2018 D3 EVO Review

Horton

• Administrators

EVO

Introduction

D3’s design methodology is to evolve proven designs into new skis rather than attempt to develop new designs from scratch. The 2018 D3 EVO is a blend of the best attributes of the D3 ARC and the D3 NRG.

For this review I rode the 66 and 67 inch EVO. At approximately 180 pounds, I found specific attributes that I preferred on each ski but eventually found the smaller 66 inch version to be superior for my hardest passes.

General feel

The EVO is arguably a faster ski than any previous D3. In this case, the speed is most noticeable from the second wake to the ball. The ski makes speed into the wakes and then does not bleed speed approaching the ball.

After a mistake at any line length, the EVO is easy to repoint in the right direction and scrap for additional balls.

Toe Side (Off Side) Turn

Off Side turns have been the hallmark attribute of D3 slalom skis for years. The Off Side turns on the EVO are the best yet. The ski is stable as it flows out to width and then the nose of the ski automatically pulls back under the line at apex. Then the ski grabs just a little extra angle at the very end of the turn. The Off Side turns are the best thing about the EVO.

At my hardest pass my Off Side pre turns and turns on the 67 are among the smoothest of my career. The balance of the ski makes it easy for the skier to be centered and calm approaching apex. The ski draws a decreasing radius arc out to apex and then finishes with massive angle and an unexpected measure of aplomb.

Off side turns on the 66 are not quite as flowing but is still smooth and consistent.

EVO2

Heel Side (On Side) Turn

On Side turns on the EVO are unlike any D3 before it. With skis like the NRG and the ARC, the skier must manage rope tension and weight distribution carefully to ensure consistent On Side turns. With the EVO, the On Side turns are more automatic and less technically demanding.

The above comments about On Side turns are largely reflective of the 66 inch ski. At my hardest passes the 67 inch ski is too fast approaching the apex of On Side making those turns less consistent. Skiers working at 32 off or longer may find the 67 ski to be suitable and skiers skiing at shorter lines may prefer the 66 ski.

Second Wake to the Ball

Both the 66 and the 67 inch versions cast out wide of the ball without issue. Both skis require only a moderate amount of strength and technical skill from the skier to achieve width.

The 66 inch version has a more tactile feel flowing out to On Side and the 67 is ridiculously stable and easy to ride approaching Off Side.

From the Ball to the Second Wake

Regardless of size the EVO, creates ample speed and angle into the wakes. The 66 is slightly more nimble; therefore, more forgiving after a mistake.

EVO3

Quirks

The EVO is surprisingly insensitive to fin and bindings settings. It is still important to have the correct settings but during the review period I moved the fin and bindings often with less impact than expected.

Conclusion

At my weight and height the 66 inch EVO is a ski that I can ski smoothly on or scrap for one more ball at my hardest pass. The 67 inch EVO delivers remarkable Off Side turns but is just a touch too fast into On Side.

The 66 Inch D3 EVO is now one of my all-time favorite skis.

• Baller

I'm currently doing a demo of the Evo. Same weight, same speed, less skill, and I have the 67". I generally like the ski. It turns well yet can be "re-pointed" (love that term) and it can scrap without penalty which is an attribute I need in any ski I buy. Before I drop the dough to buy the 67", are you saying there is an incurable, non-tunable design quirk at least mildly affecting the onside turns on this ski past -32?

I'm asking because I can't complete 32 yet (on any ski) but it's a current goal.

• Administrators
@jhughes I am not saying it is a flaw at all. Given the chance to ride both I found the 66 to be better overall. If I was 10 or 15 pounds heavier I would likely prefer the 67.