Family ski boat for river

vtmecheng

• Baller
I have done some searching on BOS for different boat options in the $25k and below range. In the other ski boat for a family threads I see the common recommendations like early 2000s Sunsetter LXi, Response LXi, and Nautique 206. I will be using the boat exclusively in a river, where my ski club puts in a course every year. My big concern is with taking water over the bow. There are some large boats and barges on the river to contend with. Which family ski boats are better with respect to taking water over the bow? I only have experience with the Sunsetter, which seems to be good, but if there are other solid options it would be nice to keep an eye out for them as well. Thanks.

• Baller

I was using a Response closed bow for nearly 10 years in the exact same conditions you described.

Commercial barges, yachts, river cruises, Surf- & Wake-barges, you name it - we had it.

With a bit of practice and a lot of foresight you will be fine.

Of course we took the occasional wake over the bow, but mainly because of not paying enough attention on traffic. Nonetheless I was always happy to have the closed bow.

• Baller
I totally get the idea of a closed bow. My problem is that I have two kids and know we will want to take family and friends out. A bowrider seems more in line with this type of use. Is the Response OB not a good idea for where I'll be using it? Any thoughts on the Nautique 206 or a MasterCraft in that price range? Thanks.

• Baller

u3bp95eu8izf.jpeg

The Sunsetter LXi is my pick. Just skied behind one again today and just utterly amazed that the wake was 90-95% as good as my 2001 Response.

Lots of freeboard, good amount of room inside and has tons of storage room.

If you step into a 206 you will feel cramped in comparison.

The response OB in your price range either have a walk over to get to bow or are the low slung version ‘06 or older which can take on water over the bow easier than the ‘07 and newer Responses.

Get a Sunsetter LXi you will be very happy.

• Baller
Looking for just one type of boat, especially one that was only made for a few years, seems like I'm seeing myself up for a long and frustrating search. Guess I was hoping for better news on this. While smaller than the Sunsetter, how is the Nautique 206 with taking water over the bow?

• Baller
  • Baller

Sunsetter came in a few iterations over the years and the notch in the transom is the tell-tale of the LXI. They also offer an LX, which in some iterations looks like the LX but it’s on a different hull (no notch) which was designed more for wake sports. The LX also was missing a rear storage locker in earlier years.

There was also a Sunsetter (not LX or LXI), I owned one and in 2000 it was offered on the “LXI hull” but it didn’t have that notch making it a little shorter boat. They are a little more rare and could be optioned with the wake hull as well but it gives you a second model to look for.

Another darn good recreational boat that might get into your price range is the Malibu Sunscape 20 LSV. Yes it’s a v-drive but at 32 MPH and up the slalom wake is quite a surprise. It will have more free board and at lower speeds ride “bow up” which may help on the river. Just have to make sure it’s on the “Diamond hull” which is more slalom friendly.

• Baller

@vtmecheng yep understand the v-drive apprehension which is why I always mention it needs to be run 32+ for slalom. If you go slower, forget it as an option for course work.

I’ve had my Sunsetter on some of the KY and TN lakes (mostly Cumberland and Dale Hollow). If you give the big boats space and pay attention it was ok. After changing to the Reaponse LXI there were a few situations where I turned around and ran from stuff.

Another Malibu direct drive is the Response FXI, but they are more rare than Sunsetters.

• Baller

I remember having skied the Nautique 206 around 2007/2008 at the Swiss Ski School in Clermont.

Funny enough, it even was equipped with a Tower!

Back then, I was just starting to ski the course at 30mph.

The wake was similar to the 196 that they had running on the other lake, just a little steeper, but not bad at all!

It is pretty nose high, so even with the open bow you should be fine on a crowded river!

• Baller

I had to take a plane ride to get the boat I wanted. Burned credit card miles for it. Was worth the trip as I LOOOVE my new old boat.

Don't discount the Malibu Sunsetter LX if it's on the diamond hull. It's the same running surface as the LXi without the overhang and bigger trunk. It's also not quite as nice on the inside but for handling and wake avoidance, it'll be every bit as good.

But really, LXi is where it's at. I have a ski buddy with a 206. That boat always felt like a locomotive to me and it didn't have any speed control. Just an immovable object. The wakes aren't as nice as the Malibu IMO. They're small but firm. Like the non-diamond Malibus actually.

• Baller

'01-04 LXi is where I'd start. The '99-00 is a fine boat also but I don't care for the dash as much as the '01 and later. They were available with the carbed engine. I'd look for a Monsoon or LS1. Avoid the Hammerhead from those years. If you find a rare one with a Black Scorpion, that's a fine engine also.

Incidentally if looking at regular Sunsetter, I'd also start in '01.

• Baller_

@vtmecheng : That appears to be the Mercruiser Tournament ski engine package. Mercruiser is considered a high quality engine marinizer by the boat manufacturers. A Merc equipped boat is an attractive option. I have noted the hardware comparison between Merc and Indmar, the Merc stuff tends to have a higher quality and more finished look / appearance / feel but that is just my observation.

