Help an old lady find a new ski

hchwilson

• Baller
I've been skiing about 45 years. I'm 5'6 and around 125. The last 25 years or so, I've slalomed on an EP Vector 66-67 inches (I bought one new and later found another on eBay). I've tried other skis over the years but didn't like them. I'm now in search of a new ski (used is OK) as one of mine has died and the other isn't far from it. I consider myself intermediate...just from years of experience. I ski around 30 mph, depending on conditions, and find it fun to hold an edge/spray as long as possible. Some skis I've tried over the years didn't allow me to do this. Yeah, I'm older and an "easier" ride would be appreciated. Any suggestions?

• Baller
So fun to hear stories of passionate skiers. I would suggest looking at a 65 Radar Lyric Graphite or 65 Radar Senate Lithium. Both of these skis are built out of the same mold but utilize slightly different materials (the senate has the better materials as can be seen from the price tag). These skis are designed from Radars high end tournament ski (The Vapor) and then 0.2" of width is added to the ski. The added width makes skiing a little easier on the body but by keeping the outline profile the same as well as the rocker, the ski skis like a tournament ski. To me, this is a perfect match for what you are looking for. Both of these skis will be a drastic upgrade in materials from what you are currently using and will feel easier on your body. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Baller
I appreciate the suggestions and will look at both of those! The Radar P6 has been on my radar but I'm worried it is too wide and/or "beginner" for me. I would love to demo a few skis, but don't have a shop close by.

• Baller
The P6 is no longer in production and I believe it is a bit wide for what you have described you would like to do with it. Radar makes a 0.4" wider version of the Vapor (the tournament ski) called the Union. This is a very good ski as well, but I will stick with my first suggestions are your very best options. I prefer to buy new products especially if you plan on using them for many years to come.

• Baller

@hchwilson Good to see you here. Always refreshing to see people on here who aren't the standard typical middle age to old age dude.

Be careful thinking that the wide skis can't also handle some aggression. This video of Horton on the Katana certainly would argue otherwise.

As I understand it, the Katana is the closest replacement of the old P6, although it definitely isn't a drop in direct replacement. I've been amazed at the P6 that my Dad got about 3 or 4 years ago. My Dad loves it because at 73, it's easy to get up and it's just a nice solid smooth ride for his overall gentle style.

However, for a few years, my nephew (18 yo now) didn't have any other ski to learn on than "Grandpa's P6" (69") and after a summer of skiing a bunch on that ski, I was amazed to see how aggressively a 17 year old kid at 120 pounds was ripping on that giant ski. It reminded me a lot of Horton on that video at 22 off and 30 mph. The kid was tearing it up on a ski that was way too big for him and way too wide to be skiing that aggressively. But he was!!!

After saying all those great things about the P6, I'll have to also say, I'm on my second senate and still loving it. Then senates are super awesome as well.

So anyway, that's one of the nice things about the radar line. They have a nice progression all the way from the fattest skis to the skinniest. From there, you just find where on that spectrum you want to be in the compromise between a ski that is "easy" for both getting up and for staying on top of the water at slower speeds and a ski that is snarling, aggressive and ready to flex muscle and hit the throttle hard.

• Baller

I am “your people”! I have loved to ski since I was 12. And that has been a while, lol.

A few years ago I bought a Radar Senate, which was great and helped me get the confidence to make it through the course. Upgraded to a Senate Lithium and it is amazing. I think the coolest thing is that moving from one to the next was nearly seamless. And the folks at Radar seem as excited as I am about my skiing. Radar has a great plan!

at your weight i don t think i would go any wider than a senate and the 19 senate is a great ski .i have a 16 senate graphite its a good ski but my young blokes 19 senate graphite is a different shape and a lot better ski

• Baller

@hchwilson if you'd like to try a ski before making a decision, we have a demo program here at HO.

Details here: https://www.hosports.com/demo

I'd suggest a 65" Carbon Omni. It performs very well at your speed and is going to be much easier to ski on than your older EP.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
@hchwilson some good ski suggestions above. If you’re used to and like the rubber bindings on your EP ski, you might consider getting Wiley brand bindings for whatever ski you buy. This binding is going to be the most similar to what you likely have.