GT40 Intermitent Start

Skoot1123

• Baller
Alrighty Ballers - time to delve into another boat discussion. I have a 2001 SN 196. Put the boat in last night and went to start the engine and just heard an initial click of the starter and then it died. All power was lost. Flipped the power switch to regain power and the same thing happened. Ended up crawling under the dash but couldn’t find anything wiring related that looked out of place. Connections were tight. Checked over connectors in the engine compartment and verified contacts were ok. Turned power back on and it fired up. After a quick set and pulling into the boat dock we turned it off. Restarted it with no problems a couple of times. Anyone else have this happen? Could it be a bad cell in the battery? Thanks for the suggestions.

• Baller

Could be the starter relay. It's mounted under the ECU. It's a bit of a PITA to get to but aside from a voltage issue that's a common culprit and wears out over time.

Starter Relay

As a minor niggle the 196 nomenclature didn't come until 2002, your boat is a Ski Nautique :smile:

• Baller
Same problem has cropped up again gents. I’m not convinced it is the starter gone bad (is with a bad or worn winding) but I haven’t been able to diagnose if the relay is bad. I put the code in, hit start and the fuel pump turns on, hit start and click. Re-enter the code hit start again and it lights up but no fuel pump sound. Hit start and it just turns off. Flip the power switch enter the code hit start , nothing on the fuel pump, press start and it fires up. Any other thoughts?

• Baller_

Check for corrosion on the positive battery cable. You may need to trim a few inches off the cable and put on a new connector. I'll bet a beer that's it.

Second most likely are the relays on the back of the motor, but you would not get the "click" caused by not enough current to the starter.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Maybe a little clarification on the click - it is not a low voltage click that is associated with a bad battery (ie: clickety clickety clickety). It is a single click like the starter or relay is trying to engage but just doesn’t. I will check that over though @Bruce_Butterfield!

• Baller
I've been having issues. Wrote about it on correctcraftfan. Replaced the coil. Done. Simple automotive version found just about anywhere. I haven't run it much since though. I also replaced the 10 buck relays just because.

• Members
@jhughes may be right on with the starter relay. The symptoms are similar: single click but then when it does start, it starts right up. Fuel pump comes on with the initial start power. If that relay hasn't been ruled out, it is an inexpensive and relatively simple fix.