Chipped used ski

Lurdan

I recently bought a 2018 GT on SIA and it looks like the ski was dropped pretty hard on its tail in the shipping process or before it was sent delaminating the sidewall and chipping some of the topsheet off of the tail. Is there anything I can do about this?

Accidentally posted this into the wrong subcategory. oops.

3bvwdxnful95.jpg

26hh2jmhxljv.jpg

• Baller

Not a big thing, easy fix. Sand of or cut off the loose pieces, sand it a little bit more on the damaged area. Put masking tape around the damaged area, use a two parts adhesive, Jb weld or AB Modified Acrylate or similar. When dries cut the excess glue or leave it until it is cured and then sand it. Use a matching (black probably) vinyl or bumper spray for best finish.

• Baller

Seems like a big thing. Core is exposed and the structural integrity of the ski is compromised by the fin where some of the biggest load is. Not to mention nobody wants to glue together a 2018 ski that they likely thought was brand new condition.

I'd talk to the seller and have them file a claim with the shipper

• Baller

@oldjeep The extreme tail is not loaded much. It just needs to hold together and not affect the flow around it. A JB Weld repair should last until it gets dropped on the tail again.

If the ski was misrepresented or damaged in transit then there may be something to do. But buying someone's used ski has its own issues. The pictures look like you should be able to get a durable performance ski with a little repair work. I've fixed way worse.

On second thought, the ski is shot. Send it to me for proper disposal.

Actually, I just commented so I could use that line.

Eric

• Baller
If you don't end up having a claim I'd just try filling it with Marine Tex. That stuff is strong and durable as all get-out. I use it for patching up dings in the underside of my ski boat boat and sealing off leaky rivets on the underside of my tin boat. Fill the ding in with Marine Tex, let it harden, sand it down smooth and paint over the Marine Tex to match the ski. I doubt you'll have any problems with it after that.

• Baller
These cores don’t absorb water. Take a look at 90% of the fin slots these days, if not 100%. You’ll see exposed foam. Like Eric said, that is the extreme tip of the ski, so fill it, sand it, and ski it. It’s unlikely that the shipper insured it for full value because that doubles the shipping cost. If you didn’t pay shipping, or specifically ask for the insurance, I’d bet it’s the standard minimum.

• Baller

Pretty confident the new cores will not absorb water, or any liquid for that matter. Otherwise they would soak up all that resin that is poured over the ski and fabric during manufacturing. Also, fin slot, and most binding inserts will create access for water entry on most / all skis.

I'd be worried about delamination, water getting between the core and carbon,

easy fix if it isn't insured.