Futher of ski cores

Joelh

• Baller_
How about the records set on non-carbon, non-foam, non-fiberglass products, like wood? Seems like 52 years ago a 14 year old kid set his first record on a Maharajah. Try turning that ski today.

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier you are older than I am my brain doesn't always go that far back :smile: I did actually learn to run the course as a kid on a Northland Bantam and remember my Dad skiing on a Maha. I still have a Maha high wrap in my basement but I haven't been tempetd to ski on it.

• Baller
@Chef23 we are experiencing some great performing skis right now, probably one of the greatest eras in our sport, I am not sure the equipment comes into the equasion, its more about the individual standing on it, yes we can embrace new materials, but is it humanly possible for the Pros to push the boundary any further and would different materials play a part, the Pros already take my breath away they are extrodinary to say the least.

• Baller

Super Long answer here about PMI. I believe it is replacing PVC (polyvinyl chloride) or Polystyrene Foam materials, or honeycomb. PMI stands for Polymethacrylimide. It is a polymer foam. This is not a new material. One article indicated that it was developed about 1970. You can order some from Rohacell right here: https://www.rohacell.com/product/rohacell/en/contact/. Also the Chinese company Casem makes it and calls their PMI “Cascell”. https://www.pmifoam.com/

It sounds like the current ultimate foam material for waterski cores. But there is always something new … look at snow skis where the construction may be done in many ways each of which can produce a great ski.

Advantages of PMI (highlights from below):

• High Modulus (modulus means ratio of Applied Stress to Resulting Elastic Strain)

• Does not need to become “foamed” within a cavity so more consistent, uniform properties

• Because of High Strength/Modulus/Strength Efficiency (Strength to weight ratio) the foam core contributes to mechanical properties of a composite sandwich structure like a waterski. Therefore, you can lessen the graphite or other fiber-reinforced polymer layers that wrap the core.

• Highly Closed Cell Microstructure. So it will resist water absorption.

• Good Fatigue Performance under dynamic loads

• Isotropic: same properties in all directions.

• Bonds well to Epoxy Adhesive systems

A couple links:

https://www.pmifoam.com/news/physical-and-chemical-properties-of-pmi-foam.html

https://www.pmifoam.com/news/polymethacrylimide-pmi-foam-is-a-closed-cell-rigid-foam-material.html

• Baller
@Stevie Boy I too agree that we are currently going through one of the best eras in slalom waterskiing. The level that has been achieved not only by the top one or two, but many now is downright impressive. In pro mens slalom, 39 off used to be the gold standard, now it is a requirement just to make it through the first cut. The same phenomenon is happening through the amateur ranks. While I do believe we are progressing with our understanding and application of slalom ski techniques, the progression of slalom ski design and the materials used to create these skis are a huge player in the overall heightened performance of the sport. Products like PMI and Textreme Carbon infused with Innegra are the absolute best construction combination we at Radar have found to push the performance limits of the skis design. Another important thing to remember is the epic rise in quality and design of the products being offered to entry level on up to the tournament skier. These skis have been stepped up, providing skiers with a much better platform to progress on. In Radar's case, all of the slalom skis in the Radar line are full carbon construction. This provides the aspiring skier a better performing, more responsive, lighter, easier to ski on product that makes learning to ski and learning the course easier. Also having skis such as the Radar Union and Radar Senate (wider options) to learn the slalom course on helps to make the sweet spot of learning much more approachable and accelerates the learning curve.

• Baller
@coach3 the skis are built to the same flex numbers. @gsm_peter anything that helps inspire confidence can lead to higher scores. I don't notice much with buoys but others are very sensitive to them. That being said, I have been buying Wally buoys recently.