best slalom wake after SN 196 (want a slightly bigger boat)?

smigforce

• Baller

Was about to pull the trigger on a 1999 SN 196 but... I am thinking a bigger boat is what we need. Have sat in a MC 197 (have not skied) - felt bigger inside and now rethinking my whole search - want to narrow which dd boats will have more space (could still be a closed bow) without sacrificing on the slalom wake. Thoughts on models/years would be great. service in area is MC, SN, BU, supra, and centurion.

Looking to spend sub $30k.

• Baller

From 97 to 02 Nautique made a step over open bow version of the ski. It is what I have. It gives space for another 2 small people or maybe 1 big person. You will probably start dipping the nose a lot if you put 2 big people up there. From a space perspective, it seems pretty comparable to the malibu LX of the time. I have enjoyed it for my family of 5. Once I get a tower on it, it will be even better for larger groups.

After that, it would seem your next best wake with more space than those two that you could still get for under 30 would be up to an LXi. Walk through open bow - bigger overall. The wake is definitely bigger than my SNOB, but in typical malibu fashion, it is also pretty soft, so it's a pretty good bigger family ski boat.

• Members

Unless you ski at -32 and shorter, you will be disappointed with the 197 wake.

Carbon Pro has the best wake, but is small and takes driver input.

Malibu has the best Open bow and a nice wake.

Nautique makes the best boat with great wakes, but the 200 sacrifices interior room for storage.

Depends on what you want out of a bigger boat.

• Baller
The Malibu Response LX has more room and a better wake at slower speeds and longer lines than the 196. I think the wake is better than the 197 also. I think the LXI wake is softer than the 196 also it is definitely bigger but the wake is a little bigger than the LX.

• Baller

Here is a picture of it that kind of shows the size of the open bow up front. It has a back seat sitting in my garage. With the pole or a tower you could sit a bunch of folks back there as well.

iu092tgcejd9.jpg

And below is a link to my youtube page that shows it at a few various speeds and line lengths.

• Baller
Somewhat related. I have a lead on a 2002 197 prostar TT with 400 hours. I know the owners and am curious what people think of this year and model and what I should expect to pay. I have tried searching around and the reviews don't look great....I would only buy if it were a "good" deal...and not a lot of sales info out there. Need to get handle on price before doing a test ride.

• Baller
They're sweet-looking boats. People tend to dog the 197 wakes as not being that good but I certainly didn't mind my substantial time behind my buddy's mostly at 28 and 32 off, both 34 and 36 MPH. Where people tend to like them less is out at 15 and 22.

• Baller_

I ski behind a 197 at least once a week. I do tweek the boat myself but it is still a great skiing boat. Not sure why people tend to discount that model MC.

Last weekend had my best rd behind a 12 Malibu response. Another boat to consider also is the previous model Malibu.

The Nautique 206 skis well also provided it does not have a tower on it.