I agree with previous posts that a Sunsetter is an excellent and probably top pick for your application. I suggest you peruse the Malibu Crew website, you will find lots of information on the Sunsetter and what people think of them. It is a very active forum so plenty and current feedback is there. You will be challenged to land a one, the people that have them, love them and tend to keep them.

Happy hunting and good luck.

• Baller

I could be wrong but I have never seen a Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI in an Malibu Sunsetter LXi. Isn’t that motor rated at 300HP? A bit underpowered?

I see some yellow/red flags here. I would ask questions,

Is this the original motor?

If not why was it replaced?

Why is the bottom painted with what looks like anti-foul paint?

Did this boat spend time in a harsh environment like salt or brackish water?

It is unusual to see aluminum trailers unless the boat sees salt water.

• Baller

Saw more pics of it online. I would definitely pass on that one. Lots of evidence of salt corrosion and damage.

@foxriverat interesting that is was definitely an option. Sure an option that I’ve never seen before in any Malibu for sale ever. Seen the Scorpions but never the 350 mag mpi.

• Baller
Mercs were an option in Malibu back around the turn of the century. Not sure when they switched from the Merc tournament series to the black scorpion (another Mercruiser model I referenced above). We had a club '03 Response with the Black Scorp and it was a nice mill.

• Baller

Bringing this thread back. I finally got a tow vehicle and am moving from just looking in case the perfect boat comes along to let's find a boat. I'm not in a rush and don't want to buy something just to have a boat. Following what was said here already, I'm primarily looking for a Sunsetter LXi or Nautique 206 OB.

That said, this 2001 Prostar 209 struck my fancy. I grew up with a yellow boat so it just brings back that childish joy. That aside, I've read it isn't a good wake at slower speeds or longer lines. Would I be foolish to even consider this boat? Being in Richmond, I have family that can go take a look if it's worth the time.

• Baller
I have a 2002 MC 209 and we love the boat .I only used the boat in. slalom course for 1 yr. great family boat and open water boat . that being said. I am helping someone sell a 2002 Malibu sunsetter LXi. let me know if you want any details?

• Baller
@vtmecheng Take @SkiKolb up on the Sunsetter LXi for sale. I have a ski partner with a 209. She hates it. She's not very aggressive and skis mostly 15 off. She much prefers the wakes of my Malibu Response, which has pretty much the same wakes as the SS LXi.

• Baller

I have an 01 Sunsetter lxi and its an amazing boat. Plenty of room for friends but still has very good slalom wakes. Deep freeboard and never had a problem taking water over the bow on larger lakes. I would highly suggest that the SS lxi is the way to go. Keep a constant watch on craigslist, kijiji (might just be a canadian thing) only inboards etc. Also check out malibucrew.com to see if there are any leads there.

The other boat I would suggest is a Tige 20i. I skied behind a ~2007 ish model and the slalom wakes were amazing. Very deep freeboard as well so no problem with waves over the bow. We packed 12 people in it for wakeboard/surf sessions and it was good for that too.

• Baller

@vtmecheng not sure your budget, but this one looks pretty cherry.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2003-Malibu-Sunsetter-LXi-for-sale-Lexington-Kentucky-91776.aspx

Already has PP with smart timer if your course has magnets. Also has the multi-line display already for easier upgrade to V9 and ZBox if you're so inclined. '03 was a really good year for Malibus. I'd try to find out if the ECM has the latest flash. From the factory, they tended to have an "idle flair" coming in and out of gear around docks, tightening the line, etc. You'd pull to neutral and the revs would go up a bit for a second to prevent stalling. Slight nuisance at worst.

• Baller
@UWSkier that is clean looking. 850 hrs is at the upper end of what I would want, especially with an asking price of $23k. Basically buying a car with 85k miles on it, from my understanding. I'll email the seller and see what he/she says.

• Baller
Bringing this one back front the dead. I actually have two boats I'm looking at and working on getting a fall deal. With that, I'm still keeping an eye on what comes up and noticed a 2001 Supra Legacy available. I have no knowledge of the boat and how it would be skiing or if it would be horrible on public water with a group on board. Anyone been on one of these?

• Baller
@vtmecheng I’ve spent a lot of time on rivers and as long as you’re paying attention you should be fine. Not like cabin cruisers plowing along at 15 mph are gonna sneak up on you! Take it slower to keep the nose up. With people in the bow the boat will ‘dunk’ deeper on the downside of a wake but any water you may take in should drain and the bilge will pump it out. I had a Centurion with the turned down style nose and really had to learn how to keep from flooding the boat a few times! Good luck!

• Baller
I have a 02 Sunsetter LXI and just love it. Lots of room great ski wake and handles like a dream. One of the guys I ski with has a 98 Malibu Sportster and you really can’t tell the difference in the wakes. Be patient and wait for one to turn up you won’t be disappointed!