Tried an RTP yesterday...

Nando

• Baller

After all the discussion of the benefits of freeing up my rear foot, I figured I'd give one a try. I assembled the RTP and old school Maha heel holder as shown, replaced my Reflex R-style, and headed to the lake. After SEVEN tries I got up. First set (out of course) felt awful. Second set, got up on the first try- progress! Felt a little better, so I shortened to -32 and on my third turn launched myself OTF- the kind where the driver was still laughing as he asked me if I was okay- I only wish I had video, you'd be entertained. So, do I give it another try or go with my instincts and bolt the R back on?

ow13nygi2alz.jpg

• Supporting Member
Depends entirely on your goals and timeframe. If you're chasing performance, especially in the near-term, then get that thing the hell off of there. But if you want to explore and learn about balance and the various subtle things that bindings do, there's plenty more left to learn with it on there.

• Baller
@WoodySkier, I used one of those many years ago, before I switched to double boots and really liked it, so I found one and put it on. I can say that it doesn't change the feel from just the toe at all. I couldn't believe how weird this felt- way back when I first tried double boots, it took me maybe two sets to feel comfortable, then when I went from Animals to the Reflex with R-style, it took about four sets, but this surprised me by how alien it felt. Scared the crap out of myself just taking it easy.

• Baller

What would be the benefit of going from double boot to RTP? I always thought of double boot being higher performance (even though some of the top skiers run a RTP)

When starting behind my dads old boat, I always got up with my back foot out of the ski, but now that I own a proper ski boat, I can start with both feet in.

• Supporting Member
@aspski Your comment in parentheses is extremely important. Obviously, Nate Smith would run double-boot if he thought that was "higher performance." Fwiw, I am a double-boot guy, but in the slalom course, especially at extreme shortline, there is an enormous need to move weight forward without bending forward, and many believe an RTP makes that easier.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan Interesting, I never gave the forward movement much thought. Personally I like to be more bolted down, so a double boot may be the way I go in the future as I feel pretty loose on the back foot with just a RTP.

• Baller
@skialex, the fit is good (I tried on a medium I had on hand and switched to a large I also had). One thing that bothered me was that my big toe was right under the release arm- not uncomfortable or anything, but I was aware it was there. The Maha heel actually kind of works like a shoehorn to push your foot into the loop. It is also angled to allow some upward heel movement. It doesn't interfere with the toe loop at all and only prevents your foot from slipping backwards (except when it didn't ;) ). What I've found with the Reflex R-style is that cranking the buckles inhibits my ability to shift my weight without rocking forward, so I run that pretty loose. My big reason for posting this is I was just surprised how much this threw me off- literally in the case of the big OTF. Then it started pouring so we didn't take a third set...

• Baller
@vtmecheng, I’m with you- I was making progress getting back after some down years and then I decided I had to mess with my setup. I went back tonight and am back to my usual mediocre skiing. Time to work on the part between my ears- that’s the problem, not the part that’s on my feet- nothing wrong with that.

• Baller

@Nando I just had a thought, r-style is level with the front reflex, Wiley’s RTP has a very thin footbed, it works for many, but for me it doesn’t work when my rear foot sits lower than my front. Maybe this is the primary reason for not liking the RTP.

Just a thought though.

• Baller_
I would agree with @Than_Bogan and it is definitely putting me on my front foot. An indicator is that I have not had to tighten the binding screws on the rear. I can tell my back foot was the go to in troubled times and if I try that with the HRTP I can’t get the angle I can with the full boot. My tendency to go the rear foot has lessened as a result of being able to center up easier. My vision and angle in and out of my on side has totally changed for the better.