Help me pick a new ski please!

buechsr

• Baller

Hello ballers, I need your help picking out a new to me ski. I can't justify a new ski at my level, and don't really have the opportunity to demo without buying, so, need your recommendations!

About me: I skied the most (and best) I ever had about 6 years ago. Weighed around 200 and rode a 2005 68" d3 Nomad. Ran 34/22 90% of the time and 34/28 25% of the time. PB of 3 @ 34/32. Got a Z7 XT but blew an insert out and never fixed it.

Since then, I got fat and moved off the lake. Since THEN, I've dropped 40 pounds and now to 180...but I'm STILL on a 13 year old too big for me Nomad. This fall I got back on the water and I've been running 34/22 50% of the time, mostly due to timing issues, but my offside turns have been just terrible. Four ball blows half my passes (LFF).

So, long story short, I'm blaming my ski and am ready to step it up (relatively speaking).

The following skis are on ski it again and have my interest. All are 67". Again, I'm now 180.

Please provide your thoughts and suggestions! Thanks!

2018 radar senate alloy $375

2015 HO Vtype $400

2016 HO Cx superlite $550 (seems overpriced)

2017 Radar Vapor pro build

2017 HO VTX $600

2016 Radar Vapor Alloy $200 (can you really go wrong with a $200 ski?)

last option: fix my Z7 (68")

So what say you guys? I'm hearing very mixed things about whether to stay with a "tournament" width or go wide like senate/Cx. I realize Asher can run 41 on a CX, but he can probably also run 32 on a 2x4!

• Baller

Of those choices specifically I'd go 17 Vapor. Outside of those choices, almost any top-level ski made 2012 or later. Any D3, 14+ Vapor, HO S2, any modern Goode. I'm not a big believer in the lower-level skis actually "helping" a lower level skier, nor that a higher level ski is somehow subtractive at longer lines.

Fixing the insert on the Z7 is a fine option, by the way, and I know somebody that still kills on a Nomad FWIW. Certainly capable of running 22 100%.

• Baller

jhughes, thanks! To clarify, the Vapor pro build and not the alloy?

Hopefully my post was not coming off as that I think my nomad is holding me back! I guess I'm just ready for a change since something is continually happening (technique, I know) that I'd like a fresh start (and a me-present for losing weight)!

Thanks for your thoughts. So, essentially, even at my long line length, get the "best" (highest shortline performing) ski I can swing?

• Baller
@buechsr I'm in a similar situation where it isn't easy to try skis which makes it challenging to decide. I also believe there's a lot of skies available that would work well at our level. I currently have a 2015 Senate Graphite and a 2017 Vapor Pro Build. The transition between the two was fairly easy for me. Biggest difference I found is the senate is more forgiving then the vapor. What that means for me is I can be back foot heavy on the senate and still make the pass. If I get on the back of the vapor in the pre-turn it turns like a school bus and I really scramble to make the pass. I think skiing the Vapor has forced me to ski more technically correct and has helped advancement.

• Baller

Why your level does not justify a new ski? Ok or a new or a very good second hand top of the line ski? If you ski at -28 at 34 or shorter you are a very good skier. Where I ski a lot of 15off skiers ski the latest top of the line ski and I’m not saying this is the best thing but it works.

What ever you buy, proper fin and boot setup is crucial, then and only then you can blame the Indian :)

• Baller
@Booze that has me tempted to buy it. I got rid of a 9960 Mid then spent 2 years struggling to find the love again and got a Fire Mid and felt like I was home again. I never tried the XTM. I skied that ski up to 225 pounds and it worked great.

• Baller
@buechsr I used the Senate when first learning the course at 15 off 30 mph to consistently running 15 off and 22 off at 30, 32 and 34 mph. Curiosity and finding a sweet deal is the only reason I bought the Vapor. My season is long done but on the Vapor I skied 22 at 32 mph consistently and 28 at 32 inconsistently.

• Baller

@buechsr I agree with most and with you that there is really no need to go with a sub-high end ski, but definitely ok (and smart) to look for a demo/closeput/used ski to save on $$$’s. I’m biased but I moved to Connelly skis for both myself and many of my clients based on riding the ski and loving it. I think you should at least consider the Connelly GT or GTR in your quest to find the right ski! A lot of energy has gone into the design and testing and Connelly products and it shows.

That having been said, I think the best thing you can do is make sure you rest some skis before you buy them if you can make that happen...or at least buy a ski at a price where you know you could sell it if you decide it isn’t best for you.

My two cents...

• Baller

I moved from a 2011 HO Syndicate S1 to 2019 Radar Vapor Pro Build this past season. I ski @32mph / far from competition level. Went from 6@28' to 6@32' in about 3 weeks.

And I tried the hybrids of 2018 HO Syndicate Omni and 2018 Radar Senate Lithium in between. The Vapor brings better results. I am super happy with it.

• Baller
There has been a lot of great input given on this thread. Figured I put my 2 cents into the mix as well. While buying a used ski can be a great savings, you never really know how that ski was treated other than by obvious damage shown on the ski. That ski could have been skied on hard by someone who skis aggressively and may have taken a lot of sets on it. There could have been a lot of big crashes taken by that aggressive skier as well. I’d say this scenario would be like buying a car with no odometer. On top of this, anyone selling their previous skis have moved on to something they consider to be better (or else they would not be selling). Of course there can be a gem on the bargain rack as well so there’s a chance you get a lightly used ski in great condition. As you can tell, I recommend buying new and buying the highest level materials for a given ski that you can afford. Do your research and listen to posts on websites like BOS as you are hearing from real skiers who have experience with products you are looking into. I’m biased as I design some of the skis you are looking at. The 2019 Radar Pro Build and 2019 Senate Pro Build are both top level competition waterskis and are more than capable to help take your skiing to the next level. Good luck on your ski purchase and let us know how it works out for you.

• Baller_
I was skiing on a 1994 era HO VTX; struggling with 30mph passes, figured I just wasn't much of a skier. Got a HO Superlite CX last season; PB's started by the 2nd set; this year I made my 1st ever 34 mph pass - used to be scared to free ski that speed! As has been said so well, try lots of skis, get new/lightly used if possible; you will be amazed. Superlite no longer made, Omni took it's place & I hope to try it next season to compare

• Baller
My story is a lot like buechsr. I tried to ski the course a few times every summer since the mid 90's. But started chasing buoy's a few times a week last year and I am now running 22off@34MPH about 50% of the time. I am skiing on an early 2000's HO Phantom. I still believe I can improve on my current ski but I have been wondering if a new ski will get me a better buoy count? And if so what ski would be best? I am in South Carolina so trying to demo a ski in a wet suit and cold water would not allow me to compare performance to what I am on now.