2017 response txi question

Conor

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_
I’m not sure I like exposed wires (even inside wire nuts) in an engine compartment with fuel vapors. I’ve seen wires slip out of wire nuts before. Best to shrink tube the connections or solder and wrap tightly with electrical tape.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
Note: if the power issue is an inlet air restriction adding an exhaust blower may not be the complete solution. An ambient air source would need to be added to allow the additional blower to bring in the cool outside air to supply the engine and properly evacuate the hot air. The MC Prostar did that by converting a cup holder to an air inlet hole.

Would be nice if Malibu chimed in and somehow gave boat schematics, to find best way to get clean air to motor. I can see the inlet air hose behind passenger seat. If the fan was installed inline at that location would it suck clean air in and push it to the motor?

• Baller
Is Malibu really not offering free dealer service to fix the issue? Not to get off topic, but last week I commented that the 14 prostars had a hard time getting to 36 & got a response that matercraft fixed all those transmissions under warranty... that had to cost more than a $50 blower

In my conversations with Malibu, they're working on possible solutions, but the dealers are not in the loop yet.

I don't have a schematic, but I have factory photos of my boat, which seem to show the path into the motor box.

849rde5304cd.jpg

I'm not at my boat (maybe someone else can confirm) but I believe the two vents in front of the windshield are connected to two hoses that connect to the two round inlets below the deck (in yellow), but then the air seems to simply "duct" through the stringers back to the middle of the motor box (in red). Clearly not a direct path to the flame arrester at the front of the motor where the AIT senor is.

@jstaab3 - where exactly are you getting your cool air supply from? Looks like you're running your hose to the port side - are you going to that port-side stringer entry half-way back on the motor?

So,.....how long until there is a fix malibu?

How long until Malibu reaches out to brand new boat owners to inform them of a situation that shouldn’t be? It’s been two seasons now that I wasted about 20 boat hours testing props that still isn’t sorted. Wasted gallons of gas along with the hours on the boat. Not to mention numerous warranty issues that stem from quality control at factory. I do understand it is a new model year boat but wtf?

Blue tooth doesn’t work properly

Over spray and defects on gel coat when it first arrived (dealer fixed)

Ski locker doesn’t drain out creating a super stinky fowl gross area in no time.

Engine cover lifter brackets have screws stripped and falls off

Jump wire harness too short, doesn’t reach bracket it is supposed to be mounted to.

Hole on passenger side bin was cut too large and mounting screws were drilled into air creating bad vibration noise

Rear bins above gas tank never fit, had dealer fix.......they still don’t fit right

Compartment to access rudder and drive shaft has stripped screws and can feel it moving under feet when on it.

Rub rail was worst I’ve ever seen on new boat from factory(dealer fixed)

WORST PART

engine doesn’t run properly

Is this normal? Crazy! Huh?

• Baller_
@Conor : Have you had the opportunity to do a side by side performance comparison? Just curious to understand if your boat has a specific issue beyond the general feedback. I would think an ECU scan should verify codes and maybe more important, if calibration is correct and/or a run history to see if something is happening such as timing retard. It does seem like there are several build issues. Good luck getting it sorted, perhaps the dealer could assist in finding you the option of doing a side by side comparison test.

• Baller
Something really un-Malibu like seems to be going on lately? I saw a big dollar Wakesetter at our local boat show with some major fit and finish flaws in plain sight. I get that all brands may have some issue here and there, but this was excessive and obvious. We looked at a new TXi back in '15, and quality, fit/finish looked perfect.

• Baller
@DW as far as the engine power goes, I don’t think this is an isolated issue. We had a new Malibu at a few tournaments this year and no one would even try it for a 36 mph skier. Was supposedly barely getting to 34 in time on a pretty decent size lake. Same issue with the last Txi they had (still a new hull) but not as bad as the 18. The quality in the 18 I was in seemed fine, it did make a very weird sound when it was put in reverse the few times I was in it.

• Baller

Have owned a few Malibu’s and have always been a Malibu guy.

Lots of Malibu’s on our lake as well that I have been in, driven or skied behind.

Have owned,

2001 Response. Great fit and finish.

2008 VTX. Great fit and finish.

2013 TXi. Long list of “how did the QC department not catch this” items.

Gel work errors, poor fitting upholstery panels, swim platform fit and spacing, hull vibration at idle, off center motor box, saggy floor on driver side so motor box doesn’t seal...I’ll stop now.

