Please Demo Skis, Here,s My Story

Stevie Boy

• Baller

4 yrs ago I went to ski with a friend in Florida, he suggested that he might have something better for me to ski on, we set it up, my bindings went straight on in the correct position, the ski was so much smoother and I wasn,t dropping any passes, skied on it for two years, then the same manufacturer brough a newer version but with new material in the core which was more durable and performed better etc, I brought one online, set it up my bindings went striaght on where they needed to be and skied on it for a week , then discovered that there was a problem with the fin slot, the manufacturers customer service was second to none and a replacement ski was sent immediately, I have been on that ski for two years, then reached the age where I would be skiing at 32mph, several people suggested that the same company made a good ski that was more suitable for lower speeds, I broke the Golden Rule you should always demo a ski before purchase, I brought the ski only to discover that my bindings would no longer be able to achieve stock measurement let alone any adjustment after that, strange as the previous skis from that manufacturer was ok, this was not by a small amount , with my front binding as far back as it would go, I needed to go back another 7 1/16 to achieve stock and 11 1/16 to be where I wanted , there was also issues regarding the rtp.

Had I demo the ski, I would have found this out and not brought the ski, yes I could of messed around with different plates etc, but not for me.

When spoke to the manufacturer they stated that they optimized their skis for their bindings and the holes were correct, they did offer a solution which meant spending more money and ending up with a non standard ski to sell at a later date.

My preferred Binding arrangement is Front Tfactor & Ho rtp.

SO PLEASE DEMO A SKI BEFORE PURCHASE to avoid the dissappointment and unecessary cost that I experienced

• Baller
Want to be certain I understand your situation. Are you stating in order for you current front binder to fit the stock setting, you need to go back 7-11 INCHES? Typically binder movement forward or back from stock is in less than 1/4 inch increments, maybe 1/2 inch tops. What length of ski is it and what is the stock setting for front boot placement? Typically measured from front heel to tail of ski.

• Baller

@paul413ski , I am based in the UK, it seems that I am now excluded from purchasing anymore product from that manufacturer because my preferred binding setup is no longer suitable for their skis, really annoying seeing that I have been on their skis for the last four years, but they have changed things for 2019.

If you do not demo you could end up with a ski you cannot use, this company do not declare at point of sale what bindings are suitable for their skis, where as other manufacturers DO !

Yes I am some what annoyed, but even more annoyed that I did not take my own advice and Demo the ski before purchase.

• Baller

@markn with my binding fully back I needed to go another seven sixteenths to acheive stock position, to run the ski a further quarter of an inch back from stock that was recommended to me with the front binding fully back, I would of needed to go back eleven sixteenths, the rtp would of needed drilling and I would of only achieved one position with no further adjustment possible.

A whole new game compared with their previous skis.

67" ski stock position thirty and one half to the back of front binding , I could only get thirty and fifteen sixteenths

• Baller

@addkerr as I said my preferred binding setup is Tfactor Front and HO RTP, I have no wish to use a sticky plate, plus they are not a cheap option,

I had no previous issues over the last 4 years with that setup on this manufacturers ski, I am not sure if this issue is only on this particular product.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Baller

I get the pains. However to be clear you are running a d3 binding an ho binding and it sounds like a radar senate. Being that there really is no universal binding pattern you will probably need to modify the binding plates

Drills and files and a few cold ones.

• Baller
@Stevie Boy I understand seems really unusual. If it does interest you I think one of my members has a plate he never used so cheaper option if you go down that route. Just to clarify this is the reflex bondplate. Universal plate adapter. Feel free to pm me

• Baller

@BraceMaker I understand what you are saying but it has never been a problem until now, I have had a lifetime of drilling and filing, but in this case it would be the impossible task the only way you would make it happen is to make your own universal plate with front binding and rtp built onto the plate or take the option that @addkerr is suggesting, the other option of course is to buy a EVO-S which at this moment in time seems much more attractive, but I will definitely demo the ski before I part with money.

It is a shame that the Tfactor front plate has a cut away at the front if that wasn,t there and the plate continued the full length, I may have been able to elongate the slots, the rtp had issues as well .

It maybe worth while D3 looking at that as it would give a bigger range of movement, they may sell a few more bindings.

I just do not want people to fall into the trap that I did.

• Baller

I'm just looking at it from the backwards perspective, used to be every front binding was different. Now they're mostly the same hole pattern - but you've noted sometimes its shifted a bit so its just so much easier than it ever has been.

The rear binding patterns are annoying and I do really wish the whole industry would just get together and develop a Pattern and spacing.

• Baller
@Stevie Boy how does the current T factor mount to the plate? Can that be adjusted? I run radar boots on an HO ski and I have big feet. I had to remove the boot from the plate, drill new holes for the boot further forward, then remount the boot to the plate. To be clear I did not change how the plate mounted to the ski but instead changed how the boot mounted to the plate. My issue was opposite yours. I couldn't go far enough forward to match stock. Now I can.

• Baller

@PurdueSkier

I tried that by drilling and counter sinking the ten holes underneath, the heal ended up overhanging the plate obviously the footbed was way out, but the rtp had to be drilled to fit it, but just not where I wanted it, by the time I tried to demo the ski my head was gone, I had already made my mind up I didn't want it, to sort the rtp out I would of had to make a independant plate, regardless of position the back holes would not line up, I drilled some but like I said just not there for me.

Generally that HO RTP will go on anything.

I did try the ski, it felt awful, not something I wanted to be standing on.