How old is your handle and rope?

Mike

• Baller

Have an In Tow .98 Handle and Perfect Pass rope that got wet for literally just a few sets. Bought them roughly

9-10 years ago.

Returning to the sport after that same time frame. Do I pitch these or keep these? ahkd2a0rfysc.jpg

tmqvd7l6ersc.jpg

e4p1uq1hf5o2.jpg

• Administrators
Now that I see the pictures..... as long as you're not a heavy guy and you're just getting back in to slalom that rope and handle will probably be fine for a while. I would not use that rope if there were kids in the boat because theoretically, it's much more likely to break than a new rope.

• Baller_

By the way, to properly measure your handle to ensure it meets tolerances at a tournament, it needs to be put under a 20 kg (44 lb) load. I'd probably even do that right after I've skied with it and while it is still wet.

Side note: I had InTow ropes and handles for a while before getting the new Masterline rope this year. It is unlikely anything will be out of tolerance.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@Rednucleus stored in my garage and later a storage unit in open air. Were not exposed to sun. I am going to just pitch em. Don't want to get anybody or myself hurt from dry rot that you can't see.

(edit) @bananaron feels pretty comfortable using the rope and it will hopefully be safe for him. Will hang onto the 12" .98 Handle just for comparison sake with a Radar .94 13" I just ordered. I will post up when if that .98 12" handle is avail. Just cover postage.

• Baller
LOL.....Really I could probably pull a 1/2 ton pickup out of a MN winter snow ditch with that rope.I have been skiing for 60 yrs and have had many different brands of ropes and have used them for many yrs and not had a problem.For many yrs Ihave been skiing 2 to 3 times a day.If you don't want the ropes I will gladly take them and put them to use pulling some of my young students...........

• Administrators
It really depends on skiing level and how much you ski but old ropes are hard on your body. They just become stiffer over time. Old ropes are likely also a little short. 28 off or less it is not terrible but if you are into 32 or shorter get serious and use fresh ropes.