A key hint for CG Fin setup

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of the CG fin, and I might even claim about 0.001% of the credit for the design...

But last fall Denali was still inventing it, and so I've really only recently gotten around to working seriously on tuning it up for me personally. Today I found some settings that I especially loved. Yes, I will share them next, but keep in mind technically I'm using a prototype that isn't quite identical to the CG Fin.

My new favorite settings: 0.75, 6.83, 2.53, 9 deg S-wing. These are a little sluggish at -28, but MAN do they come alive at -35 and -38.

One of the big take-homes during my exploration, including a wide range of settings I was guinea-pigging last fall, is that you should not be afraid of having a "huge" fin! In fact, you may need one. The only region of my exploration that wasn't very successful was when the fin was relatively small. When this is combined with the diagonal-cut holes, the on-side can slide around much too easily.

In general, I would say that huge fins works great on the off-side, and part of the magic of the CG Fin is that it makes those settings also work on the on-side.

I've run lengths as big as 7.13, and today was the deepest I've gone at 2.53. I may try even deeper.

@AdamCord told me today that some folks have liked depths of 2.56! So don't be afraid to try it. And make sure you don't judge it until you get to your hardest passes; it could feel a little draggy on your opener but then amazing on your reach pass.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan What have you found around binding placement? I found that moving the bindings resulted in the need to move the fin as well and I seem to end up with settings in a different direction. For me with bindings forward long/shallow seemed to be better and bindings back short / deep. This has been the result in both the C 65 and vapor that I have been using the cg fin on. I would have expected the opposite.

The first thing I noticed was the on side being a little 'looser' or maybe slides around too easily for me Off side feels pretty good and can feel the difference. I've gotten a little more used to the on side but sounds like maybe I should try a little bigger fin? What adjustment to help get there? I'm on a lithium senate with the fin set to about the stock numbers .