Perfect pass

Jack_Haase

• Baller

Hello

I recently bought a 97 prostar with the throttle body 350. I have been looking at used units for perfect pass but have no idea what will work and what will not. I know that it will not support zero off. I just want to know what single gauge means and what else I would need to run it if it just came with the unit.

• Baller

if you don't have perfect pass at all in your boat you will need to purchase the whole system from Perfect Pass (module, gauge, servo motor, rpm pickup cable, throttle cable, etc). The old single line gauges were dicontinued around 2005 i believe.

there were basically 3 variations:

Single Line (up until 2005) used Paddlewheel

Digital Pro 6.5NG - used newer style multi-line graphics display - still used paddlewheel

Stargazer (around 2008 to current) - Uses GPS

• Baller

Agree with rinle - get new stargazer, i wouldn't even bother buying a used single line.

The older units used paddlewheel speed input for trick and low speed but ignored it for slalom where it used only RPM data. But to calibrate them you needed to eitger have magnets in a ski course to trigger the timer or a hand timer and a course or an external gps and then adjust all your speeds.

And even then if you cobble together a used unit and a part fails youll be searching or oaying to upgrade.

• Baller

If you trick or wakeboard at all, add the paddlewheel. Tricking with PP and a paddlewheel is 100% as good as ZO. It's an extremely useful tool. Tricking on RPM is unskiable.

PP Classic with a switch and a savvy driver can be as good as ZO. I've had a couple decent Zbox rides. Hated Stargazer. I'd either go Classic or the latest version.

The interface is easy and reliable on any throttle cable engine. Get the entire package. You will love it.

Eric

• Baller_
@Jack_Haase : one key element, DBW v. mechanical throttle control, that determines what module you will need, servo motor & gauge are universal to either but gauge is linked to multi line or single line which is a later chip or software version 6.5 IIRC. One thing to keep in mind, PP is not really supporting the pre GPS systems (Stargazer). PP customer support is excellent & they can walk you through your questions.

• Baller

@unksskis do you already have PP? If so what do you have? Multi line or single line gauge? For what its worth, its VERY hard to find a used Stargazer upgrade (basically someone that did it and then went to ZO). I looked for over a year before I finally got one.

Depending on what you have, getting the upgrade from PP directly is the cleanest way to go. For my boat I needed a gauge and module. Trying to decide if I want to go the Zbox route also.

• Baller

I have the Stargazer version with Slalom, Wakeboard, and RPM. Not sure on multi line or single? I was researching the PP site, and wondered if there were updates available and if so are they worth it. Zbox, 3 event, etc. They have an update stick on the website, but it doesn't look available.

Thanks!

• Baller

@unksskis the update stick is defiantly available. They probably don't let you order it online because they have to know if the update is compatible with your system, no reason to sell you an update that won't work for you. I recommend the new version 9. It locks in on the speed much faster than any other version. Also, the calibration is super easy, you click run and PP does everything. Send them an email with all of your system and boat info.

Edit: I don't have Zbox so can't comment on that. If you ski in the coarse at all I recommend the 3 event. If you only free ski in open water the standard version (Wakeboard pro) is just fine, it has a simple slalom mode.

• Baller

I'm running a 6.5NG system skiing open water in 3-event slalom mode. Basic slalom mode doesn't let you tune for things like skier weight, Kx value, etc. I like to tune my pull to feel as ZO-like as possible.

FWIW, I inquired about upgrading to SG with Zbox and the PP guys said that unless it's in a mapped course, Zbox doesn't really do anything. That's unfortunate since I was hoping to get it to make my boat feel like my friend's ZO open-water tug.

• Baller

@unksskis, if you have SG, then you already have a multi line display. I just did the upgrade this summer to v9 software and its working a lot better than before. But I am still having some issues at 36 getting times dialed in with a skier. Without they are right on, but he says it feels horrible.

I only ski the course. But I never ski behind ZO. Debating if its worth doing the zbox. Probably not.

• Baller

@unksskis

Single lines as they name displays have just a single line of text across the screen - definately pre-stargazer era.

@keithh2oskier - I think you'll like it.

PP may send you a stargazer to 9.12 upgrade stick for free if you are having issues with the way the boat is locking in w/ stargazer.