Slalom course SE WI

Jetsetr

• Baller

Purchasing a EZ-Slalom soon...will be a temporary site (in/out daily) on Lily Lake in Western Kenosha County.

This is a 85 acre spring fed lake with very light use during the week. Not planning on any weekend or holiday setup due to too much other boat traffic.

Course will be open to anyone who wants to ski it. My Brendella is getting a 3 event PP ASAP and we also have a MC Stars and Stripes available as well (no PP but just cool to ski behind).

My work sked is pretty unpredictable, I would like to have the course in the water at lease a few times during the week.

There is a Resort with bar/food/lodging available on the lake (owner of the resort owns the MC and skis as well).

Very nice public launch also on the lake.

I don’t think there are any other public courses in the area, but I could be wrong...

Would like to coordinate with others for optimum usage if anyone in the area is interested...

Let’s have some fun and get others involved with this sport in a no pressure environment. I also have training skis, youth skis and adult HO Combos available too.

Let me know...

Thanks

Dave

FYI- no permit issues with the DNR (temporary course, CO was helpful as well) and I did a presentation to the Town Board this past week. They were glad I let them know what I was planning on doing and were supportive.

• Baller

Grew up as a kid in SE Wisc, had a Slalom Course and a Jump in Paddock Lake, just down HWY 50 from Kenosha. Use to do a lot of Drag Racing in Kenosha and Union Grove. Great memories. Just Love that area. So glad your doing that. Good Luck !!!!!

PS: The Jet you see in my Avatar above, I finished building in a Hangar at the Kenosha Airport and flew it for the first time there, before flying it on the Airshow Circuit starting at Oshkosh, Wisc. Wish you had the course in back then.

• Baller

Thanks Ed...as a novice (at best) course skier it’s a great way to get into a course without too much embarrassment...will probably never ski tournaments, but being a Type A I like to push myself personally.

• Baller
I grew up on Silver Lake just down the road. We serviced lots of boats on Lilly Lake, there were times where you couldn't go more than a few hundred yards before having to stop and clear weeds! I guess they have a weed cutter these days! Nice little lake! Have fun but be prepared when the locals see bouys and folks having fun they tend to go loco!

• Baller

Jetsetr,

Once you pull that course in and out for a few months and decide you want to get a permanent solution in place let me know. We just got a course permit over on the west side of the state and I now know all the regulatory hoops you have to jump through to get the state to approve you. Its always great to hear of more courses going in public water. I believe there are only two permitted courses on public water in the entire state.

@WIRiverRat - what hoops, specifically, does the state make you jump through? I'm in the process of applying for a permanent course in Northern WI, currently working on getting the required riparian landowner signatures. The warden I've spoken to hasn't given me any indication that will be the case (Although I know better and still suspect it will take forever for DNR review and approval). There are two other permanent courses setup on the chain we're on.

• Baller

You need to get a Waterway Marker Application and Permit approved through the DNR. Be aware this permit is about $900 to apply for and is non refundable if they deny the permit (our local DNR worked with us closely before they made us pay to make sure it would likely be approved).

As part of that application you need approval from all riparian land owners (note the permit can only be issued to the riparian owner so if that is not you then you will need one of those land owners to agree to hold the permit for you)

You will need to write a narrative of the course, provide maps of the proposed location of all buoys, depth maps of buoy locations, and drawings of the structure underwater.

I have all of this documentation made up so PM me if you want me to send it over so you have a template to work from. It was a 9 month process to get the permit but I think that would be cut down drastically now that we know how to do it (the DNR didn't even know the process when we began).

• Baller

Unfortunately Lily is a pretty small lake, don’t really see the chance of getting a permanent course. I want to be a “good neighbor” and even though it takes a bit of time, we will remove the course daily. No issues with weeds, they do chemical treatment. Water is very clear even with the water temps in the 80’s. They dredged the lake several years ago. Also, due to my work sked some weeks we won’t even be skiing it. I expect some people’s heads to blow off at the sight of buoys...that’s why I contacted the DNR and town board before I did anything.

However we know about 1/2 the people that live on the lake so that will help. Also there are still a LOT of “weekender” folks that won’t even know the course was there during the weekdays.

Thanks for the info - thats about what i was expecting, minus the $900 fee and 9 month approval time. The warden I've spoke with that approves the courses in our area made it seem like the DNR approval process was around 1-2 months... I've pretty much written it off for this year though, so as long as it's approved by next May I don't really care, I guess.

The local DNR is definitely clueless regarding their own policies for a course. We've had a few dock visits from other wardens this year and have been told 1) the course isn't even allowed to be in on a temporary/ daily basis without a permit and they were doing us a favor by allowing it (not true). And 2) if the course is in the water, that someone needs to be monitoring the buoys at all times (also not true, and ridiculous if you think about it).

• Baller

Luckily it is not the warden who issues the permit. It is good to have them on your side though as we did have a meeting with them to discuss the course and any safety issues. At least down here they were reasonable to work with.

Here is the DNR website with all the information and forms: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/boat/slalomBuoys.html

If you need to prove to your local warden that a temprorary slalom course (removed at end of day) does not require a permit here is the DNR website that says that.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Waterways/recreation/water_ski.html

• Baller
I used to have a letter on my old computer from Tommy Thompson's office stating that temporary courses pulled each night were perfectly legal. Never actually had to use that and not sure it'd hold any weight these days anyways, but good ol Governor Get-a-job was a supporter! :)

• Members
I've never skied a course but would love to try sometime! My weekday schedule can be flexible. I'm on the west side of Milwaukee and a '92 ProStar 190 I could bring with me--though it does not have speed control.

Hello - following up on this thread. Did this ever happen? I now live in Lake Geneva and still ski in IL, but looking to get involved however I can to help and ski in the area. Looking for other course around that we can help with and ski with in return for the same. Cheers!

• Baller
Yes, has happened several times...as of right NOW the lake is no wake due to high water. Takes about 40 minutes to set the course (with enough help, and unfortunately I don’t do it enough to really get the time down) it’s quick (20 minutes) to pull it out.