Malibu sunsetters

pjnyk

Hey guys, was reading a thread on the Malibu crew and someone said all sunsetters had the diamond hull between 99-2002. Is this true?

Here’s the link: https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/23205-sunsetter-lx-lxi/

Only reason I’m asking is because we found one in pretty good shape and it’s got some extras. If the deal we have on the 02’ Moomba outback doesn’t work out we’re gonna go with that.

• Baller
Sunsetter LXI’s ski great for their size. Currently two friends have them and my neighbor used to have one. The 19’ boats of the era have a shorter wake, but the Sunsetter LXI’s wake shouldn’t hold any skier back. If you’re a skier you want to hold out for the LXI with the diamond hull.

• Baller
Sunsetter lxi is an incredible hull for it's size and space. Not only a nice wake but handles remarkably well. Decent barefoot wake, too. With a wedge you get a wakeboard wake, and if you really wanted to weight it down and get a wake shaper could probably surf it.

• Baller

@pjnyk I have a 2001 Sunsetter LX. I slalom on a private lake that provides a boat and only free ski a few times a year behind my boat. Wakes for slalom are comparable to new slalom boats. Not sure about tracking as I have never used in a course. Very small soft wakes with no rooster tail. With the wedge and weight we wake board and surf.

This is a great all around boat.

• Baller

@UWSkier I’m not sure that is correct unless it was an undocumented dealer thing. I’ve seen some anomalies out there, some high volume dealers can get special things done on occasion.

I had a 2002 Sunsetter on the SV23 Diamond hull. We specifically waited a year for this model because as far as I knew when we ordered it the break down was

Sunsetter LXI = SV23 Diamond, 21.5 feet

Sunsetter LX = SV23, 21 feet

Sunsetter = SV23 Diamond, 21 feet

I needed the shorter hull to fit in my garage but wanted the Diamond hull.

The plain Sunsetter was a Sunsetter LX but had a Diamond hull. Regardless there are 2 visual cues, as mentioned the “step” near the transom on the running surface is usually the dead give away on an LXI. For the LX and plain sunsetters if you look at the transom from the back where the side of the hull meets the bottom there will be a slight “downward hook” which denotes a Diamond hull.