Dealer fixed what he could.

I thought...well it must be just my boat so I went online and checked photos of boats for sale...it was a re occurring theme even a few model years after mine.

Very dissapointed in how Malibus (at least the ones I have seen/been in) fit, finish and overall quality has gone downhill. Don’t know if it was the move from Cali to Tenessee that saw the downturn or just that they are building so many boats now that more stuff falls through the cracks?

Now that it’s time for a newer boat I spent time behind and in both the new TXi and Prostar.

The ‘17 TXi had lots of power but the overall looks,feel and finish just doesn’t do it for me. It kills me to jump brands but I just couldn’t get myself to stick with Malibu after the recent and past experiences.

Prostar should be here in a few weeks.

• Baller_

Not entirely true. It was used in the morning to pull B team Slalom as part of a two boat rotation with the MC. The MC and Nautique pulled A team Slalom in late morning and early afternoon. There very likely may have been concern about the A team Slalom demands for 36 mph and the increasing heat of the day (it was 85 here), but the boats were switched at the change of the teams and not suddenly or for any demonstrated shortcoming.

The Nautique and TXi pulled the Trick event in the mid and late afternoon.

I do not know what they are planning to use for Jump tomorrow.

• Baller_

The thing that surprises me most about all of this is that this lesson (in various incarnations) has been learned before. First was the catalytic converter heat issue impacting performance at the boat tests. Ironically, only Malibu passed because they apparently drove the boat stone cold when they figured out the overheat issue. Then, MasterCraft learned it and had some remove the cup holders on the engine box (now have auxiliary blower). And, here we are again with engines starved for cool air.

I’m not sure what the fix is, but something should change to ensure we don’t see it again. It’s too expensive to spend your season trying to figure out how to make your new boat run properly.

• Baller
Time to start building an intake plenum into the motor boxes. Not hard to do at all and done correctly could easily address the issue of intake noise. Snowmobiles have been doing this for years. Intake plenum on hood behind windscreen mates to an underhood intake tract with hood closed. No under-hood air ever makes its way to the intake.

It’s just weird that this only occurs in some of the boats. I had no issues with my 17 or 18 and drive the boat all day long in extreme temperatures in Louisiana. Have not experienced any loss in power. My boat runs all day at several tournaments in the south. I don’t know what has changed, Maybe word got out that Malibu was going to start building their own engines

• Baller_

Readers of this thread need to go check the pictures of the 'rare hydrodyne' thread, problem answered in 1967:)

@epnault : it works both ways, simply depending on air pressure differential when the fan is either on or off, correct it does serve as a passive vent or inlet.

@UWSkier : see pic on first page of thread, I made a ducted setup to separate underhood from ambient air and only draw ambient. Can make a 200 rpm difference when underhood temps are high (A-B test).

• Baller

@scotchipman interesting I would love to try it just for fun, of course the performance increase could just be because I am removing a Ton of weight from the middle of the boat! No way I am taking that engine cover out --- have you lifted one of those beasts!?!? haha

Sounds like Malibu is on the case and hopefully will get the issues resolved just like MC did in 14. I like skiing behind the Bu when it's up to speed.

For anyone who’s thinking of adding a blower, I was successfully able to control a 5amp blower through the touch panel, by disconnecting the motor box light (see below) and wiring in the blower instead.

Turned on blower, all lights, and stereo loud for 20min and didn’t pop the 10A breaker. I don’t have tower or swim lights, so those might put the breaker over.

ikkn5evgxe30.jpeg

Just my two cents (I'm pretty horsepower/performance obsessed)..

An engine is just a big air pump. The more cold (dense) air inside, the more power you'll get out. I think it would be really neat to machine a nice billet aluminum grate or grill (a very open one) that would replace the Malibu logo on the back of the motor box. A good machine or fab shop could make it fit well and bevel the edges so that it didn't cut into the vinyl. Gotta make it look factory, though. This would be a good start. Punching additional holes in the motor box and adding more grills/grates would help too. A lot. An engine will always be sucking in air harder than a little blower can push it into the compartment, although it is a great start to dealing with the issue, IMO.