Perfect Pass lock

Keith_Menard

• Baller

Mine locks within a couple of seconds- do you have the receiver (puck) on the dash or underneath? If under- then it may be worth trying it on top. If you already have the receiver above dash then I would call PP.

Side note: I have a buddy whose old boat will not run perfect pass at idle (because of low voltage) but as soon as you start pulling a skier the display comes on (from alternator RPM/voltage increase) and his locks GPS before we get up to speed every time.

• Baller

@Tom351 he needs to repair his viltage regulator. Or an overdrive pulley is great on boats that need more juice from an idle but test goood revved.

Another thing would be run the power off a separate switch such that you dont always power cycle between passes. Will reduce waiting

• Baller
@"Keith Menard" did you ever sort this? On my v9.12 system, I'm consistently seeing 30+ second lock times on restart. Swapped pucks and same issue. Removed zBox and same issue. There's a little rechargeable battery inside the puck that's supposed to remember where it is in the world when it's turned off for a short while. Seems like they won't charge on my system.

• Baller
I didn't know about the rechargeable battery. I had just reinstalled my battery after winter storage so there is a good chance that feature was dead. I'll have a look again this weekend now that the system has had power for awhile.

• Baller
@Windsurfnut the rechargeable battery in the puck is only charged when the PP system is energized. That's usually why the first start of the day takes a while to lock, but subsequent locks are supposed to be near instant.

• Baller

@Windsurfnut its not much of a battery - it keeps the clock times accurate.

From a dead cold condition the puck has no knowledge of where its at - Garmin specs 45 seconds to lock.

From a "warm" condition where the puck has been powered up Garmin lists 38 seconds.

Once you're up and running should be <1 second.

• Baller
@VONMAN -I've experienced the same thing from the start of the season (aka the last 3 weeks). Puck is also on top of the dash - in front of the window. Nothing has changed of any substance. I'm going to call PP today, seems a common thread right now across too many people to be a coincidence.

• Baller_
I saw the same thing with my ZO (old dual pucks) a couple of weeks ago. Took a while to get the lock when I de-winterized. I wonder if something changed with the satellites that the old antenna doesn't like (i.e., has to spend more time negotiating for a signal).

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

You other guys with issues, try this. Press Menu and Up, then press Menu until Diagnostics is highlighted. Press up arrow. Press Menu to System Logs. Press up arrow.

How many "GPS Errors" do you see? Make note of that, then check again after a few days of use. Shouldn't be seeing any.

• Baller

Supposedly there was an update to GPS satellites. The guys at PP are telling me that every GPS puck sold in the past few years requires at least 15 minutes of continuous use to download some "almanac updates" or something to that effect. This is per Garmin. PP's testing indicates this may not be a sufficient amount of time. However, the puck I sent back to them after being powered on for 20 mins straight seems to be locking in immediately... Mystery continues. I'm surprised the ZO guys aren't seeing this same problem.

Will update if PP gets to the bottom of this as I know others are affected.

• Baller_

@UWSkier, read my post from May 3 in this thread.

Since the club boat arrived, I haven't had my boat out for a couple of weeks. So, I don't know if there is still an issue.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Seems like the information that @UWSkier got from perfect pass was accurate. For the first time ever took my boat out from hibernation and had no GPS lock. Seems like that lasted for 20 minutes over a couple of different times out. Once it locked back to normal behavior. Locked as soon as the system is turned on.

• Baller
Just had the Wake edition S installed on my Sunsetter last week. It never took more than 15 seconds for it to lock this past weekend. I wonder if your geographical location has anything to do with the lock time?

• Baller

FYI...Hot off the press from Perfect Pass:

May 2019

Re: Garmin GPS Units Slower to Lock

It became apparent in April of this year that the Garmin 5 Hz GPS units in circulation are taking longer to “lock” after being powered up than in previous years.

Initial delay to lock on a new boating day will take one or two minutes, but after key off & back on they normally take up to 38 seconds.

In previous years, you may have noticed that after a brief key off the GPS would lock faster than the current time of 38 seconds +/-.

Garmin has advised us that the satellite system changes require new “Almanac Data” updates to allow for faster starts and this updating is not happening automatically on older versions.

For most PerfectPass customers, a start time of 38 seconds or less is more than adequate and is not an issue that would affect their use of the product. For any customer that performs a lot of key offs in-between passes or sets and finds the re-lock time of 38 seconds +/- too slow there is a solution.

Garmin has recently produced a new V4.2 software version which PerfectPass has acquired which solves this issue and has other enhancements as well. Your GPS Puck can be updated to this version which will increase the Lock Speed.

The Puck can be mailed to PerfectPass for this update now or at the end of the season. The update cost is free, only return mailing charges will apply.

To Return for Updating:

> Send by US Post only to address below ideally in a padded / bubble envelope.

> For customs purposes at the post office, state the contents on the form they provide as “GPS Unit returning for Repair. Value $25”

> Include your full name, address & phone # and a copy of this letter.

> Include a check payable to PerfectPass for $10 to cover return shipping & handling. (US Post) If not, we will call you for CC #.

NOTE: No UPS Ground or Fed Ex Ground will be accepted due to additional customs fees. Fed Ex Express or UPS Express is OK.

MAIL TO:

PerfectPass Control Systems Inc.

14 Trider Cres.

Dartmouth, NS

CANADA B3B 1R6

• Baller
Just updating this and closing out my slow lock issue. The puck I received from PP this week with the updated firmware locks in immediately on key on after the first lock of the day. Very happy to have it back to normal.

• Baller

I just experienced this slow lock issue last week. Thought it was a fluke, but noted the lock took 30 seconds plus after each key off to switch skiers. It really confused the stargazer system - had issues holding speed even once it did lock sometimes.

I’ll have to send in the puck. Thanks for sharing the success story.

• Baller
I had some issues earlier in the year where it would take upwards of 40 seconds and a few minutes at first start of the day, but for the most part seems to lock much quicker this last week, almost instantaneous when we're already skiing and stop at the end of the lake. I've made no changes to my system either.

• Baller
that's interesting - My friend has Stargazer 8 and it was taking about 40 seconds to lock each time we started the boat - a couple runs it caught me off guard and I had the skier up to 40 mph :D I gotta check it out this week when we ski - hoping that is fixed