Bryant Nautique 200 vs Nautique 200

eleeski

• Baller

For some reason, I can't post in the trick section where my evaluation belongs. But I did get to coach SDSU for a slalom session so maybe my input is relevant.

Wednesday I got a trick set behind SDSU's new Bryant Nautique 200. It's been a year since I've tricked behind a 200 but back then I had a lot of rides. The new boat was a bit of an adjustment from my recent rides behind my 11 MC, the old American Skier or the new Nautique. The wake was very flat with no white water marking the top. It was reasonably big so if I went late enough I could get good air. The table was a bit rough but manageable. After struggling a little, I remembered that I skied the 200 slower. After slowing .2mph things got more familiar. It was a nice ride.

The next day I got a ride behind a 2017 200. I started with the slower speed. Honestly, I'm not sure I can really say there's a difference. Another nice ride.

The 200 is not my favorite wake. The wake is similar to a Malibu but the table is much firmer. I keep the speed up for the Malibu to make it work. The new MC is steeper than the 200 or the Malibu - but not much and a little smaller (with the weighting I've skied). My old MC rocks. The new Nautique also is excellent. I love the American Skier.

The Bryant 200 is a decent boat that will not hold you back in tricks.

Today I rode in the Bryant 200 for slalom practice. The wake looked good. The new driver was able to do fine pulling Curtis at 28off. ZO felt normal. The water was really good and several PBs were set. Proof that it's a good slalom boat.

Bottom line: a nice boat but not magic. When I win the big lottery, I'll get the new Nautique. Until then, my old MC will have to do...

Eric

• Baller
Being that they come out of the same molds from the "old" 200, I wouldn't imagine there should be any difference in performance? After seeing both now, I'd personally buy the 200. My skiing ability and the needs of my family wouldn't justify the added cost, but I do appreciate how sweet the new SN is.

• Baller

@jcamp I'm not sure what I should have called it. It's not the currently promoted tournament Nautique so I referred to the builder to differentiate it. No offense meant.

@jimbrake Curtis will graduate soon. We will miss him, both for his skiing skills and for his leadership. The good part of working with college kids is watching them grow into good competent people. The hard part is that they eventually move on. I'm sure he will remain a valuable part of the waterskiing community - like other graduates.

Eric

• Baller

@swc5150 There was speculation about weights and molding differences. The good news is that the new version skis pretty close to the earlier version. The (Bryant) Nautique 200 might not be a move forward from the old 200 but it certainly is not a move backward.

I thought the completely new Ski Nautique was a move forward. I'd love to get more time behind that. So I was bummed when SDSU got this boat. I'm not so bummed seeing how well this 200 skis - but I do love the new boat and will have to find other ways to get time behind it.

Eric

Thanks, @Chef23

Its a great testament to the good health of our sport that a company can take a 9 year old design, have it built at Bryant, not have a promo program to support it and be able to sell it for ONLY $70k+. Hopefully it will encourage MC and Malibu to continue to innovate and support.