white water. Then when the boat blocks the view of the right side green buoy, pullout. This is a very positive, repeatable action. That won't work for everyone, obviously, but give it a try.